Issue: How to fix ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error on Google Chrome?
I cannot open a few websites with Chrome. It tells that webpage is not available and gives ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error code. What should I do? I do not want to use another browser.
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT is one of many Google Chrome errors that prevents from accessing wanted websites. The problem might occur on any version of the browser on any version of Windows OS, including Windows 10, 8, 7 or XP. However, reasons and solutions to the problem remain the same.
Most of the time ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error appears due to:
- cached browser;
- misconfiguration of LAN settings;
- issues with DNS;
- outdated Network adapters driver.
Therefore, all these problems can be fixed easily. However, before you try our suggested methods to fix ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error on Google Chrome, you should simply try to refresh the page. In some cases, it is a one time error that does not require clearing browsing history, configuring various settings or updating network driver.
Four ways to fix ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error on Google Chrome
Just like we have just mentioned, this Chrome error might be a one-time problem. However, if you refreshed your browser numerous times and still cannot access your favorite website, you should try the following methods to fix the issue.
This video will help you:
Solution 1. Clear browsing information
The simplest method to fix ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error is to clear Chrome browsing data. Follow these steps:
- Open Chrome’s Settings by clicking three vertical dots in the top right corner.
- Click Settings.
- Scroll down to Advanced and expand this option.
- Click Clear browsing data option.
- Set Time range to All time.
- Mark all checkboxes to clear all browsing-related information that was saved on Chrome.
- Click Clear data button.
Solution 2. Configure LAN settings
- Click Windows key + R to open Run dialog box.
- Type inetcpl.cpl and click OK.
- In the appeared Internet Options window, navigate to Connections tab.
- Click LAN settings button.
- Make sure that all three checkboxes are selected:
Automatically detect settings;
Use automatic configuration script
Use a proxy server for your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections)
- Click OK to save changes.
Open Google Chrome and check if the ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error still exists. If you still cannot browse due to this issue, try the third method.
Solution 3. Flush DNS and renew IP address
DNS (Domain Name System) flushing allows cleaning all the DNS information and records, a.k.a cache. Once you flush DNS, the website-related information is deleted, so you might not see the ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error.
- Enter Command Prompt in the Windows search box.
- Right-click Command Prompt entry and choose Run as administrator option.
- Click Yes in the appeared User Account Control prompt asking to allow Command Prompt making changes to the computer.
- When in Command Prompt, type the following commands and click Enter after each of them:
netsh winsock reset
- Restart your computer.
Solution 4. Update or reinstall Network adapters driver
The ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error might be triggered by outdated Network adapters driver. Therefore, updating or reinstalling it can help to solve the problem. Start with update procedure:
- In the Windows search box, type device manager.
- Open Device Manager from the results page.
- Navigate to Network adapters section and expand it.
- Find your networking device, right-click it and choose Update driver.
- You will receive a prompt asking How do you want to search for drivers? Choose Search automatically for updated driver software to complete this procedure automatically.
- Windows should scan for updates and suggest to install them.
- Restart the computer.
If Windows cannot find any available updates, you should check for them on the official manufacturer’s website and install them manually (the last step should be choosing Browse my computer for driver software).
Another way to fix ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error is to uninstall the driver. In order to do that, you need to follow the same steps, but instead of Update driver option, you have to choose Uninstall device option and restart the computer.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.
- ^ Local area network. Wikipedia. The free encyclopedia.
- ^ Josh Halliday. Explainer: what is 'DNS', why does it matter and how does it work?. The Guardian. News, sport and opinion.
- ^ David Bisson. Why it’s a good idea to clear your browser history and cookies. Graham Cluley. Latest computer security news, opinion and advice.