Issue: How to Fix Black Screen on Windows 10?
I’ve recently installed Windows 10 and I love it. However, it seems that there is some problem with it because when I sing in to Windows and the system boots, I see only a black screen with a responsive mouse cursor, data, and time. No matter how long I wait, the screen doesn’t change, so I have to reboot the system. It’s interesting that sometimes reboot works and Windows boots to a normal screen. Could you please comment on this?
Thousands of people have already reported about black screen issue on Windows 10. The issue usually appears right after installing Windows 10 from scratch or running its upgrade (Anniversary update in particular). This issue is related to hardware problems, which is why you will have to troubleshoot settings and fix them. According to Windows engineers, Windows boots to the black window when it is misled about monitors attached to it. To be more precise, if you have Intel graphics controller on board and additional graphic card attached, Windows system assumes that you have more than one monitor connected. Consequently, when it sends video signal to a monitor that is not present in reality, you see black Windows screen. Luckily, it’s easier to fix black login screen on Windows 10 than you think.
How to fix black screen on Windows 10?
Tip 1. When your Windows system is booted and you see a black window, most probably you see a static mouse pointer. Wait a while for a poise pointer to start moving and heeding to your commands. Now you have to press the Ctrl button once and enter your password.
NOTE: you will have to enter your password blindly because clicking Ctrl on your keyboard will place mouse cursor on the password box, but still you will not see anything except black screen.
Be very careful and make sure that you enter a correct password and then hit Enter. In case you mistyped the password, press Windows icon + P key, and down arrow key on your keyboard twice. Type your password one more time and hit Enter.
Tip 2. In case this did not help, try the trick with the power.
- Take out the battery.
- Unplug the power adapter.
- Hold Power button for at least 10 seconds.
- Put the battery in and connect the charger. Try to run the system and if the black screen is gone.
Tip 3. Disable Fast Startup
Fast Startup is intrinsic part of Windows 10, what means that it allows a fast booting of the system and faster access to the needed files. However, Fast startup may cause problems like black login screen. To turn it off, you have to do the following:
- Boot your system using Windows 10 Installation Media.
- At the bottom, click on Repair your Computer option.
- Select Troubleshoot and then Advanced Options.
- Click on Startup settings and then Restart.
- Opt for Safe mode with Networking.
- When your PC boots, navigate to Control Panel and select Power Options.
- Finally, select Choose What the Power Buttons Do on the left side.
Tip 4. Remove Display Adapter
- When you encounter the black screen on Windows 10, click Ctrl + Alt + Delete command to open Task Manager.
- If Task Manager Window shows up, click on File, New and enter explorer.exe to open Explorer window.
- Here you have to login and reinstall antivirus and graphic card.
- If you’ve successfully accessed Explorer window, then hold Windows key and press R simultaneously.
- Type hdwwiz.cpl in the dialogue box and press OK.
- Find your display adapter and expand it. Right-click on it and select Uninstall.
- Finally, go to the official website and download the latest version of the driver.
We hope that these steps have helped you to fix black login screen after Windows Anniversary Update. To end up this post, we would highly recommend you to install a PC optimization tool, such as FortectMac Washing Machine X9 because it will help to fix registries, cache, prevent malware infections, and similar errors that help to keep the best PC’s performance.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.