Issue: How to fix Windows update error 0x80070050?
Hello. When I try to install the latest Windows updates, I receive the 0x80070050 error code. How can I fix this?
Windows updates are critical for maintaining the operating system's security, stability, and performance. They deliver critical patches, bug fixes, and feature enhancements to address vulnerabilities, improve functionality, and ensure compatibility with new hardware and software. Installing Windows updates on a regular basis helps protect your system from security threats such as malware, viruses, and other malicious activities that can exploit vulnerabilities in the operating system or installed software.
The Windows Update error code 0x80070050 can have a number of consequences for users. For starters, it prevents the installation of critical security updates, leaving the system vulnerable to potential security threats. Malicious actors frequently target known vulnerabilities, and users who do not have the most recent updates may be more vulnerable to attacks.
Furthermore, this error can have an impact on the overall stability and performance of the system. Some updates fix software bugs and issues that can lead to crashes, system errors, or compatibility issues with specific applications or hardware. Users may encounter a less reliable and optimized system if these updates are not applied.
Windows Update errors can be aggravating for users because they disrupt the smooth operation of their computer systems. It can cause a disruption in productivity because users may be unable to access new features, improvements, or bug fixes provided by updates. Furthermore, some software applications and drivers may require specific Windows updates to function properly, and the inability to install updates can result in compatibility issues and limited software functionality.
In this guide, you will find 9 steps that should help you fix Windows update error 0x80070050. You can also try a system repair tool like FortectMac Washing Machine X9 that can fix most system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, registry issues, or clear cookies and cache. Otherwise, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Method 1. Run the Update Troubleshooter
- Press the Windows key + X and go to Settings.
- Go to Update and Security.
- Click Troubleshooter.
- Select Additional troubleshooters.
- Run the Update troubleshooter.
- Restart the computer.
Method 2. Fix Corrupted System Files
Use Command Prompt commands to repair system file corruption:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- Reboot your system
- If SFC returned an error, then use the following command lines, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Method 3. Check Disk
Ensure that your disk is not damaged. You can perform checks using Administrative Command Prompt:
- If you are using an HDD as your main driver (where your operating system is installed – C: by default), use the following command and press Enter:
chkdsk c: /f
- If you are using SSD, use this command:
chkdsk c: /f /r /x
- If you receive an error, type in Y and hit Enter.
- Restart your device to perform the check.
Method 4. Install Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack
The service pack update, in general, is a collection of bug fixes, enhancements, and improvements that are released after the initial release of a software product. Service packs address known issues, enhance functionality, and improve the overall stability and performance of the software.
- Go to this Microsoft Update Catalog page.
- Download the Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 Update for Windows Vista.
Method 5. Update Drivers
Outdated drivers could be the cause of this issue. In this case, you can fix it automatically by using DriverFix, which will scan your PC for missing and out-of-date device drivers. Or you can update them manually:
- Open Settings
- Click on Update & Security
- Click on Windows Update
- Click the Check for updates button
- Click the View optional updates option
- Click the Driver updates tab
- Select the driver you want to update
- Click the Download and install button
If the View optional updates link is not available after checking for updates, then Windows Update does not have any new drivers or any updates for other products at that particular time.
Method 6. Restart Windows Services
- Press Windows + R to open the Run box.
- Type in services.msc and press OK.
- Double-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
- If the Startup status lists Stopped, click Start and then click OK.
- If the status is Running, right-click then select Restart.
- Locate the Windows Update service and double-click it.
- If the Startup status lists Stopped, click Start and OK. If the status is Running, right-click, then select Restart.
Method 7. Install the Update Manually
Whenever Windows updates fail to install automatically, you can always try doing it manually. First, you need to find out which KB number is relevant to you.
- Right-click Start button and pick Settings.
- Go to Update & Security.
- On the right, locate and click View update history.
- From the list, note the KB number that fails to install with the error code.
- Go to Microsoft Update Catalog page, type in the KB number, and press Search.
- Download the update and install it manually.
Method 8. Reset Windows Update Components
- Open Command Prompt as administrator again.
- Copy and paste the following commands, pressing Enter after each:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\*.*”
rmdir %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution /S /Q
rmdir %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 /S /Q
regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll
regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dll
regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll
netsh winsock reset
netsh winsock reset proxy
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
- Restart your PC.
Method 9. Upgrade Install Windows
- Download Windows 10 installation media or Windows 11 installation media from the official website.
- Open the tool once it is installed.
- Agree to license terms.
- Choose Upgrade this PC now.
- Wait for the update to be installed.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.