Issue: How to fix error code 0x80070424?
I had my Windows 10 PC for a while, and recently I have encountered an 0x80070424 error that prevents me from installing the newest system updates. I thought this might go away after a while (it has been happening for the past couple of months), but it just doesn't go away. Any advice you could give regarding this, please?
Since Windows update errors are relatively common, Microsoft uses a variety of error codes in order to identify each of them. 0x80070424 is yet another issue that users can encounter while attempting to update their systems or managing other components, such as Windows Defender or Firewall. Regardless of which case you are dealing with, we are here to help you with the fix.
While some people might think that it is not a big deal, missing Windows updates can cause a lot of problems. Not only would they lack the newest features and bug fixes, but they also would miss the security patches that prevent system vulnerabilities from being exploited.
The error that most users encounter reads as follows:
There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80070424)
The message indicates that the updates will be installed next time, although this attempt rarely succeeds. Unfortunately, the message does not provide information on why the issue occurs or how to fix it.
Even though most Windows update errors can be related to different problems (such as system file corruption or missing Windows update packets), this particular error indicates that update-related services are either disabled, corrupt or missing.
Services are mandatory Windows components without a user interface (UI) that usually run in the background. Without them, many operations, such as event logging, updating, or printing, would be impossible.
In order to fix the 0x80070424 error, follow the guide we provide below. If the problem is caused by missing registry entries, we highly recommend you first try running a scan with RestoroMac Washing Machine X9, which is likely to resolve your problem automatically.
Solution 1. Run Windows update troubleshooter
If you ever have problems with Windows updates, you should always start from a troubleshooter. This built-in component can identify and fix broken features for you. It is not a solution for everybody, but running is beneficial:
- Type Troubleshoot in Windows search and press Enter
- If you can't see troubleshooters, click the Additional troubleshooters option on the right
- Here, find Windows update section
- Click Run the troubleshooter and wait till the process is finished.
Solution 2. (Re)Start all the relevant services
There are two main services that handle Windows update procedure – Background Intelligent Transfer Service and Windows Update Service. Thus, you need to check whether they are running. If so – restart them. Here are the instructions:
- Type Services in Windows search and hit Enter
- In the new Windows, scroll down till you find Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
- If the service is running, right-click and select Restart
- If not, right-click and select Start
- Do the same with Windows Update service.
Note: if these services are not set to run automatically, double-click the service, select Automatic under the Startup type, then click Apply and OK.
Solution 3. Re-register DLL files
- Press Win + R
- Enter the following and hit Enter:
regsvr32 Qmgr.dll /s
- Open the Run dialog again and run the following command:
regsvr32 Qmgrprxy.dll /s
Solution 4. Copy the missing .reg file from another computer
For this fix to work, you would have to find another Windows 10 machine of the same version (Home/Pro/Enterprise). If you have access to such a machine, do the following:
- Access another computer
- Type regedit in Windows search and press Enter
- If User Account Control shows up, click Yes
- Navigate to the following location:
- Right-click on the branch and select Export
- Choose the location, name the file trustedinstaller and click Save
- Transfer the file to your computer
- Once the file is on your desktop, double-click the trustedinstaller.reg to merge it with your own registry
- Restart the PC and try updating Windows again.
Solution 5. Perform a repair install of Windows 10
If none of the above helps, you can repair your Windows installation without losing files or installed apps. Here's how to do it:
- Go to the official Microsoft website and download installation files (press Download tool now)
- Once downloaded, double-click the setup.exe
- Accept License and Terms, select Upgrade this PC now, and click Next
- After the necessary files are downloaded, choose Keep personal files and apps
- Click Install (make sure that all apps are closed and not running before doing this)
- Your PC will restart and installation finished.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.
- ^ Software bug. Wikipedia. The free encyclopedia.
- ^ User Interface. TechTerms. The Computer Dictionary.
- ^ Tim Fisher. What Is the Windows Registry?. Lifewire. Tech News, Reviews, Help & How-Tos.