Issue: How to fix Windows File System Error (-2147163893)?
Hello, I tried to download a game from Microsoft Store, but I couldn't, so I was advised to reset the app. Needless to say, it didn't go as planned, and I received another error – Windows File System Error (-2147163893). Please advise on what to do next – any tips are appreciated.
Windows is an intricate operating system – it had numerous versions released since the 80s, with Windows 11 being the newest Microsoft innovation. Despite the new iterations and improvements with each of the new versions, users continue to have problems with different aspects of it. Updates can't be downloaded, apps don't open, UI elements don't work as intended, etc.
While these occurrences are not prevalent and not applicable for everyone, there are plenty of issues that are experienced more often than not. File System Error “-2147163893” is one of the errors that users have been dealing with for quite some time now, and there is still no universal solution for the problem.
In most cases, the error shows up when users are trying to download or update an application through Microsoft Store. Likewise, some reported that they faced the -2147163893 error when trying to repair or reinstall the Store altogether. The message itself doesn't provide much insight into the problem, as it only shows the path of the file and the error code.
This makes it rather difficult for people to troubleshoot and solve the problem once and for all. This is especially true because the issue could come from many different aspects of the OS, for example:
- Corrupted Microsoft Store
- Damaged system files
- Bad sectors of a hard drive/SSD
- Corrupted Xbox app, and more.
Below we provide several methods that address all of these situations and show how to fix File System Error “-2147163893.” Nevertheless, before you proceed with the manual methods below, we strongly recommend you run a scan with PC repair and maintenance software RestoroMac Washing Machine X9. It can resolve the most common Windows issues, repair damaged system files, and stop Blue Screen crashes for good. Likewise, it can fix the damage that was caused by malware infection.
Fix 1. Run Windows Store app troubleshooter
If you get the error when trying to download or update apps on MS Store, you should start with running the built-in troubleshooter. While it might not always be able to solve all the related issues, it's a great thing to start from.
- Type Troubleshoot in Windows search and hit Enter
- In the new window, on the right side, click Additional troubleshooters
- Scroll down to find the Windows Store Apps entry
- Select it and click Run the troubleshooter
- Wait till all the fixes are applied and restart your computer.
Fix 2. Check your disk
Damaged sectors within your hard drive might cause the 2147163893 error. Running the CHKDSK command via Command Prompt might help you with this problem.
- Type in cmd in Windows search and press Enter
- Right-click Command Prompt result and select Run as administrator
- When User Account Control shows up, click Yes
- In the new window, type in the following command and press Enter after:
chkdsk c: /f
Note: if you are using SSD as your main drive, use chkdsk c: /f /r /x command instead
- At this point, you might receive an error that says that volume is used by another process
- Type in Y and hit Enter
- Restart your computer to start check
- The results will be displayed after the reboot.
Fix 3. Run SFC and DISM
System file corruption can be one of the main reasons for many issues, including system file errors.
- Open Command Prompt as administrator as explained above
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- Reboot your system
- If SFC returned an error, then use the following command lines, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Fix 4. Reset or repair Windows Store App / Xbox app
If your store app is misbehaving, try repairing or resetting it via the Apps and Features section.
- Right-click on Start and pick Apps and Features
- Scroll down and click on Microsoft Store
- Pick Advanced options
- Here, scroll down and click Terminate
- First, try using the Repair option and check if the problem is gone
- If it is still not working for you, try using Reset instead
- Do the same with the Xbox app as well.
Fix 5. Reinstall Windows
If none of the steps above helped, you can try using the Media Creation tool to reinstall Windows without losing any personal files. It is true that your applications will be removed and settings gone, so you'd have to redo that. As a precautionary measure, you should make data backups and don't forget to copy important files from your main drive (C: by default).
- Download the Windows installation media from the official Microsoft website
- Double-click the installer to initiate the process
- Agree to terms
- Pick Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD or ISO file) for another PC option and click Nex
- Select the Use Recommended options for this PC checkbox and click Next
- Choose ISO file and click Next
- After downloading the ISO file, right-click it and select Mount, and double-click the Setup.exe
- Accept the license once again
- Select Keep my personal files and click Install.
Similar errors you might want to check:
- How to fix file system error (-1073741819)
- How to fix File System Error (-2147163890)
- How to fix file system error (-2144927436)
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Access geo-restricted video content with a VPN
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
Don’t pay ransomware authors – use alternative data recovery options
Malware attacks, particularly ransomware, are by far the biggest danger to your pictures, videos, work, or school files. Since cybercriminals use a robust encryption algorithm to lock data, it can no longer be used until a ransom in bitcoin is paid. Instead of paying hackers, you should first try to use alternative recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data. Otherwise, you could also lose your money, along with the files. One of the best tools that could restore at least some of the encrypted files – Data Recovery Pro.
- ^ Tom Brant. SSD vs. HDD: What's the Difference?. PC Mag. The Latest Technology Product Reviews, News, Tips.
- ^ Blue screen of death. Wikipedia. The free encyclopedia.
- ^ What is malware?. McAfee. Security company.