Issue: How to fix Windows 10 Update error code: 0x80073712?
Hello. I’m struggling with the Windows update error code 0x80073712 fixes in Windows 10 for a couple of days. I’ve found some fixes related to this bug on Google, but, apparently, they apply to Windows XP and 7, which is not suitable in my case. Could someone please provide me with at least some ideas on how this update error could be resolved? Many thanks!
Microsoft releases Windows updates on a regular basis. That’s a crucial procedure, which enables Microsoft engineers to maintain Windows OS, fix old and ‘fresh’ errors, BSOD, repair security loopholes if there are any, root new system functions step-by-step, and so on. Therefore, each Windows OS update should be installed.
Unfortunately, but Windows 10 Updates often cause serious install issues, for example, Windows Update service does not find updates even though the user knows for sure that one has been released, the installation of an update freezes or is rolled back automatically.
One of the current Windows 10 Update errors is 0x80073712, which can also be accompanied with bug check code ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT. Initially, this bug check has affected Windows 10 OS when trying to install cumulative update KB3194798 in particular, which has been released on October 11, 2016.
Nevertheless, it shows a tendency to prevent installation of Windows apps and other updates.
The component store has been corrupted.
However, it is also important to note that the error 0x80073712 error remained, and some users receive it when trying to simply update Windows, regardless of which KB number is trying to be installed.
Unfortunately, there are no official fixes provided on the Internet, but we believe that Microsoft engineers are already aware of it and work with its solution. Until 0x80073712 error fixes or a patch will be released, you may try the methods that we’ve come up with. When the particular issue gets fixed the best solution is to Update the OS with a bug-free version.
Windows 10 Update Error Code: 0x80073712.
How to Fix Windows 10 Update Error Code: 0x80073712 “ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT”?
It is assumed that ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT bug may be triggered by some internal system malfunctions, such as damaged registry keys or corrupted system files. Therefore, we would highly recommend you to perform a full system scan with FortectMac Washing Machine X9 or another PC optimization tool. NOTE that Reimage has an in-built antivirus system, so it will remove malware.
1. Run DISM tool
- Click Win key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Type the following command and press Enter after each of them:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Once done, reboot the system.
2. Use Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Right-click on Start and select Settings.
- Find Troubleshoot function.
- Then select Windows Update under Troubleshoot section.
Fox Windows update error by troubleshooting the update itself.
- Run the troubleshooter.
3. Run System File Checker scan for Error Code 0x80073712 fixing
System File Checker can find and repair Windows system file integrity violations.
- Run the Command Prompt window as administrator.
- Enter the sfc/scannow command and press Enter.
- Wait till the scan is finished and results are reported.
- Reboot your PC.
4. Restart Windows Update services
- Click Win key + R, type services.msc, and click Enter.
Run command and check if it fixesWindows 10 Update Error Code: 0x80073712.
- Locate Windows Update service.
- If the status of Windows Update is not indicated (the column is blank), right-click on it, and select Start.
- It might be that force start of Windows Update ends up with an error.
- In this case, find the option Startup Type, and set it to Automatic.
- Finally, restart the system and try to run the update.
5. Restart relevant services and rename SoftwareDistribution/Carroot2 folders
You can perform these actions by using commands in Command Prompt:
- Open elevated Command Prompt as explained above
- Copy and paste the following commands, pressing Enter after each:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
ren C:\\Windows\\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\\Windows\\System32\\catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- Reboot your computer.
6. Use Media Creation Tool
One of the best ways to upgrade Windows to the latest version without suffering from any errors is by doing that with Media Creation Tool.
- Visit the official Microsoft website to download Windows 10 installation media.
- Double-click the installer that should show up at the -bottom left of your web browser.
- Agree to Terms and click Next.
- Select Upgrade this PC now and click Next
- Wait till all the necessary files are downloaded and upgrade process finishes
- Restart your device.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Access geo-restricted video content with a VPN
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
Don’t pay ransomware authors – use alternative data recovery options
Malware attacks, particularly ransomware, are by far the biggest danger to your pictures, videos, work, or school files. Since cybercriminals use a robust encryption algorithm to lock data, it can no longer be used until a ransom in bitcoin is paid. Instead of paying hackers, you should first try to use alternative recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data. Otherwise, you could also lose your money, along with the files. One of the best tools that could restore at least some of the encrypted files – Data Recovery Pro.