Issue: How to Fix “Unable to install Printer" Error Code 0x00000c1 on Windows 10?
I’ve been trying to install a printer to my Windows 10 OS, on which, by the way, all available updates have been installed about a week ago. The system does not accept the printer and gives me an error code 0x00000c1. What does it mean? I can’t find any useful information on the net, so I would highly appreciate your help!
The error “Unable to install Printer. Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000c1)” typically emerge during the installation of the printer. In some of the cases, it may be thrown when trying to use the printer for printing or scanning (if the printer has an inbuilt scanner). The problem arises after the Windows OS upgrade or reinstall. Although the error 0x00000c1 prevails on Windows 10 OS, it may also spring up on Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or other versions, especially when a PC user rolls back to the older version of operating system from Windows 10. The culprit of this bug may be related to the printer driver or Print Spooler service. Nevertheless, sometimes people are not allowed to install printer due to some damaged system files or registry keys. Thus, we would recommend scanning the operating system with a professional optimization tool initially and only then perform the error 0x00000c1 fixes manually. For this purpose, Reimage would be a great option.
How to Fix Error 0x00000c1 When Installing Printer on Windows 10?
Method 1. Enable Print Spooler service
Windows 10 update might have automatically stopped the Print Spooler service. The disabled Print Spooler service may be the reason why you cannot install or use the printer and receive the “Unable to install Printer. Operation could not be completed” error. To fix that, perform these steps:
- Press Windows key + R, type services.msc, and press Enter.
- Locate Print Spooler on the Name list and double-click it.
- When the Properties window opens, check the status of the Service.
- If it is stopped, click the Start button.
- Make sure that the Startup type is Automatic.
- Click OK to save the changes and close everything.
- For the fix to be executed, reboot the system.
Method 2. Modify the registries and update Printer Driver
Since this method requires the removal of some registry entries, make sure to create registry backups in case you prevent damage in case of a failure. You can find information on how to backup registries here.
- To start with, disable Print Spooler service. The steps are provided on the Method 1, except that you have to Stop the process instead of Start.
- After that, open the C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers directory and delete its content.
- Then open C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers\w32x86 folder and delete files stored in it as well.
- Once done, press Windows key + R, type regedit, and press Enter.
- Use the left pane to find the following registry key:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-x (the number that stands for x varies on each computer) (32-bit system).
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Drivers\Version-x (the number that stands for x varies on each computer) (64-bit system).
- Open this directory to see all printer registry entries. Select the file, right-click it, and select Delete. Repeat these steps with each printer registry entry.
- Then Start Print Spooler service and reboot the system.
- Right-click Windows key and select Device Manager.
- Find Printer Driver, right-click it, and select Update Driver Software.
- Finally, reboot the system.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
This patented repair process uses a database of 25 million components that can replace any damaged or missing file on user's computer.
To repair damaged system, you have to purchase the licensed version of Reimage malware removal tool.