Issue: How to fix error code 0xe0000100 in Windows 10?
Hi, I can't update Windows for quite some time now. Instead, I always receive an error 0xe0000100. I tried to restart the computer and I also tried waiting but to no avail. Is there anything that could be done? Thanks in advance.
Windows errors can be particularly frustrating, especially if they impair certain vital functions of the operating system such as updates. 0xe0000100 is an error that users typically encounter when trying to update Windows – it shows up in the list of the installed and failed updates in the settings menu.
It is common knowledge that operating systems should be updated as soon as possible in order to mitigate possible software vulnerabilities, fix bugs, and implement new features. While some updates might cause troubles to users, they are usually resolved quickly by Microsoft; in most cases, the issue lies within software and configuration settings.
Update errors are very common, and we already explained how to deal with them in our other articles, e.g., 0x800703e6, 0x8007371c, 0x800f0900, etc. In this case, 0xe0000100 does not differ much in the way it shows up or even when it comes to the message it delivers:
There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0xe0000100)
As evident, the message does not provide a whole lot to go on and is pretty generic. However, this is how all the other errors within the Windows system work; the technical information is too vast to include within the error, and many users would not understand it in the first place.
There could be multiple reasons why you encounter this error, for example:
- Corrupted system files and configuration data
- Failing hardware
- Disk partition corruption
- Previously failed Windows update (e.g., due to power cut), etc.
While most of the time users face 0xe0000100 error while downloading updates, it could show up when trying to install Windows itself. This can be fixed by using an ISO file from Microsoft and restarting the process altogether. At the bottom of this article, we will explain how to do just that.
Before you proceed with the below steps, we would like to offer you an automatic solution with a FortectMac Washing Machine X9. This PC repair tool is ideal for dealing with difficult situations when it comes to Windows system file corruption, BSODs, registry errors, and much more.
Fix 1. Run DISM and SFC
One of the main reasons for the error is file corruption. This can be addressed by running SFC and DISM scans via an elevated Command Prompt.
- Type cmd in Windows search
- Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
- When User account control shows up, click Yes
- Type sfc /scannow and press Enter
- Wait for the scan to be finished and then use the following commands (don't forget to press Enter and wait for the scan to finish every time):
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- When done, restart your computer and try updating the system again.
Note: some users might encounter error 0x800f081f at this point. Proceed with the next solutions steps in this case.
Fix 2. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows troubleshooters are built-in tools that can be used for basic error fixes and malfunctions. If you are having troubles with Windows updates, try the following:
- Type Troubleshoot in Windows search and hit Enter
- On the right side of the window, select Additional troubleshooters
- Pick Windows Update and click Run the troubleshooter
- Wait for the troubleshooter to show you the results and apply the suggested fixes.
Fix 3. Run chkdsk
If there are problems with your hard drive, you could run into a 0xe0000100 Windows update error. Use chkdsk command via Command Prompt as follows:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator as explained above
- In the new window, type in the following command and hit Enter:
chkdsk c: /f /r /x
- If the check does not begin and an error is shown, type in Y on your keyboard and press Enter
- Restart your PC to begin the check.
Fix 4. Install the update manually
- Type Updates in Windows search and hit Enter
- Click View update history
- Here, note down the KB number which failed to be installed, for example, KB5004237
- Open your browser and visit the Microsoft Update Catalog website
- Type the KB number into the search bar and press Enter or click Search
- You will find many different versions on the update – you need to find the one that matches your PC specs and Windows version (as a home user, ignore Windows server versions)
- Click Download to download the update, double click the file once done
- Restart your PC.
Fix 5. Use Media Creation tool for repair upgrade
- Go to the official Microsoft website and download Media Creation Tool
- Agree to terms and click Next
- Select Upgrade this PC now and click Next
- Wait till Windows downloads all the necessary files
- Restart your PC once finished.
Fix 6. Reset your PC
Before you proceed, we recommend you disconnect all the external devices apart from the mouse and keyboard. Also, you should back up your most important files just in case.
- Right-click on the Start button and pick Settings > Update & Security
- Click on Recovery on the left side
- Under Reset this PC, click on Get started
- Pick Keep my files > Cloud download
- Wait till the necessary files are downloaded and installed
- Your PC will restart.
Fix 0xe0000100 when installing Windows
If you are facing this error when trying to install Windows, you should start anew. Here are a few things you should try:
- If you are upgrading to Windows 10 from an older version, make sure your computer meets the minimum requirements for the operating system
- Use a different USB port when using the flash drive
- Unplug all external peripherals such as printers, cameras, etc.
- Temporarily uninstall your third-party antivirus
- Reset Windows to factory settings.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.