Issue: How to fix Windows update error 0x8007013?
I'm struggling to install the latest Windows update because of the 0x8007013 error. Any tips would be appreciated.
Microsoft regularly releases Windows updates to improve system security, fix bugs, and introduce new features. These updates typically fall into several categories, such as security updates for patching vulnerabilities, feature updates that introduce new functionalities, cumulative updates that include previously released fixes, and driver updates to improve system hardware compatibility and performance.
However, updating Windows isn't always a straightforward process. Sometimes, challenges arise, and one such challenge is the Windows update error 0x8007013, which can be particularly problematic as it stops the update process, preventing you from keeping your system up-to-date and potentially exposing your computer to vulnerabilities.
The occurrence of the 0x8007013 error can be attributed to various reasons. It might be due to corrupted system files, conflicts with other software or drivers, or even insufficient storage space on the device. It's essential to understand the root cause of the error to address it effectively.
When faced with the Windows update error 0x8007013, there are several potential solutions to consider. Firstly, ensure that your PC meets the necessary requirements for the update you're trying to install. Windows also offers an in-built troubleshooter for updates, which can help identify and fix some problems related to Windows Update. If storage seems to be the concern, clearing up some space on the main drive might help. Another effective method is running a system file check, as corrupted system files can sometimes be the main issue.
For a comprehensive solution to the 0x8007013 error, detailed instructions are provided below. Additionally, for those who continue to experience persistent issues or other system challenges, using FortectMac Washing Machine X9 PC repair software is recommended. This software can simplify the process of detecting and fixing common PC problems, ensuring a smoother performance for your device.
Fix 1. Run Windows update troubleshooter
Windows Update Troubleshooter is a built-in tool designed to identify and fix common problems associated with updating your system.
- Type Troubleshoot into the Windows search bar and press Enter.
- Next, on the right side of the window, select Additional troubleshooters/Other troubleshooters.
- Scroll down to locate the Windows update option and click on it.
- Click on Run the troubleshooter/Run and allow the process to complete.
- Once it is finished, implement any recommended fixes and restart your computer.
Fix 2. Perform Disk Cleanup
Over time, your system accumulates temporary files that can occupy significant space and interfere with updates.
- Open the Windows search bar and type Disk Cleanup. Press Enter to open the Disk Cleanup utility.
- In the Disk Cleanup window, click Clean up system files.
- Select the drive again and click OK.
- In the list of files that can be cleaned up, select the largest portions of data, such as Temporary Internet Files, Windows Update, Temporary Files, and others.
- Click OK to begin the cleanup process.
Fix 3. Run SFC and DISM
SFC and DISM can repair corrupted system files – you can run these scans using elevated Command Prompt:
- Type cmd in Windows search.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and pick Run as administrator.
- User Account Control window will show up – click Yes when prompted.
- Then, copy and paste the following command, pressing Enter after:
- Wait till the scan is finished. If Windows finds system file integrity violations, it will attempt to fix them. After this, use the set of the following commands, pressing Enter each time:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- (Note: if you get an error executing this last command, add /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess to it and try again).
- Close down the Command Prompt and restart your PC.
Fix 4. Temporarily disable third-party security software
Sometimes, third-party security software can interfere with Windows updates.
- Locate your antivirus or firewall icon in the system tray.
- Right-click on it and look for an option to disable or turn off.
- Turn it off temporarily and try running the Windows update again.
- Don't forget to turn it back on after updating.
Fix 5. Reset Windows update components
This will restart the services and components associated with Windows Update.
- Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Type the following commands, pressing Enter after each:
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
- ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- net start msiserver
- Restart your computer.
Fix 6. Use Media Creation Tool
This tool allows you to upgrade Windows to the latest version using the installation media downloaded from the official Microsoft website.
- Visit the official Microsoft website and download Windows 10 installation media (Windows 11 version).
- Double-click the installer and select Yes when UAC shows up.
- Agree to terms.
- Select Upgrade this PC now and select Next.
- Windows will now download all the necessary files – it might take a while.
- Agree to the terms once again and click Next.
- Before installing, ensure you are happy with your choices (otherwise, you can click the Change what to keep option).
- Click Install to begin the upgrade process.
Fix 7. Install the update manually
If automatic updates aren't working, you can download and install them manually.
- Type in Updates in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select View update history.
- Find the update that failed with the 0x8007013 error and copy its KB number.
- Open your browser and go to Microsoft Update Catalog.
- Within the search bar, type in the KB number and click Search.
- Find the correct version of the update for your operating system (to check this, right-click on Start and pick System. Under Device specifications and check the System type) and click Download.
- Use on-screen guidelines to finish the installation process and restart your computer.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.