Issue: How to Fix VCRUNTIME140.dll is Missing Error on Windows?
I can’t run Photoshop and Skype due to “The program can’t start because VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing from your computer” error. It’s strange why these two programs are affected only? Is it possible to install the VCRUNTIME140.dll file? Please help.
“VCRUNTIME140.dll is Missing” is an error that can occur on Microsoft Windows computers. Typically, the issue arises after installing a Windows update or after an unsuccessful installation of a specific program.
The pop-up informing about the missing file usually prompts the users to start looking for VCRUNTIME140.dll download link online, however, you should not download this file from shady websites, and you also must know which version is suitable for your operating system.
In this article, we are going to provide several “VCRUNTIME140.dll is Missing” error solutions so that you could solve the issue without a computer technician's help. Keep in mind that it is important to read the instructions and follow the given steps carefully to add the right version of the .dll file to your Windows operating system in order to fix the issue.
Speaking about the origins of the missing file, we must say that the VCRUNTIME140.dll is a file used by Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015. C++ package of files is installed by the software that requires it, and the separate C ++ files are further responsible for the execution of software run-time components.
Therefore, if any of the C ++ package constituents are removed accidentally, corrupted or fails to function, the programs that require C++ may not respond and fail with the following error:
The program can’t start because VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing from your computer.
Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
Common causes of the error
- Many people encounter the missing VCRUNTIME140.dll error on Adobe’s Creative Cloud. According to Adobe’s technicians, the problem may occur due to the Adobe Creative Cloud’s migration from Microsoft runtimes to Visual C ++. This change has been initiated to ensure that the Creative Cloud software is exploiting the runtimes supported by Microsoft.
- In addition, the vast majority of complains come from people saying that they are having VCRUNTIME140.dll Kodi issues. The aforementioned error message appears when starting Kodi and it seems that reinstalling the free media player software doesn't solve the issue.
- Finally, some users have expressed complaints regarding missing MVCR110.DLL and VCRUNTIME140.DLL files that won't allow WAMP software to work. Vcruntime140.dll is missing wamp can be fixed using the guidelines given below.
Fix VCRuntime140.dll Is Missing Error and Run Any Program You Want
The first thing that you should do when trying to solve the issue is to reinstall Visual C ++ from the official Microsoft’s website. If, however, the issue persists, you should try to use the link for vcruntime140.dll free download (64 bit or 32 bit) and place the file into a proper location.
If this fix doesn't help you to get rid of the problem, we suggest checking the system for malware, install the latest Windows Updates, and verify if your OS does not include corrupted files. You can find and fix corrupted system files using Reimage software. Alternative program that you can use is RegCure Pro.
Method 1. Reinstall Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015
IT specialists recommend reinstalling the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 to fix the missing VCRUNTIME140.dll error. It is important to follow official Microsoft guidelines and install the missing files properly, otherwise, you will have to struggle with each corrupted program separately, which you clearly do not want to happen.
Although you may find various download sources for this software, we would strongly recommend downloading it from the official Microsoft’s website. Here is what you need to do:
- Get Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable from official Microsoft website. Click the download button.
- You will be taken to a page which will ask you to choose the download you want. There will be two files: vc_redist.x64.exe and vc_redist.x86.exe. To put it simply, if your computer is running a 32-bit operating system, download the x86 version of the file. If you are using 64-bit operating system, choose the x64 version of the file. Simply put a tick next to the file you want and then hit Next.
- Open the file (you should see its name in the lower part of your browser window). You will be asked to read Microsoft Software Licence Terms and agree to them in order to install the missing software piece. Put a tick on “I agree to the license terms and conditions” and select Install.
- This should solve the problem you are experiencing, and various programs should no longer be showing you the described error ever again.
Method 2. Repair Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable
- Right-click on Windows start menu icon and select Control Panel. You can also find the same program by opening Search and typing “control” in the search bar.
- Open Programs & Features or Add/Remove Programs according to the OS type that you use.
- Find Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable ) (x64) – [version number] and click Change.
- When the uninstaller appears, DO NOT click “Uninstall.” Instead of that, select Repair.
- Finally, reboot the system.
Method 3. Check the system for malware
The VCRUNTIME140.dll error may also be related to virus infection. If you have tried to reinstall and fix Visual C ++ Redistributable but in vain, we would strongly recommend checking the system for malware. For this purpose, you can use any powerful anti-malware, say Reimage.
- Reinstall the program that cannot be launched because the VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing. For instance, if Skype or Skyrim has been affected, uninstall it from Control Panel and then download the latest version from the official website. You can also do the “repair” trick using the same technique described in Method 2.
- Install Windows Updates. Open Settings app and go to the Updates & Security. Click Check for Updates and wait for the search to complete.
- Run System File Checker to see if the system does not contain corrupted/outdated/damaged files. To do this, use windows search to find Command Prompt. Right-click on it and select Run as administrator. Then, type sfc/scannow command. Press Enter to execute it.
IMPORTANT: you may find offers to install the VCRUNTIME140.dll file separately. However, do not fall for downloading it! Hackers often disguise malicious programs under .dll files. Therefore, instead of a needed file, you may execute a malicious one and end up with a virus infection.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: