Issue: How to Fix BSOD Error Code 0x80060402?
Yesterday I tried to download Google Hangouts app and during the download process, an error code popped up reading “A username and password are being requested by http://browseralertsystems.online. The site says: “0x80060402 Warning: Activation Key Damaged!!! Call Help Desk.” I forced my web browser to close and the message was gone. However, it reappears randomly when I browser either with Chrome or Firefox. Please tell me what should I do? Is it a virus lurking on the system?
0x80060402 is a fake error message that has been spread on the Internet by hackers to make people believe that their PCs have been blocked and that they have to call for a remote technical support for help. However, that’s just a rogue technical support scam, which is used for cheating on inexperienced PC users. In most of the cases, 0x80060402 Error Code and similar pop-up alerts cause people money loss, unconscious installation or other potentially unwanted programs or even inadvertent subscription of useless services.
0x80060402 pop-up alert can affect all types of PCs, Windows versions (7, 8, 8.1, XP, Vista, 10), and web browsers (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, etc.). That’s because this error is triggered no by some specific system failure, but by a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that is known as adware. When you download a free program from a third-party download websites, there is a high probability that it may have third-party plug-ins attached. Therefore, if you install a freeware using Quick or Recommended setup, all the attachments get installed by default. Beware that third-party plug-ins and add-ons are usually ad-supported, which is why Error Code 0x80060402 and similar issues may start emerging.
Beware that 0x80060402 error does seem convincing. When people browser the web, the browser may deliver the following message:
A serious malfunction has been detected with Windows 10 and your Microsoft Edge 13.10586.
Please call the toll-free number below for a Microsoft Certified technicians to help you resolve the issue:
DO NOT call the provided support number because it is managed by hackers who may try to swindle your money or lure into subscribing paid services. To stop receiving fake Error Code 0x80060402 pop-up alerts, you have to root out the adware that causes them to show up. The following guidelines will explain you how to fix 0x80070424 Error on Windows and Mac OS.
How to fix 0x80060402 Error Code?
First of all, do not start to panic when 0x80060402 pop-up virus shows up on your web browser. Keep in mind that it’s just a scam, which has been prepared in a very convincing way. What you have to do immediately is to force your web browser to close. For this purpose, do the following:
- Click Ctrl + Alt + Delete to open Task Manager.
- Locate your web browser on the list, click on it, and select End Task.
- When a confirmation window shows up, click End Now.
As soon as this is done, your task is to find and delete the ad-supported extension, which is the core of this error. To do that, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features. (Windows 7 or Vista)
- Navigate to Start → Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP)
- Right-click in the lower-left corner of the screen and wait until Quick Access Menu appears. Here select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program. (Windows 8/10)
- Look through a list of programs that are installed on your computer and find the ones that look suspicious to you.
- Click on the suspicious programs and select Uninstall.
- After that, click OK.
- Find Mozilla Firefox shortcut on your computer, right-click on it and open its Properties.
- Open Shortcut tab, and find Target Field. You should see a suspicious URL in it – delete it, and click OK.
- Repeat 6-7 steps with Google Chrome and Internet Explorer shortcuts, too.
Instructions for Mac users:
- Click Go → Applications.
- Find all questionable programs, right-click on them and move them to Trash.
- Now, you need to clean each web browser from error code 0x80060402 components.
Finaly, you have to reset web browser’s settings and enable third-party extension/-s that are ad-supported and deliver you support scam alerts. Perform the following steps:
- Launch Google Chrome, click on three-bar button at the top right corner (Menu button) and go to Tools → Extensions.
- Look for suspicious browser extensions and eliminate them by clicking on Trash icons next to them.
- Open menu again, then go to Settings. Find On startup part, and click Set pages next to Open a specific page or a set of pages option.
- Remove suspicious websites by clicking on X next to them, and then enter a URL of the site that you would like to set as your homepage.
- Then go to Menu → Settings → Manage Search engines.
- When Search engine window shows up, remove all suspicious entries and leave only the search engine that you would like to use on a daily basis.
- Reset Google Chrome. Go to Menu → Settings, then click on Reset Browser Settings button at the bottom of the page.
- Once Reset browser settings window appears, click Reset to confirm your choice.
- Launch Mozilla Firefox, open its menu (click on three bars in the top right corner of the window), and then go to Add-ons → Extensions.
- In the Extensions panel, look for suspicious browser extensions that you do not remember installing. Click Remove next to extensions that you do not want to keep.
- Now, check if your homepage wasn’t changed by this computer parasite. Open Mozilla Firefox menu once again, and go to Options → General.
- In the Startup section, click Restore to Default, or just enter another Home Page URL and click OK.
- Reset your browser. Again, open Firefox menu, go to Troubleshooting Information and then click Reset Firefox.
- When a pop-up message asking to confirm your choice appears, click Reset Firefox again.
- Launch IE browser, and then open its menu by clicking on the Gear icon, which is at the top right corner of the browser. Then go to Manage Add-ons.
- When the Manage Add-ons window appears, look through all questionable browser extensions and disable them. For that, right-click each of them and then select Disable.
- Open menu once again and go to Internet Options. In General tab, replace the Homepage address with a URL of your choice. Then hit Apply to save.
- Reset IE. Open its menu, go to Internet Options → Advanced.
- Click Reset.
- When the Reset Internet Explorer Settings window shows up, put a tick next to option Delete personal settings and hit Reset again.
- Launch Safari, and then find and click Safari in the menu bar at the top of the screen. Then go to Preferences.
- Go to Extensions tab and look for suspicious entries. Uninstall each of them.
- Then go to General tab and check what URL is entered into Homepage box. If you see a suspicious link, remove it and replace it with a website that you want to set as a homepage. Remember that you must type in http:// before entering a preferred URL.
- Reset Safari. Click Safari, and click on Reset Safari… option.
- When Reset Safari pop-up appears, check all checkboxes and click Reset.
Once you are finished with these steps, your web browser should stop generating fake 0x80060402 Error messages. You can also try to fix this issue by installing a PC optimization tool, such as ReimageMac Washing Machine X9. This program works in collaboration with Avira antivirus and is capable if detecting malware. Therefore, it may check and detect unwanted third-party apps running on your machine. Even if you have successfully fixed 0x80060402 support scam manually, it’s advisable to have ReimageMac Washing Machine X9 on the system in order to maintain the best performance of your PC and prevent further PUP infections.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.