Issue: How to fix File System error (-2018374631) in Windows?
How do I fix the File System error (-2018374631) on Windows? I can't open any photos because of it.
Windows is a highly popular operating system, and many people choose it for its broad application, especially when it comes to the corporate environment. It is highly configurable and allows power users to customize it as they please. However, there are some issues that come with it, mainly, errors or even system crashes.
File System errors are among the most common reasons why users are unable to access certain files or applications. These errors can result from various factors, such as improper shutdowns, hardware failures, corrupted data, or software conflicts.
One example we're talking about today is File System error (-2018374631), which can occur whenever users attempt to open files (usually image files). This is usually related to the apps used to open them, such as Photos or Paint. In some cases, the issue can be more broad and people can encounter Windows instability or even folder corruption.
In order to fix the File System error (-2018374631), you can employ several solutions we provide below. Running Windows Store apps troubleshooter, repairing the associated app, updating Windows, and several other solutions helped users to address this issue. All the instructions on how to perform these and other fixes can be found below.
If you would like to try resolving the (-2018374631) error automatically, we highly recommend trying to run a scan with FortectMac Washing Machine X9 repair software, which is designed to find and repair damaged Windows files.
Fix 1. Update Windows
Updating Windows ensures that your system is up-to-date with the latest features and bug fixes, which can resolve the File System error (-2018374631).
- Type Updates in Windows search and press Enter.
- Here, click Check for updates.
- Wait till Windows downloads and installs all the files.
- If optional updates are available, install them as well.
- Reboot your device.
Fix 2. Employ Windows Store apps troubleshooter
The Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter can automatically detect and fix issues with apps that may be causing the File System error.
- Type troubleshoot into the Windows search bar, then press Enter.
- In the options that appear, select Additional troubleshooters or Other troubleshooters (depending on your Windows version).
- Scroll through the list until you locate Windows Store Apps, then click on Run the troubleshooter/Run.
- Wait as the process runs to completion, then apply any recommended changes to resolve the issue.
Fix 3. Reset/repair the associated app
Resetting the app you're using to open the file can resolve any errors or corruption within the app itself.
- Right-click on Start and pick Apps and Features.
- You will see the list of the installed applications.
- Scroll down to find an app in question, for example, Microsoft Photos.
- Select and click Advanced options.
- Here, scroll down and click Terminate.
- Then, click Repair.
- If that doesn't work, select the Reset option instead.
Fix 4. Run SFC and DISM scans
To fix corrupted files and repair Windows images, you can run several commands in the elevated Command Prompt
- Type in cmd in Windows search.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- When User Account Control shows up, click Yes.
- In the Command Prompt window, paste the following command and hit Enter:
- Next, use the following commands, pressing Enter each time:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
(Note: if you get an error executing this last command, add /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess to it and try again).
- Reboot your computer.
Fix 5. Perform Clean Boot
- Press Win + R, type msconfig, then press Enter.
- Select the Services tab and tick the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox.
- Pick Disable all.
- Go to the Startup tab and click Open Task Manager.
- Here, right-click on each of the non-Windows entries and select Disable.
- Close down the Task Manager.
- Go to the Boot tab and tick the Safe boot option.
- Once the computer is restarted, try the action that was causing the error.
- If resolved, you can start enabling services and startup items one by one (or in groups) to identify the culprit.
Fix 6. Reinstall the associated app
Reinstalling the app ensures you have a fresh, uncorrupted version of it.
- Open Settings and go to Apps > Apps & features.
- Find the app, click on it, and select Uninstall.
- Restart your computer.
- Reinstall the app from the Microsoft Store or the official website.
Fix 7. Use Media Creation Tool to repair Windows
Using the Media Creation Tool to repair Windows can fix underlying system issues without affecting your personal files.
- Visit the official Microsoft website and download Windows 10 installation media (Windows 11 version).
- Double-click the installer, select Yes when UAC shows up, and agree to terms.
- Select Upgrade this PC now and click Next.
- Windows will start downloading the needed files.
- Agree to the terms once again and click Next.
- Before installing, make sure that you are happy with your choices (otherwise, you can click Change what to keep option).
- Finally, click Install to begin the upgrade process.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.