Issue: How to fix Windows 10 Error Code 0x80070103?
I am currently encountering this issue where I can’t update drivers on Windows 10. Whenever I visit Microsoft Update Web and try installing something, I get a notification about an Error Code 0x80070103. What does this error mean and can it be fixed?
In order for your software or hardware to work properly, you constantly need to update it, because updates are crucial for eliminating various shortcomings and weaknesses which may result in malfunctions or performance failures. While some drivers upgrade automatically, others may need manual assistance. Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web are the official websites where you can download or update your drivers to the most recent ones. It is generally a very useful and convenient service because it stores numerous hardware updates in a single place. Nevertheless, sometimes installing such software might get a bit problematic. Users report that after the download, the driver updates do not install and instead, they receive the Error Code 0x80070103 message. What is the cause of this error?
Microsoft has already acknowledged this issue and have issued a support page in which they explain that the error may be due to a couple of reasons. First, Windows Update or Microsoft Update may be failing to install a driver which has already been installed for another piece of hardware. Usually, this new hardware is identical to the previously installed one, so the later addition is simply not recognized. Another reason is that either of the Windows updaters are trying to update a current driver with some incompatible new version. This clash of unsuitable drivers blocks the new driver from installing, and may not allow the old one to run properly either. Obviously, this issue has to be fixed. Below, you will find recommendations how to do it. You may also try the automatic fix option and scan your computer with Reimage.
How to fix update Error Code 0x80070103 on Windows 10?
The most obvious solution to this problem is to search for the available drivers on the original hardware manufacturers’ websites. Nevertheless, Windows Update or Microsoft Update might be persistent and offer to renew a particular driver despite the fact that it has already been updated via other sources. Thus, you may want to remove these notifications. To do that follow these steps:
- Go to http://update.microsoft.com and run a scan for updates
- When on the Welcome page, choose Custom
- In the new window, chose Hardware -> Optional
- Next to the desired software, mark the checkbox that says Don’t show this update again.
- Click Review and check whether there are no unwanted updates
- Click Install Updates
- Then, go to the Windows Start menu -> All Programs -> Windows Update.
- In the new window, select Check for updates.
- When the scan is complete, you should see the Optional updates are available link. Click this link.
- The link will open a new window, where you have to choose Select the updates you want to install option. This will open a list of updates which you will be able to disable by right-clicking them and selecting Hide.
- Then, click OK and proceed with the rest of the update installation by clicking Install Updates.
If Windows Update or Microsoft Update keeps overwriting your preferred drivers and you are constantly getting the Error Code 0x80070103, you can delete them completely and install some new ones instead. You can achieve that by following these steps:
- Right-click Windows Start icon
- Locate the Device Manager and launch it
- In the new window, choose the desired device, right-click it and choose Uninstall
- Under the Delete the driver software for this device option click OK
- Reinstall new drivers.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services like Netflix, BBC, Disney+ and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless where you are
Recover your lost files quickly
Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is a recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of important documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.