Issue: How to fix Comdlg32.dll missing or not found error in Windows?
Hello. When I try to open certain apps on Windows I get the “Comdlg32.dll is missing” error. How do I fix this?
Common Dialog Box Library, sometimes known as Comdlg32.dll, is a vital dynamic-link library (DLL) file in the Windows operating system. It is crucial for supplying key features for typical dialog boxes, such as the open file, save file, print, font, and color selection dialogs. Different applications make use of these dialog boxes to make it easier for users to deal with files, data, and settings.
Many Windows applications require the Comdlg32.dll file for error-free operation. Users can access and manage data, set up settings, and carry out other crucial operations using it as a link between software programs and the Windows user interface. Applications might not be able to show these typical dialog boxes, which are essential for user interaction, without this DLL.
It usually means that the Comdlg32.dll file has been corrupted, relocated, or deleted from its correct location when users see a “Comdlg32.dll missing” or “not found” error in Windows. Users' systems may suffer a number of negative effects as a result of this issue.
First and foremost, users may find it impossible to use specific applications that rely on the Comdlg32.dll file. For instance, a program won't function properly if a file dialog is required to open or save a document. Particularly if the impacted program is crucial for work or personal tasks, this can be quite annoying and disruptive.
To resolve the “Comdlg32.dll missing or not found” error, users have several potential solutions at their disposal. These remedies often entail replacing or fixing the corrupted or missing Comdlg32.dll file. To repair Windows system files, including Comdlg32.dll, one typical method is to run System File Checker (sfc /scannow). Users may also think about reinstalling the problematic application or restoring the file from a backup. In some circumstances, obtaining the DLL and registering it from a reliable source can also be a fix.
In this guide, you will find 6 steps that should help you fix Comdlg32.dll missing or not found error in Windows. You can also run a system repair tool like FortectMac Washing Machine X9 that can fix most system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, and registry issues. Otherwise, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Solution 1. Fix Corrupted System Files
Use Command Prompt commands to repair system file corruption:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- Reboot your system
- If SFC returned an error, then use the following command lines, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Solution 2. Install Windows Updates
- Click Start and select Settings.
- Go to the Windows Update section.
- Click Check for updates and wait.
- Go to the Advanced options and install optional updates.
- Reboot your system.
Solution 3. Run a Malware Scan
It is possible that a malware infection may be the cause of Comdlg32.dll missing or not found error in Windows. It is important to run a comprehensive security scan to rule out this possibility and ensure that the computer is not infected. This can help to prevent further issues with the Windows operating system and ensure that it is functioning properly.
If you have access to a security scanner, or if your organization pays for one, you can use it to scan your entire system to check for a virus infection. Otherwise, you can use Windows Defender to scan your system:
- Click on the Windows Start menu or press the Windows key on your keyboard.
- Type Microsoft Defender in the search bar and click on Microsoft Defender Antivirus to open the application.
- Click on the Virus & threat protection option in the left-hand menu.
- Click on the Quick scan or Full scan option, depending on your preference.
- If you choose Quick scan, Microsoft Defender Antivirus will scan the most vulnerable and commonly infected areas of your computer.
- If you choose Full scan, Microsoft Defender Antivirus will scan your entire computer, including all files, folders, and programs.
- Click on the Scan now button to start the selected scan type and wait for the scan to complete.
- The time it takes will depend on the size of your hard drive and the number of files being scanned.
- Once the scan is complete, you will be informed of any detected threats, and you can choose to quarantine or remove them.
- If no threats are found, Microsoft Defender Antivirus will inform you that your device is secure.
Solution 4. Update Drivers
Outdated drivers could be the cause of this issue. In this case, you can fix it automatically by using DriverFix, which will scan your PC for missing and out-of-date device drivers. Or you can update them manually:
- Open Settings.
- Click on Update & Security.
- Click on Windows Update.
- Click the Check for updates button.
- Click the View optional updates option.
- Click the Driver updates tab.
- Select the driver you want to update.
- Click the Download and install button.
If the View optional updates link is not available after checking for updates, then Windows Update does not have any new drivers or any updates for other products at that particular time.
Solution 5. Use System Restore
System Restore is a feature in Microsoft Windows that allows users to revert their computer's state to a previous point in time. This can be helpful if you have made changes to your system that are causing problems.
- Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run box.
- Type SystemPropertiesProtection and press Enter.
- Go to the System Protection tab.
- You will see the System Restore… button. Click it to run System Restore.
- Follow the prompts until you can select a restore point.
- Select the one you want (ideally before the issue started occurring) and go ahead with the process.
Solution 6. Repair Install Windows
- Visit Microsoft's official website.
- Choose the desired product language and OS edition for Windows 11.
- Download the Windows 11 ISO file.
- Locate the downloaded ISO file and double-click it.
- In the prompt that appears, click Open.
- Run the setup.exe file.
- When the UAC (User Account Control) dialog box appears, click Yes to continue.
- Click Next to proceed with the installation.
- Accept Microsoft's license terms by clicking Accept.
- Make sure the setup option reads Keep personal files and apps.
- Click Install to begin the Windows 11 repair upgrade.
- Wait patiently for the repair upgrade to complete.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Access geo-restricted video content with a VPN
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
Don’t pay ransomware authors – use alternative data recovery options
Malware attacks, particularly ransomware, are by far the biggest danger to your pictures, videos, work, or school files. Since cybercriminals use a robust encryption algorithm to lock data, it can no longer be used until a ransom in bitcoin is paid. Instead of paying hackers, you should first try to use alternative recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data. Otherwise, you could also lose your money, along with the files. One of the best tools that could restore at least some of the encrypted files – Data Recovery Pro.