Issue: How to disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry (CompatTelRunner.exe)?
While analyzing problems on my Windows computer, I noticed CompatTelRunner.exe task running in the task manager. Found out that it is a legitimate system file, but it uses an expectedly large amount of CPU resources. I tried ending the task, but it didn‘t work! What is the problem, then?
Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry (CompatTelRunner.exe) is a legit Windows OS file which is usually located in C:\\Windows\\System32 directory. This executive file is responsible for various processes on the system. Thus, it’s not malicious. However. However, some users find it suspicious why the file uses a respectively large amount of CPU and disk processing resources.
The CompatTelRunner.exe file is the component of Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program. Likewise, if not disabled, the file transfers the telemetry data, technical data about your operating system, to Microsoft. The app also restarts with each new Windows log-in session despite the attempts to disable the task completely.
Additionally, this executable is used for upgrading Windows to the latest available version or installing other Service Pack updates.
Users who are especially cautious about their privacy in cyber space are dissatisfied with the application transmitting telemetry information to Microsoft for service improvement purposes.
If you happen to be one of them and intend to terminate the application permanently, choose one of the following solutions and disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry.
Option 1. Disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry in Windows 10
- Press Windows button and type cmd.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator.
- Copy and paste the following keys successively and press Enter after each command:
- sc delete DiagTrack
- sc delete dmwappushservice
- echo “” > C:\\ProgramData\\Microsoft\\Diagnosis\\ETLLogs\\AutoLogger\\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl
- reg add “HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Policies\\Microsoft\\Windows\\DataCollection” /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
Option 2. Delete CompatTellRunner.exe with owner rights
- First of all, log into your Windows account as Administrator.
- Press Windows key to open Start menu.
- Use the Windows Search: type compattelrunner.exe and wait. Once Windows finds the program for you, right–click on it and select Open File Location.
- You will access the folder with this program in it. Right-click on it again and choose Properties.
- Go to Security tab and then you will find Advanced button in it. Click it.
- Now, in a new window that was opened, go to Owner tab. Choose Change Owner. You should find your computer user name in the list – select it and hit the Apply button.
- You might receive a message asking you to close all currently open Properties windows. If there are some, close them.
- Go to the folder that contains Compattelrunner.exe file and right-click on this file again.
- Navigate to Properties > Security > Advanced > Permissions. Choose your account and click Edit. then look at Permissions of Users window. Here, put a checkmark on Full Control and click Apply.
- Delete Compattelrunner.exe from its folder, the right-click on the Trash Bin and select Empty the Trash Bin afterward.
TIP: Do NOT delete the entire KB2977759 update. This will only cause you problems later!
Option 3. Use Task Scheduler to disable the process
- Press Windows key and R at the same time. In the Run window, type taskschd.msc and press Enter.
- Task Scheduler will be opened for you. Look at the navigation panel on the left and expand these folders – Task Scheduler Library, then Microsoft, then Windows, and finally Application Experience.
- Right-click on the following programs and Disable them: AITAgent, Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser, ProgramDataUpdater.
Option 4. Check your operating system with a security program
There has been a tendency among hackers to disguise their malware under the names of legitimate apps and files. You should not worry about this file since it is legitimate. However, precaution always comes in handy on the Internet so install Reimage. This utility helps to detect various malware ranging from ordinary PUPs to more severe viruses.
Optimize your system and make it work more efficiently
Optimize your system now! If you don't want to inspect your computer manually and struggle with trying to find issues that are slowing it down, you can use optimization software listed below. All these solutions have been tested by ugetfix.com team to be sure that they help improve the system. To optimize your computer with only one click, select one of these tools: