Issue: How to Fix Boot Configuration Error Code 0xc0000454 on Windows 10?
For the past couple of weeks, my laptop started malfunctioning during the bootup phase. When I start it up, the system delivers an error code 0xc0000454, which says ‘The boot configuration data for your PC is missing or contains errors.’ Usually, I have to wait several minutes until the system successfully boots the windows screen. However, sometimes the booting process gets stuck and I have to reboot the system several times. Could someone please help?
The Error Code 0xc0000454 is a black screen error, which emergence is associated with the Windows 10 Creators Update. This bug either was very rare and easily solvable earlier or did not exist at all because there is practically no information about it yet. Regarding people’s reports, it gets clear that the problem harasses only Windows 10 users who have installed the latest updates.
The 0xc0000454 error always shows up during the Windows 10 startup before the Windows screen shows up. The message indicates the fact that ‘The boot configuration data for your PC is missing or contains errors.’ Through investigation of this problem revealed that the problem is related to the Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr) entry, which, for some reason, is missing in the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store, or corrupted Boot\\BCD file.
Usually, boot configuration errors like 0xc0000454 can usually be solved without the help of a professional IT specialist. Nevertheless, these errors are considered as fatal as they often prevent the system from booting, which is why the only way to fix them is to boot the system using a bootable Windows Installation Media and perform a system recovery using it. So, if you can’t access your PC or have to restart the system several times to work around the bug, try to perform the steps provided down below:
How to Fix Boot Configuration Error Code 0xc0000454 on Windows 10?
The error 0xc0000454 fix method depends on whether you manage to boot up the system or not.
Method 1. Run Startup Repair using preinstalled recovery option
If you have managed to successfully turn on your machine, then try to fix the bug by following these steps:
- Remove all external drives (CD, DVD USB) from the device and reboot it by pressing Power button.
- Then, press and hold F8 key before the Windows logo shows up.
- Using the arrow keys on your keyboard, go to the Repair your computer and then press Enter.
- Opt for keyboard layout and click Next.
- Now you have to select user name, type in the password, and press OK.
- When the System Recovery Option menu shows up, select Startup Repair.
- If necessary, reboot the system.
Method 2. Run Startup Repair using Windows 10 installation media
If you cannot boot into your PC normally because the system gets stuck with the 0xc0000454 error during the boot phase, you should create Windows 10 installation media using a USB or DVD drive and plug it to your device. Once done, follow these instructions:
- Reboot the PC.
- Press any key to boot from the installation media.
- Select language, time, currency, and keyboard/input method and press Next.
- Click Repair your computer (NOT Install Windows) and select the type of OS you want to repair.
- Click Troubleshoot.
- Select Advanced and click Automatic Repair or Startup Repair.
- When the system detects the OS, select the one that is running on your PC.
- Finally, unplug the USB or remove DVD bootable media and try to boot your device.
If these steps did not help and after system's reboot you encountered the error 0xc0000454 again, try these steps”
- Click Power button and try to boot your PC.
- Press F8 key repeatedly at boot and select Repair your computer.
- Select Command Prompt and type the following commands (press Enter after each one). NOTE: space before / is necessary:
TIP: once the 0xc0000454 error is fixed, we would recommend installing FortectMac Washing Machine X9 and regularly scanning the system with it. This tool is known as an optimization tool, meaning that it will take care of your system to prevent it from running into errors.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Access geo-restricted video content with a VPN
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
Don’t pay ransomware authors – use alternative data recovery options
Malware attacks, particularly ransomware, are by far the biggest danger to your pictures, videos, work, or school files. Since cybercriminals use a robust encryption algorithm to lock data, it can no longer be used until a ransom in bitcoin is paid. Instead of paying hackers, you should first try to use alternative recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data. Otherwise, you could also lose your money, along with the files. One of the best tools that could restore at least some of the encrypted files – Data Recovery Pro.