Issue: How to reset the forgotten password on Mac?
Hi! I have found my old MacBook, but unfortunately, I forgot the password. Is there any chance to reset Mac password without the help of IT professional? Thanks for your help.
Mac password is crucial when trying to make changes on your device. It includes deleting important files, installing software or simply logging in to your computer. Unfortunately, Apple has taken care of their customers' security and resetting Mac password might be challenging.
Likewise, we have prepared multiple methods which should help you quickly reset the password and log in once again. We strongly advise you to not only carefully follow the instructions but also try all the provided techniques since some of them might not work for you.
Additionally, it is important to understand that malevolent people may also try to hack into your computer using similar methods. Therefore, you should definitely protect your computer by turning on FileVault encryption. This way, the crook won't be able to access your data unless he/she has a recovery key and password.
Keep in mind that you receive one after you turn on FileVault. We advise you to print it and put it somewhere safe. Be aware that if you forget or lose it, all your data will be lost permanently. Thus, understand the risks and take care of your computer's and files' security.
Recover forgotten password on Mac
Below you will find ways how to recover your Mac password. Make sure that you try them all to successfully reset the password. Unfortunately, these methods do not recover the password for KeyChain and similar applications. Likewise, you should create a new KeyChain account for the future use.
Method 1. Get a password hind to remember it
- Navigate to the top-left corner of your desktop and click on the Apple icon;
- Select System Preferences and click on Users & Groups.
- At the bottom-left corner of the window click the Lock icon;
- Press Return key three times until the hind appears below.
NOTE: If it doesn't show up, it means that it was not enabled in Login options.
Method 2. Use another account to change the password on Mac
- On the top-left corner of your desktop, click on the Apple icon and select Log Out option.
- Pick the account you remember the password to and log in;
- Open System Preferences and go to Users & Groups;
- Click on the Lock icon and enter the password;
- On the left sidebar select the account whose password you want to reset.
- Click on Reset Password button and create a new password.
NOTE: If the account whose password you remember doesn't have admin rights you will not be able to reset the password.
Method 3. Try recovery mode to reset your password
- Click on the Apple icon and select Shut Down option;
- Press Command + R + Power buttons all together until the load bar appears;
- Once it loads, select Disk Utilities and pick Terminal;
- Type resetpassword and press return button;
- Choose the volume which contains your account and click on Select the User Account;
- Submit the new password and press Save;
- Shut down your computer and turn it on normally.
Recover files and other system components automatically
To recover your files and other system components, you can use free guides by ugetfix.com experts. However, if you feel that you are not experienced enough to implement the whole recovery process yourself, we recommend using recovery solutions listed below. We have tested each of these programs and their effectiveness for you, so all you need to do is to let these tools do all the work.
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services like Netflix, BBC, Disney+ and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless where you are
Recover your lost files quickly
Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is a recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of important documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.