Issue: [Fix] Last session Notepad text files start automatically in Windows
Hello. When I launch Notepad on Windows, multiple tabs open automatically with previous sessions. I don't want this. Is there any way to disable this?
The addition of additional Notepad tabs in Windows 11 22H2 was a welcome change that gave users better functionality and organization. However, this new feature came with a bothersome problem that can interfere with users' daily activities. No matter how the application is used, the issue at hand is the automatic reopening of text files from prior sessions whenever the Notepad application is launched or previously saved files are opened.
The main cause of this problem is a Notepad default feature called “Open content from the previous session.” It is a feature that was added to the program after the tabbing feature was implemented. When this feature is on, users could see a rather perplexing situation wherein several older text files repeatedly appear in different tabs whenever they open Notepad.
The effect of this problem on users is notable. When someone is unfamiliar with this behavior, it might cause confusion and annoyance. For example, users who depend on Notepad for quick note-taking or editing may discover that they need to close many tabs, which can be time-consuming and ineffective. Additionally, if several files containing sensitive content are unexpectedly reopened, it may be a privacy issue for people handling confidential or sensitive information.
There are methods to lessen the effects of this problem in terms of solutions. In order to prevent several tabs from automatically appearing again upon the next launch of Notepad, users can explicitly save and close their text files before quitting the program. A different strategy is to modify the application's settings to remove the checkbox next to “Open content from the previous session.”
In this guide, you will find a workaround for this issue. We hope that Microsoft will address this bug in the coming updates. If you have any other OS issues, you can use a maintenance tool like FortectMac Washing Machine X9 that can fix most system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, and registry issues. Otherwise, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Solution 1. Change the Default Setting in the App
The tabbed Notepad has two settings to consider: “Open content from the previous session” and “Open a new window”. Switching to the second option, “Open a new window,” will result in the disappearance of all previously saved text files. Recovering both saved and unsaved Notepad files can be a challenging task following this change.
To prevent potential file loss, it's advisable to manually save all your text files to a location of your choice, such as the desktop or a document folder, before making the switch to “Open a new window” in Notepad's startup settings.
- Open Notepad.
- Click on Settings located in the top right corner of the file.
- In the Settings menu, scroll to the bottom.
- Click on When Notepad starts.
- Check the option Open a new window.
- At this point, you may notice that your previously saved files are missing.
- Go back to Notepad Settings.
- Select the previous option Open content from the previous session under When Notepad starts.
- Close the Notepad application.
- Reopen Notepad.
- You will see that all your previous tabs have been restored.
- Go to a specific tab.
- Click on File.
- Select Save as.
- Name the file and save it to your preferred location, such as the desktop or a document folder.
- Save the content of each tab sequentially.
- After saving your content, follow these steps to ensure your files are not lost in the future:
- Navigate to Notepad Settings by clicking on its icon.
- In the When Notepad starts section, check Open a new window.
- Your files will remain safe, and you won't encounter any missing files. This method serves as a workaround to recover your files, while we wait for Microsoft to address this bug. It will also ensure that Notepad's last session text files start automatically in Windows.
Solution 2. Install Windows Updates
Maybe at the time you are reading this, Microsoft has released an update to change the default Notepad setting. Try updating your operating system:
- Click Start and select Settings.
- Go to the Windows Update section.
- Click Check for updates and wait.
- Go to the Advanced options and install optional updates.
- Reboot your system.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.