Issue: How to Fix Windows 10 Update Error Code 0x800f0831?
I can’t install the latest updates for Windows 10. The installation is terminated by an error code 0x800f0831. I tried sfc and DISM, but in vain. What else should I do?
Error Code 0x800f0831 is a bug check that people can encounter while using Windows Update service. Indeed, it’s not pleasant to see this sequence of digits and letters as it means nothing promising, except the fact that none of the Windows updates you attempted installing will be successfully installed.
There are hundreds of Windows Update errors, but most of them can be easily resolved. Usually, they are triggered by Windows Store cache, inaccessible Windows Update service, antivirus software or some damaged update files. In most of the cases, Microsoft reacts to people’s reports related to Windows Update service crashes immediately and either fix the issue automatically or provide manual guidelines explaining how to deal with them.
However, there are no official patches for 0x800f0831 error, so we will try to help you. Having the latest updates installed is very important to maintain a system’s performance and security. If each attempt to install Windows updates leads to the error mentioned above, try to perform the following steps first:
- Reboot your PC in a normal mode;
- Reboot the system in Safe Mode;
- Try a Clean Boot;
- Run Windows Update Troubleshooter;
- Disable your anti-virus temporarily;
- Run sfc / scannow and DISM via Command Prompt;
- Install Reimage and run a full scan with it.
If none of these methods helped, please refer to the following fixes.
How to Fix Windows 10 Update Error Code 0x800f0831?
Method 1. Reset Windows Update Components
- Right-click Win key and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- If a UAC shows up, click OK to proceed.
- Find and click on the registry key or subkey that you want to backup and select File -> Export.
- In the Export Registry File dialog box, choose the location where you want to store the backup copy.
- Type the name for the backup in the File name and select Save. (the steps 1 to 5 are recommended. This way you will create the registry backups, which may help in case of a failure or damage of the wrong entries).
- Then stop stop BITS, Windows Update, Cryptographic, and MSI Installer services. For that, type the following commands and press Enter after each:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
- Once done, paste the Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\Network\\Downloader\\qmgr*.dat” command to delete qmgr*.dat files.
- Then copy and paste cd /d %windir%\\system32 command and press Enter.
- To re-register BITS and Windows Update files, type all the commands listed below and press Enter after each:
- To reset Winsock, type netsh winsock reset and netsh winhttp reset proxy commands. Press Enter after each of them as usually.
- Finally, restart BITS, Windows Update, Cryptographic, MSI Installer services by entering the following commands each followed by Eter:
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
Method 2. Disable Proxy
- Click Win key + R, type inetcpl.cpl, and press Enter.
- Select Connections and then open LAN Settings.
- Find Automatically detect settings box and mark it with a tick.
- Finally, unmark the Proxy server box.
These are the two methods that helped for most of the Windows users who have been struggling with the installation of Windows updates. If they did not work in your case, we would also recommend checking if Date & Time settings are correct. Sometimes, incorrectly set Date and time may collide with Windows Update and Windows Store services, which is why the updates fail to download/install. If you did not fix the error 0x800f0831, please let us know so we could further analyze the issue and provide more fixes.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.