Issue: How to fix ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED Google Chrome Error?
Hello. I have always been using Google Chrome browser, and I never had problems with it. However, recently I could not access certain websites as I get shown the following error instead: ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED. I tried to restart my browser as well as a computer but that did not help and I still cannot access some websites. Can you please help as I really want to keep using Chrome?
The ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED error typically appears when you want to enter a specific website, and it technically means that the name of the site cannot be resolved. The note shows the warning that the website you want to access is not available. DNS stands for Domain Name System and is responsible for resolving domains. In other words, DNS had a problem while doing it and there can be many reasons for this to happen. Nevertheless, we compiled a few solutions that might be able to help you to fix an ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED error.
Multiple reasons could case ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED error to occur, including:
- Configuration issues with Google Chrome browser;
- Configuration issues with your computer;
- Malfunctioning of the browser;
- Mistyped address;
- Wrong network configuration settings, etc.
Error messages can occur because of malware infiltration as well. Malicious programs often enter machines without users' noticing and make changes to Registry entries and other system settings. This can result in DNS settings modification as well, resulting in an ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED error. Nevertheless, it is recommended to scan your machine with reputable anti-malware tool to make sure that malware is not the culprit. For that, we advise using Reimage.
Speaking of security software, sometimes it might be the cause of the ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED error, as it can block access to certain websites. Try to disable the anti-malware program and see if it resolves a problem. If it does – reinstall your security tool.
Now, if you want to know how to fix the ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED error, see solutions below.
Fix 1. Swap to Google DNS address
Google's DNS servers are offered to everybody and are maintained by Google itself. These servers are stable and are up most of the time, so swapping to a reliable DNS might be a good idea. To achieve that, follow these steps:
- Right-click on Start button and select Network Connections
- On the right pane, click on Ethernet
- Click on Change adapter options on the right
- Right-click on Ethernet and select Properties
- From the list, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties
- In the Properties window, select Use the following DNS server addresses and enter the following:
- Preferred DNS server: 22.214.171.124
- Alternative DNS server: 126.96.36.199
- Click OK and restart your computer
Fix 2. Renew your DNS via Command Prompt
Users reported that this ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED error fix helped them in most cases. Therefore, try the following:
- Click on Start and type in cmd into the search box
- Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
- Type in each of these lines, hitting Enter every single time:
ipconfig /flushdns; ipconfig /renew; ipconfig /registerdns
- Restart your machine and check if the error was fixed
Fix 3. Clear your browsing cookies
Clearing browser cookies might be a good idea. Follow these guidelines:
- Enter Google Chrome browser and type in the following into the address bar: chrome://settings/clearBrowserData
- Pick Time range – All time and then select Cookies and other data (remove all the other ticks)
- Click Clear data
Fix 4. Disable Chrome's prediction service
The prediction service is used to speed up your browsing by saving the web page you are visiting. This feature is indeed useful for fast loading of pages; however, it can take a lot of system resources and sometimes cause the ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED error. Disable this element by following these steps:
- Go to your Google Chrome browser and click the three dots on the top-right corner of your browser
- Select Settings and click Advanced
- Enter Privacy and security
- From the list, find Use a prediction service to load pages quickly and disable the feature
- Restart your browser
Fix 5. Reboot your Router
This a very primitive, yet quite effective fix. Unplug your router or modem from the power socket and wait a few minutes. Plug it back in and check if the ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED error is gone.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: