Issue: How to fix “Current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded” error on Windows 10?
I tried to download iTunes, but the process was terminated by an error “Current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded.” I thought at first that the problem is related to my Norton Security software, so I disabled it and removed. The thing is that Norton removal did not fix the problem. Instead, now when I try to re-install Norton Security software, the “Current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded” error pop-up shows up. What should I do??
“Current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded” is an undesirable Microsoft Security Alert, which may cause lots of inconveniences to the PC user. There is nothing much to explain about this pop-up because, despite being a short, seemingly uninformative message, “Current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded” alert indicates the culprit, which is PC’s security settings. We have analyzed various diverse cases related to this security alert and excluded the faulty Internet Explorer’s settings, incorrect Internet Options, damaged registry keys, antivirus protection or too high-security level causes as the most frequent “Current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded” error causes. Indeed, PC’s security is a priority, but if you cannot install anything due to the too high-security requirements, the PC might become a useless thing. Luckily, there are several methods that may help you to fix “Current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded” error without affecting PC’s security.
How to Disable “Current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded” Pop-Up on Windows 10?
To start with, experts recommend disabling the third-party antivirus if you are using it and check if the “Current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded” pop-up reappears. If it does, then try to run a scan with RestoroMac Washing Machine X9. This piece of software will fix the registries, system files, and heal other problematic areas, as well as delete malware. Did not help? Then try the following fixes:
Method 1. Enable the file download in Internet Explorer.
- Open Internet Explorer and click Tools.
- Open Options and go to the Security tab.
- Select the Internet Zone and click Custom Level.
- Find Download and make sure that File download is Enabled.
- Then click Apply and OK to save the changes.
- Restart Internet Explorer and check if that helped.
Method 2. Reset Internet options
- Right-click on Windows key and select Control Panel.
- Find Internet Options on the list and open it.
- Then click on Security tab at the top of the screen and click Custom level.
- Scroll down to the Downloads section and make sure that File download and Font download options are enabled.
- Then find the Miscellaneous section and check the Prompt option for Launching applications and unsafe files and Launching programs and files in an iframe.
- Then click Apply and OK to save the changes.
Method 3. Unblock separate files
If you can’t download a particular file, it might be that your PC is blocking a specific type of files as it recognizes them as malware. If you are sure that a file you attempt to download is not malicious, you can unblock it by performing the following steps:
- Right-click on the file and select Properties.
- Click Unblock button and try to download it again.
- If you opt for another file, you will have to repeat the same steps.
Method 4. Export several registry keys
To perform this method, you have to have an alternative PC, which runs the same version of Windows 10 and does not encounter “Current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded” error. Alternatively, you may try to create a new user account and check if the “Current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded” error occurs on it as well. If not, then you may export the registry keys from a different account.
- Use a PC or an alternative account that does not throw “Current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded” error.
- Press Windows key + R, type regedit, and hit Enter.
- Once you are inside the Registry Editor, use the left pane to navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones key.
- Right-click on the Zones key and select Export.
- Select the location where you want the key to be saved and enter the name of the copy, e.g. copy_zones.reg.
- Click Save and close the Registry Editor.
- Now open the problematic account or PC and open the Registry Editor on it.
- Use the left pane to navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones key.
- Rename the Zones key as, for example, damaged_zones and delete it.
- Then locate copy_zones.reg file that you have created previously and run it.
- Once the new key is added, check if the problem has been resolved.
Hopefully, this guide was helpful and you have successfully fixed “Current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded” error on Windows 10.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Access geo-restricted video content with a VPN
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
Don’t pay ransomware authors – use alternative data recovery options
Malware attacks, particularly ransomware, are by far the biggest danger to your pictures, videos, work, or school files. Since cybercriminals use a robust encryption algorithm to lock data, it can no longer be used until a ransom in bitcoin is paid. Instead of paying hackers, you should first try to use alternative recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data. Otherwise, you could also lose your money, along with the files. One of the best tools that could restore at least some of the encrypted files – Data Recovery Pro.