Issue: How to fix Windows 10 update error code 0x800f0831?
Hello. For a past few months, Windows 10 tries to install the latest updates but always fails with error code 0x800f0831. I am running 1903 currently. Is there anything that can be done to solve this? It is really frustrating, please help.
Error code 0x800f0831 is an error people can encounter while using the Windows Update service. Indeed, it’s not pleasant to see this, as it means that none of the cumulative, security or other updates can be installed successfully. Most recently, users encountered this error when trying to download the KB5012599 update for Windows 10/11.
Apart from 0x800f0831, there are hundreds of Windows Update errors (e.g., 0x80070103, 0x80073712, or 0x80070541), but most of them can be easily resolved. Usually, they are triggered by Windows Store cache, inaccessible Windows Update service, antivirus software, or some damaged update files.
In most cases, Microsoft reacts to people’s reports related to Windows Update service crashes immediately and either fixes the issue automatically or provides manual guidelines explaining how to deal with them.
However, there are no official patches to fix the 0x800f0831 error, so we will try to help you. Having the latest updates installed is very important to maintain a system’s performance and security. If each attempt to install Windows updates leads to the error mentioned above, try to perform the following steps first:
- Reboot your PC to a normal mode;
- Disable your anti-virus temporarily;
- Check your internet connection (perform a speed test)
- Check your time and date settings.
- Install FortectMac Washing Machine X9 and run a full scan with it to resolve underlying Windows issues that could cause the error.
If none of these methods helped, please refer to the following fixes.
Method 1. Download the missing KB package
In most cases, the main reason for the 0x800f0831 error to occur is due to the missing KB package, which does not allow a newer update to be installed. Therefore, you should check which package you are missing and download it manually via Microsoft Update Catalog:
- Press Win + E to open File Explorer.
- Navigate to the following location: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS.
- In here, open CBS.log file by double-clicking it.
- Here, look for lines that include the 0x800f0831 error, or includes the following information (use Ctrl + F to look for specific keywords):
Store corruption, manifest missing for package: [Missing_Package]
- Write down the KB number next to one of these lines.
- Now visit Microsoft Update Catalog website download and install the missing package.
- Reboot your PC and then try running Windows updates as per usual.
Method 2. Run Windows Update troubleshooter
Whenever you encounter problems with Windows updates, you should first try running Windows update troubleshooter, available via settings panel:
- Right-click on Start and pick Settings.
- In the new window, select Update & security section.
- On the left, pick Troubleshoot and then pick Additional Troubleshooters on the right.
- Find Windows Update, click it, and select Run the troubleshooter.
Method 3. Perform SFC and DISM scans
In case Windows system files are corrupt, you can run commands via Command Prompt to fix them, consequently allowing you to perform an easy 0x800f0831 fix.
- Type in cmd in Windows search
- Right-click on Command Prompt search result and pick Run as administrator
- Copy and paste the following command:
- Press Enter and wait for the process to be finished
- Once done, run the following commands, pressing Enter after each of them:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Once complete, reboot Windows.
Method 4. Reset Windows Update Components
- Open Command Prompt as administrator as explained above.
- Then stop stop BITS, Windows Update, Cryptographic, and MSI Installer services. For that, type the following commands and press Enter after each:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
- Once done, paste the Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat” command to delete qmgr*.dat files.
- Then copy and paste cd /d %windir%\system32 command and press Enter.
- To re-register BITS and Windows Update files, type all the commands listed below and press Enter after each:
- To reset Winsock, type netsh winsock reset and netsh winhttp reset proxy commands. Press Enter after each of them as usually.
- Finally, restart BITS, Windows Update, Cryptographic, MSI Installer services by entering the following commands each followed by Enter:
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
Method 5. Disable Proxy
- Click Win key + R, type inetcpl.cpl, and press Enter.
- Select Connections and then open LAN Settings.
- Find Automatically detect settings box and mark it with a tick.
- Finally, unmark the Proxy server box.
These are the methods that helped for most of the Windows users who have been struggling with the installation of Windows updates. If they did not work in your case, we would also recommend checking if the Date & Time settings are correct. Sometimes, incorrectly set Date and time may collide with Windows Update and Windows Store services, which is why the updates fail to download/install.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.