Issue: How to Fix Error Code 0x80070424?
Please help. My Windows Firewall delivers such a message: “Windows Firewall can’t change some of your settings. Error Code 0x80070424.” Why does this message show up? What that error means???
Don’t worry. The emergence of the Error Code 0x80070424 pop-up message is not that serious as you may think at first. This alarming-looking error indicates the fact that you have recently installed a freeware/shareware and inadvertently agreed to install third-party add-ons along with it. Software ‘bundling’ is a common issue these days, so it’s significant to install free software using Advanced or Custom installation option
Error Code 0x80070424 is a fake alert or tech support scam. To put it simply, this pop-up window is generated by an adware that is also known as PUP (potentially unwanted program). The message says that the service/program you are trying to launch can’t respond. In most of the cases, it includes a telephone number ((0808) 273 5268) as well and people are urged to call for it in order to receive technical support.
Error Code 0x80070424 is very tricky. Firstly, they seem very professional, i.e. design, text, graphics, etc. Secondly, these fake alerts appear in such a way as to trick users into thinking that something really went wrong with their computers. It doesn’t matter how convincing 0x80070424 error might seem, calling the given support number is useless. At best, you might run into sellers who may try to pall off useless third-party software for a considerable amount of money. At worse, calling the number may cost you a lot as the number may be highly charged, which is why you may receive an increased telephone bill.
In a nutshell, although this irritating error is not malicious on its own, its presence disrupts web browsing, indicate a PUP to be hiding in your machine, and may lead to further PC-related issues. Thus, it’s advisable to fix Error Code 0x80070424 without a delay. Luckily, you can do that easily and fast by using Reimage. This malware removal and PC optimization software is a trustworthy tool that will fix your PC completely. In case you would like to remove Error Code 0x80070424 manually, we provide removal guidelines.
How to fix Error Code 0x80070424?
Beware that you will not fix Error Code 0x80070424 as long as the adware that causes it hides in the system. Therefore, make sure that you perform all these steps:
Instructions for PC users:
- Go to Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features. (Windows 7 or Vista)
- Go to Start → Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP)
- Right-click in the lower-left corner of the screen and wait until Quick Access Menu appears. Then go to Control Panel → Uninstall a Program. (Windows 8/10)
- Look through a list of programs that are installed on your computer and find the ones that look suspicious to you.
- Uninstall these programs and click OK.
- Find Mozilla Firefox shortcut on your computer, right-click on it and open its Properties.
- Open Shortcut tab, and find Target Field. You should see a suspicious URL in it – delete it, and click OK.
- Repeat 6-7 steps with Google Chrome and Internet Explorer shortcuts, too.
Instructions for Mac users:
- Click Go → Applications.
- Find all questionable programs, right-click on them and move them to Trash.
- Now, you need to clean each web browser from Error Code 0x80070424 virus components.
- Launch Mozilla Firefox, open its menu (click on three bars in the top right corner of the window), and then go to Add-ons → Extensions.
- In the Extensions panel, look for suspicious browser extensions that you do not remember installing. Click Remove next to extensions that you do not want to keep.
- Now, check if your homepage wasn’t changed by this computer parasite. Open Mozilla Firefox menu once again, and go to Options → General.
- In the Startup section, click Restore to Default, or just enter another Home Page URL and click OK.
- Reset your browser. Again, open Firefox menu, go to Troubleshooting Information and then click Reset Firefox.
- When a pop-up message asking to confirm your choice appears, click Reset Firefox again.
- Launch IE browser, and then open its menu by clicking on the Gear icon, which is at the top right corner of the browser. Then go to Manage Add-ons.
- When the Manage Add-ons window appears, look through all questionable browser extensions and disable them. For that, right-click each of them and then select Disable.
- Open menu once again and go to Internet Options. In General tab, replace the Homepage address with a URL of your choice. Then hit Apply to save.
- Reset IE. Open its menu, go to Internet Options → Advanced. Click Reset.
- When the Reset Internet Explorer Settings window shows up, put a tick next to option Delete personal settings and hit Reset again.
- Launch Google Chrome, click on three-bar button at the top right corner (Menu button) and go to Tools → Extensions.
- Look for suspicious browser extensions and eliminate them by clicking on Trash icons next to them.
- Open menu again, then go to Settings. Find On startup part, and click Set pages next to Open a specific page or a set of pages option.
- Remove suspicious websites by clicking on X next to them, and then enter a URL of the site that you would like to set as your homepage.
- Then go to Menu → Settings → Manage Search engines.
- When Search engine window shows up, remove all suspicious entries and leave only the search engine that you would like to use on a daily basis.
- Reset Google Chrome. Go to Menu → Settings, then click on Reset Browser Settings button at the bottom of the page.
- Once Reset browser settings window appears, click Reset to confirm your choice.
- Launch Safari, and then find and click Safari in the menu bar at the top of the screen. Then go to Preferences.
- Go to Extensions tab and look for suspicious entries. Uninstall each of them.
- Then go to General tab and check what URL is entered into Homepage box. If you see a suspicious link, remove it and replace it with a website that you want to set as a homepage. Remember that you must type in http:// before entering a preferred URL.
- Reset Safari. Click Safari, and click on Reset Safari… option.
- When Reset Safari pop-up appears, check all checkboxes and click Reset.
Error Code 0x80070424 fix is not a difficult task as you see. If you have removed the relevant adware and cleaned web browser successfully, then we are pretty sure that you will never encouter this fake message anymore. If, however, the removal failed for you, you should install Reimage and let it do the job.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: