Issue: How to fix 0x8024401c error on Windows?
Windows 10 Error code 0x8024401c prevents from installing updates. What can I do about it?
The 0x8024401c error is one of many Windows Update errors. It might occur on any version of the operating system, but recently many Windows 10 users started complaining about this issue. Fortunately, just like many other errors, this one can be solved too.
The main reasons for the 0x8024401c error are:
- problems with the internet connection;
- outdated drivers;
- corrupted system files;
- misconfiguration of Windows Registry.
Installation of updates requires a strong internet connection. Hence, if you received Error Code 0x8024401c for the first time, you should check if internet capable is plugged in correctly or make sure that you are connected to a Wi-Fi network. You should do it even though you are certain that your computer is set to connect to Wi-Fi automatically.
If there are any issues with the network connection, there might be more serious problems, but there’s no need to worry because they can be solved too. Our team offers five methods that should help to fix 0x8024401c error on Windows.
Five methods to fix 0x8024401c error on Windows computers
As we have mentioned at the beginning, you should start dealing with the problem by checking your internet connection. If you use Wi-Fi, you should switch to cable and vice versa. If this simple solution doesn’t help, try the methods explained below.
In this video you will find all the information you need:
Method 1. Uncheck iPv6 and use the iPv4 network
If the Internet connection is smooth, there might be issues with servers’ connection. Therefore, you can disable iPv6 protocol and us iPv4 network instead:
- Click Windows + X keys and choose Network connections from the menu.
- Right-click on the connection you use and choose Properties.
- In This connection uses the following items box, uncheck the iPv6 box.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Open Windows updates and try installing them again.
If this method did not help to fix 0x8024401c error, try the following method.
Method 2. Update drivers
- Click the Start button and enter Device Manager in the Windows search box.
- Open the Device Manager and check the drivers that might be outdated.
- Right-click the driver and choose Update Driver Software option.
- Click Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Wait until Windows find and install the updates. However, if the operating system does not find any updates, you can check them on the official manufacturer’s website and install them manually.
Method 3. Run SFC scan
If the 0x8024401c error still prevents from installing Windows updates, the problem might be corrupted or deleted system files. In order to check them and fix the problem, you have to run SFC scan:
- Click Windows + X keys and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
- In the Command Prompt window type the following command and click Enter: sfc /scannow
- Wait until the scan is over. You will receive information about replaced files.
Method 4. Modify Windows Registry
We highly recommend creating a registry backup before you begin. In case something went wrong, backups will prevent you from the damage. Once you are done, follow these steps:
- Click Windows key + R to open Run dialog box.
- Type regedit and click OK.
- You will end up in Windows Registry. Navigate to this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > WindowsUpdate
- In WindowsUpdate, click AU.
- In AU folder find UseWUServer and change its value data to 0.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Restart the computer and check if it helped to fix error code 0x8024401c.
Method 5. Perform a clean boot
If you tried all four methods and 0x8024401c error still bothers you, this is your last chance to solve the problem. You have to clean boot Windows by following these steps:
- Click Windows key + R and type msconfig in the Run box.
- Click OK.
- In the System Configuration window, go to Services tab.
- At the end of the tab, you will see Hide all Microsoft services option. Put the tick in the box next to this entry.
- Click Disable all button and then OK.
- Restart the computer and try to install available Windows updates.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
A VPN is also crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that you are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speed.
Therefore, to stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will prevent the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can decide to reboot the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost.
Additionally, you might also be attacked by malware that can corrupt your Windows or encrypt files with a robust encryption algorithm, and ask for a ransom in Bitcoin for the decryption tool. Cybercriminals might not deliver what they promised, however, so it is better to attempt alternative file recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data.
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.