Issue: How to fix Windows update error 0x80240016?
Hello. I tried updating Windows, but every time I receive an error with a code 0x80240016. I have tried restarting my PC and trying again, but that did not work. Do you know what could fix this problem?
Although Windows is one of the most popular operating systems around the world, it does not come without any issues. Windows needs to be constantly updated, to receive the necessary security patches and other fixes. If that fails, users might experience performance issues like lags and crashes. Sometimes the cause of system issues is the updates themselves.
Some of them can corrupt system files, that later need to be fixed manually. Microsoft has created built-in automatic troubleshooters that that can fix many errors themselves, but that is not the case with the 0x80240016 update error. Users encounter the 0x80240016 error when they need to install a critical, cumulative, or feature update on their Windows 10 computer. This issue is reported to occur with a variety of different KB updates. Some of the examples could be KB5005565, KB3198586, and KB4056892.
The thing is, a lot of different things could be blocking an update from a successful installation, and the troubleshooting can be frustrating. One of the most common causes is corrupted system files, as we mentioned above, a glitch, or an overprotective firewall. No matter what it is, we will guide you through this process step-by-step.
Most often, error 0x80240016 indicates that Windows is missing some files required by Windows Update to perform the update. When an error code such as this appears, Windows cannot finish updating the operating system. Other common reasons may include incorrect user input and accidentally deleted files from the registry that now cause system malfunctions.
Troubleshooting manually could take a while because it is unclear what is causing the issue, so you can try using an automatic solution ReimageMac Washing Machine X9 to avoid going through all of the possibilities. The repair tool can identify the damaged system components, fix BSODs, and registry issues by scanning the system. This software could also be used to free up space by clearing cookies and cache, which should boost the device's performance.
Below you will find a few manual methods that could fix the Windows update error 0x80240016 and let you update your system. Note that this will take a while, so please follow all of the steps very carefully:
Method 1. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
One of the first things you should do is use the built-in Windows Update Troubleshooter to see if it can take care of the problem for you:
- Select Start and go to Settings
- Choose Update & Security
- Click Troubleshoot and Additional troubleshooter
- Select Windows Update and Run the troubleshooter
Method 2. Repair Corrupted System Files and Check Disk
Use Command Prompt commands to repair system file corruption:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- Reboot your system
- If SFC returned an error, then use the following command lines, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Ensure that your disk is not damaged. You can perform checks using Administrative Command Prompt:
- If you are using an HDD as your main driver (where your operating system is installed – C: by default), use the following command and press Enter:
chkdsk c: /f
- If you are using SSD, use this command:
chkdsk c: /f /r /x
- If you receive an error, type in Y and hit Enter
- Restart your device to perform the check
Method 3. Reset every Windows Update Component
- Open Command Prompt as administrator again
- Copy and paste the following commands, pressing Enter after each:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\Network\\Downloader\\*.*”
rmdir %systemroot%\\SoftwareDistribution /S /Q
rmdir %systemroot%\\system32\\catroot2 /S /Q
regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll
regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dll
regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll
netsh winsock reset
netsh winsock reset proxy
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
- Restart your PC.
Method 4. Use System Restore
If this error started to occur after a Windows Update installation, you can revert your system to a healthy point before the botched installation occurred. To do this, you can use the System Restore tool:
- Go to the search field in your taskbar and type system restore, and press on Create a restore point
- You will be taken to the System Properties window and the System Protection tab
- Click on System Restore...
- Restore system files and settings will pop up, click on Next
- Choose a restore point
- Click on Scan for affected programs (this will give you a list of which programs will be deleted and which might be automatically restored)
- Close the windows and then click on Next
- The final confirmation window will show the restore point you chose, click on Finish to begin the process
Method 5. Turn off Windows Defender Firewall
Certain security Windows Updates will fail to install if Windows Firewall is currently performing a background security check. Try temporarily disabling it:
- Press Windows key + R to open up a Run dialog box
- Type windowsdefender in the text box and press Enter to open up the Windows Security menu
- Scroll down and click on the Virus & threat protection tab, then go ahead and click on the Manage settings hyperlink
- Disable the toggle associated with Firewall & Network protection
- Go all the way back to the first Windows Security window, then click on Firewall & Network Protection
- Disable the toggle Windows Defender firewall
- Restart your PC
Method 6. Perform a Repair Install
- Download the Windows 10 ISO file
- Now mount the ISO file
- Double-click on the file setup.exe to start the repair, install from the mounted drive
- When the installation provides the License Terms, read them and click Accept
- Windows 10 will now check for updates and will install the ones available
- When all is set, click Install
- When the installation is complete, follow the on-screen instructions
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.