Issue: How to Change Your Computer's Name in Windows?
I bought a new computer with Windows 10. I know that there’s a way to change its name, but I couldn’t find it. Could you explain to me how it’s done?
Many users want to change their computer’s name for personal reasons. Most of the time they want to make it more personalized and easily recognizable in the network. Usually, when you buy a new computer, it is named with random letters, numbers or includes the brand of the PC. Thus, it’s not unique and might be hard to remember.
One of the main advantages of changing the name of your PC is that you will be able to pair it with other devices, for instance, Bluetooth mouse or printer. Therefore, in the appeared list of gadgets, you will be able to find your computer easily by its unique name.
It might seem hard to find necessary settings in order to change your computer’s name in Windows 10 and older OS versions. Indeed, there are plenty of settings, and it might be easy to get lost. Fortunately, we are here to help you to name your new computer with your preferred name.
Changing computer’s name in Windows 10
In order to rename your device, you have to access System settings. Follow these steps to complete this task:
1. Go to Settings and open System option.
2. Choose About section in the left panel.
3. In the About menu, you will see the current name of your computer. Below you should see “Rename PC” button. Click on it.
4. Enter your preferred name in the new box and click Next.
NOTE. You can use all possible characters, but you won’t be able to use space.
5. You will receive a pop-up asking to restart your computer in order to change the name:
- Click Restart Now button if you want to apply these changes immediately;
- Click Restart Later if you want to see these modifications the next time you boot your PC.
Older Windows OS users can change the name of their devices too
Windows 8, 7 or XP users can replace the name of their computers as well. In this case, you have to open Control Panel and access Advanced system settings. Therefore, follow these steps:
1. Click on the Start button and navigate to Control Panel.
2. Go to the System section.
3. From there you can go to:
- Advanced system settings located in the left panel
- or Change settings under “Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings.”
Both of these buttons will trigger System Properties window.
4. Click on the Computer Name tab. Here you will see saying “To rename this computer, click Change,” thus click “Change…” option.
5. In the appeared Computer Name/Domain Changes window you will see a box named “Computer name.” Enter the name there.
6. Once you type your preferred name, click OK.
7. You will receive a pop-up window asking to restart your computer to apply the changes:
- Click Restart Now to reboot computer and rename your PC right now;
- Click Restart Later to delay this process.
Keep in mind that your computer’s name will be changed only after restarting the device.
Optimize your system and make it work more efficiently
Optimize your system now! If you don't want to inspect your computer manually and struggle with trying to find issues that are slowing it down, you can use optimization software listed below. All these solutions have been tested by ugetfix.com team to be sure that they help improve the system. To optimize your computer with only one click, select one of these tools:
This patented repair process uses a database of 25 million components that can replace any damaged or missing file on user's computer.
To repair damaged system, you have to purchase the licensed version of Reimage malware removal tool.