Issue: How to fix Windows update error 0xc190012e?
Hi, I can't install the latest Windows 10 update to upgrade to the 20H2 version. Instead, I receive an error code 0xc190012e every time I try via the settings menu. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
0xc190012e is yet another error that can occur while trying to install the latest Windows updates. Alternatively, the error code might also represent a failure to upgrade from older Windows versions, for example, Windows 7, to the newest one. Unfortunately, this means that users who experience these problems might run into some bugs, or lack the most relevant software vulnerability patches.
Users who encountered the error claimed that it occurs at some point during the installation process – the bar can go up to a maximum of 100% and still fail with error 0xc190012e. It is worth noting that update errors are extremely common and are encountered by hundreds every day; other examples include 0x8007007e, 0x80070003, or 0x80070490.
Just as many other errors, this one is delivered by a standard message in Windows:
There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later.
As evident, such an explanation does not really explain anything, neither does it provide any tips on how to fix 0xc190012e error. Those who dealt with the problem said that, even after they waited awhile, the update would still not install and resulted in the same error code.
The most common reason for Windows update errors include:
- Windows system file corruption
- Disabled services that are responsible for Windows updates
- Overly aggressive third-party anti-virus software
- Unstable internet connection, etc.
Thus, if you want to fix error 0xc190012e, you will have to perform quite a bit of troubleshooting – keep in mind that you are likely to try several methods before one works for you. Since this process might be lengthy, we highly advise you first try running a scan with an automatic Windows repair tool ReimageMac Washing Machine X9 – it could solve your Windows problems automatically in most cases.
Fix 1. Use Windows Update troubleshooter
If you ever experience issues with Windows updates, the first thing you should try is the built-in troubleshooting service. It might not always solve your problem, but it might point you in the right direction:
- Type in troubleshoot in Windows search and press Enter
- You should see all the available troubleshooters listed on the right
- If they are not visible, you should go to Additional troubleshooters
- Locate Windows update on the list – click it once
- Finally, select Run the troubleshooter and wait till the process is finished.
Fix 2. Uninstall third-party antivirus
A third-party antivirus is known to be one of the reasons for a failed Windows update. Therefore, you should either temporarily disable it or uninstall it and then try downloading the update once again. Keep in mind that it is not safe to let your PC run without protection (you might infect it with malware),, so install another security program or employ the built-in Windows Defender for the purpose.
Fix 3. Perform a clean boot
- Type in msconfig in Windows search and press Enter
- Once System Configuration window opens, go to the Services tab
- Mark Hide all Microsoft services checkbox and select Disable all
- Next, go to Startup tab and click Open Task Manager
- Here, you will see a list of startup items – disable them all by right-clicking and pressing Disable
- Close the Task Manager and go to Boot tab in the System Configuration window
- Mark the Safe boot checkbox and click Apply, then OK
- After a restart, try downloading the update as usual.
Fix 4. Fix corrupted system files
In case some of your Windows system files are corrupted, the OS will not be able to perform the standard update process correctly.
- Type in cmd in Windows search
- Right-click on the Command Prompt search result and pick Run as administrator
- In the new window, type in the following command and press Enter:
- Wait till scan is complete and reboot your PC.
In case the SFC scan was unable to repair corrupted system files, you can run the following commands to repair Windows image (don't forget to press Enter each time):
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Fix 5. Reset Windows update components
Windows runs dozens of services that keep the operating system running as intended. BITS, for example, is responsible for downloading data in the background, so if this service is not running, the update will fail. Thus, resetting BITS and other relevant services might help you fix the problem:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator as explained in the step above
- Copy and paste the following commands, pressing Enter after each:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
ren C:\\Windows\\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\\Windows\\System32\\catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- Restart your computer.
Fix 6. Download the update manually
In case you are unable to update Windows automatically via the settings menu, you can always try to update Windows manually. Here's how:
- Type in Update in Windows search and press Enter
- Click View Update History on the right side of the window
- In here, you will see the list of installed and failed updates – note down the KB number that failed with the error 0xc190012e
- Go to Microsoft Update Catalog
- Type in the KB number from before into the search box and press Search
- Select the 64-bit or 32-bit version of the update (according to your OS version) and download the update
- Once downloaded, double-click the installer and proceed with on-screen instructions
- Restart your PC once done.
Fix 7. Use Windows Media Creation tool to upgrade
- Download Windows 10 installation media from the official Microsoft website
- Double-click the installer
- Agree to Terms and pick Next
- Select Upgrade this PC now and then click Next
- Windows should then download and install the relevant updates
- Once complete, you PC will reboot and the newest version should be installed.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.