Issue: How to fix DRIVER_RETURNED_HOLDING_CANCEL_LOCK BSOD in Windows?
Hello. My Windows PC keeps crashing with DRIVER_RETURNED_HOLDING_CANCEL_LOCK Blue Screen error. How do I stop it?
Blue Screen errors are critical system errors that occur in Windows operating systems. They are also known as Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) errors. They result in a blue screen with an error message and the system being forced to restart to prevent further damage.
The mentioned issue, “DRIVER_RETURNED_HOLDING_CANCEL_LOCK,” is a type of Blue Screen error. Device drivers, which are software components that allow hardware devices to communicate with the operating system, are frequently to blame. Other causes of this error include a lack of system resources, DLL files, threats, corrupted system files, and conflicts between similar applications. This error can also be caused by hardware issues such as bad disk sectors, insufficient disk space due to junk accumulation, and incorrect memory allocation.
This problem has the potential to significantly impact users by causing system instability, frequent crashes, and the loss of unsaved data. It has the potential to disrupt workflow, cause frustration, and potentially disrupt important tasks or projects. Users may need to update or reinstall the faulty device drivers, run system scans to detect and repair corrupted files, resolve conflicts between conflicting applications, and ensure adequate disk space and memory allocation to resolve this issue.
In this guide, you will find 10 steps that should help you fix DRIVER_RETURNED_HOLDING_CANCEL_LOCK BSOD in Windows. You can also use a system repair tool like FortectMac Washing Machine X9 that can fix most system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, and registry issues. Otherwise, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Solution 1. Fix Corrupted System Files
Use Command Prompt commands to repair system file corruption:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- Reboot your system
- If SFC returned an error, then use the following command lines, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Solution 2. Uninstall the most latest Windows Update
- Press the Windows key + I to open Settings.
- Go to Windows Update from the navigation pane.
- Click on Update history.
- Scroll to the bottom and click on Uninstall updates.
- Locate the update after which the error first appeared.
- Click on Uninstall next to that update.
- Confirm the uninstallation when prompted.
- Finally, restart the computer to complete the process.
Solution 3. Update Drivers
Outdated drivers could be the cause of this issue. In this case, you can fix it automatically by using DriverFix, which will scan your PC for missing and out-of-date device drivers. Or you can update them manually:
- Open Settings.
- Click on Update & Security.
- Click on Windows Update.
- Click the Check for updates button.
- Click the View optional updates option.
- Click the Driver updates tab.
- Select the driver you want to update.
- Click the Download and install button.
If the View optional updates link is not available after checking for updates, then Windows Update does not have any new drivers or any updates for other products at that particular time.
Solution 4. Install Windows Updates
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run box.
- Type ms-settings:windowsupdate in the text box and press Enter.
- Click the Check for updates button.
- If a new update is available, click the Download & Install all button.
- Restart your computer after the process is finished and check to see if the problem is fixed.
Solution 5. Run Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Windows has a built-in RAM testing tool. It’s included on Windows 10, Windows 11, Windows 7, and all other modern versions of Windows.
- Open the Start menu, type Windows Memory Diagnostic, and press Enter
- Click Restart now and check for problems (recommended)
- Your computer will now restart
- The test may take several minutes. You will see a progress bar and a Status message will inform you if any problems have been detected during the process
Solution 6. Use System Restore
System Restore is a feature in Microsoft Windows that allows users to revert their computer's state to a previous point in time. This can be helpful if you have made changes to your system that are causing problems.
- Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run box.
- Type SystemPropertiesProtection and press Enter.
- Go to the System Protection tab.
- You will see the System Restore… button. Click it to run System Restore.
- Follow the prompts until you can select a restore point.
- Select the one you want (ideally before the issue started occurring) and go ahead with the process.
Solution 7. Run a Malware Scan
It is possible that a malware infection may be the cause of DRIVER_RETURNED_HOLDING_CANCEL_LOCK Blue Screen in Windows. It is important to run a comprehensive security scan to rule out this possibility and ensure that the computer is not infected. This can help to prevent further issues with the Windows operating system and ensure that it is functioning properly.
If you have access to a security scanner, or if your organization pays for one, you can use it to scan your entire system to check for a virus infection. Otherwise, you can use Windows Defender to scan your system:
- Click on the Windows Start menu or press the Windows key on your keyboard.
- Type Microsoft Defender in the search bar and click on Microsoft Defender Antivirus to open the application.
- Click on the Virus & threat protection option in the left-hand menu.
- Click on the Quick scan or Full scan option, depending on your preference.
- If you choose Quick scan, Microsoft Defender Antivirus will scan the most vulnerable and commonly infected areas of your computer.
- If you choose Full scan, Microsoft Defender Antivirus will scan your entire computer, including all files, folders, and programs.
- Click on the Scan now button to start the selected scan type and wait for the scan to complete.
- The time it takes will depend on the size of your hard drive and the number of files being scanned.
- Once the scan is complete, you will be informed of any detected threats, and you can choose to quarantine or remove them.
- If no threats are found, Microsoft Defender Antivirus will inform you that your device is secure.
Solution 8. Uninstall Third-Party Antivirus
- Click on the Windows Start menu in the bottom left-hand corner of your screen.
- Type Control Panel into the search bar and click on the corresponding result.
- Click on Programs or Programs and Features depending on the version of Windows you're using.
- Scroll through the list of installed programs until you find the antivirus software you want to remove.
- Click on the antivirus program to select it, and then click on the Uninstall button at the top of the list.
- Follow the prompts in the uninstall wizard to complete the removal process.
- If prompted, restart your computer to complete the uninstallation process.
Solution 9. Prevent Windows from Restarting Automatically
- Press the Windows key + S.
- Type Advanced system settings.
- Hit Enter.
- Once a new popup named System Properties appears, go to the Startup and Recovery section.
- Click on Settings.
- Once a new wizard appears, scroll down to the System failure field and unselect the box before Automatically restart.
- Next, click on OK.
- When these changes are saved, the PC will no longer reboot during bug checking.
Solution 10. Free up Space
- Press the Windows key + R keys on the keyboard.
- Type cleanmgr and hit the Enter key.
- When the small popup appears, click on the dropdown menu and choose (C:).
- Select Ok.
- The cleanmgr will start calculating the amount of space it can recover by deleting junk.
- On the window that appears afterward, click on Clean up system files.
- Again, select (C:) and press the Enter key.
- In the Disk Cleanup for (C:) wizard, select all the options under Files to delete.
- Hit Ok and click Delete.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Access geo-restricted video content with a VPN
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
Don’t pay ransomware authors – use alternative data recovery options
Malware attacks, particularly ransomware, are by far the biggest danger to your pictures, videos, work, or school files. Since cybercriminals use a robust encryption algorithm to lock data, it can no longer be used until a ransom in bitcoin is paid. Instead of paying hackers, you should first try to use alternative recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data. Otherwise, you could also lose your money, along with the files. One of the best tools that could restore at least some of the encrypted files – Data Recovery Pro.