Issue: How to Fix "Can't open this item. It might have been moved, renamed, or deleted" Error on Windows?
I’ve been struggling with the issue. When I want to click on any files, the message pops up saying “Can't open this item. It might have been moved, renamed, or deleted. Do you want to remove this item?” and nothing happens. I suppose it is a Windows bug or system failure? Any advice would be appreciated.
“Can't open this item. It might have been moved, renamed, or deleted. Do you want to remove this item?” error often signifies that the registry files linking the icons and application have gone missing or got damaged.
Usually, users, who are more experienced might have accidentally corrupted the mentioned files which would result in the failure to open programs. Here you will find a couple of suggestions to solve “Can't open this item. It might have been moved, renamed, or deleted” error. Note that the solution differs depending on the origin of the problem.
It is possible that such message might suggest malicious presence on the system. For instance, due to Malwarebytes Anti-malware effectiveness in eliminating computer threats, some malware disables the program.
As a result, users cannot launch the software. A similar error message or no notification might appear. There is another article which is specifically dedicated to the program. Thus, you may use Reimage to eliminate computer virus.
Option 1. Create an Alternative Windows User Account
In case you cannot open only one program, you will need to copy its .exe file from another users’ account and replace it with the one which is located in a problematic account. Here are the steps how you can create a new user’s account:
- Click on the Start button.
- Choose Settings, enter Accounts and choose Family & other people section. Click on Add someone else to this PC.
Step 2. If you want to create an administrator account
- Click on Start. Enter Settings and then Account. Navigate to Family & other people section.
- Choose Change account type. Under Account type, select Administrator > OK. Reboot the device and sign in with the new administrator account.
Note. Users with older than Windows 10 versions will find the necessary instructions under Control Panel, user Account and Family Safety section.
Option 2. Delete the .lnk Folder via Registry Editor
This action would delete the .lnk folder which relates the icons with the programs. After you will delete them, the operating system will recreate them.
- Click on the Windows button+R and type regedit.
- Go to the following location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\FileExts\\.lnk
- Locate the subfolder named UserChoice.
- Delete it and reboot the device.
Option 3. Scan for System Errors with System File Checker
- Click on the Start button and type Command Prompt. Right click on it and run it as administrator.
- Type sfc /scannow and click on the Enter button.
- Wait for the process to finish. Follow necessary instructions.
Option 4. Rename the .exe File of a Security App
In case you only a security application does not open and you notice another unusual behavior on the system as well as the browser. Scan the device with malware elimination tool. In case it does not open either, change its .exe file into a .bat, .scr or.com. You might be able to do so but the program will not launch, follow these steps:
- Right-click on the icon of the application and choose Properties.
- Enter Compatibility tab and check the option Run this program in compatibility mode and choose your Windows option. If that does not work, opt for older Windows versions.
- Launch the software and remove malware. It would be recommended to scan the system in Safe Mode. After the threats will be successfully removed, repeat the procedure to make sure.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: