Issue: How to fix “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” error?
Could you please tell me what could have happened to my PC as it stopped receiving the Internet using the Ethernet connection. Everything goes OK if I use WiFi, but once I try to switch to Ethernet, none of the websites is loaded. Troubleshooter says “Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration.” Thanks in advance.
“Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration” is an error that is delivered by Windows Connection Troubleshooter. In this case, Windows users try to troubleshoot connection problems as the Ethernet connection stops working for some obscure reason. While the system still obtains the connection via WiFi adapter, switching to Ethernet causes a complete loss of Internet connection.
The culprit of the “Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration” error is directly related to Network Interface Card (NIC). NIC is connected to the router or mode via the Ethernet cable and serves as a medium for intercommunication. Thus, in case of the failure, NIC stops communicating with the router and transmitting a valid IP address.
The problem may stem from the faulty router, incorrect IP address assignment or NIC crash. In any way, the problem results in the transmission of invalid IP address, which is crucial for the smooth communication with the router and further operations on the web. Luckily, there's a couple of useful methods that helped most of the people to fix “Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration” Internet connection error successfully.
Method 1. Disable Fast Startup
If you cannot use Ethernet connection all of a sudden because it's interrupted by the “Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration” error, the top pick solution is to disable Fast Startup, which is one of the Windows features reducing boot and startup time. To disable it, you have to:
- Right-click on Windows key and select Power Options.
- Select Power & Sleep on the left and scroll down until you see Additional Power Settings link.
- Click on the Additional Power Settings.
- Now click on the Choose what the power buttons do link in the left pane.
- Select Change settings that are currently unavailable link.
- Now remove check marks next to Turn on fast startup (recommended).
- Once you turn off Fast Startup, click Save changes and close the currently viewed window.
- Reboot the system and check if the problem was resolved.
Method 2. Re-configure Internet Properties manually
The router is set to assign the IP address automatically by default. However, people are not restricted from changing this option. While some users might have initiated the changes of router's settings intentionally, the others might have done that accidentally, which is why they can't relate the “Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration” error to any important system's changes. To check whether your router is set to assign the IP address automatically, you should perform these simple steps:
- Press Windows key + R, type ncpa.cpl , and press Enter.
- Once in the Network Connection, right-click on Network Adapter.
- Select Properties. Now Ethernet Properties window should occur.
- Select the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties at the bottom of the window.
- Once on the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties, select Obtain an IP Address Automatically and Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically options.
- Once done, restart the router. Power it off, including modem if you are using both.
- Leave the router (and modem) disconnected for at least five minutes and then turn it/them on.
- Finally, wait a couple of minutes for the router to be configured and then check if Ethernet connection stopped showing the “Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration” error.
Method 3. Update/reinstall Network Adapter
If you can successfully connect to the Internet via WiFi, one of the possible “Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration” fixes is to update or reinstall Network Adapters. For this purpose, you should:
- Right-click on Windows key and select Device Manager.
- Alternatively, you can press Windows key + R, type hdwwiz.cpl, and hit Enter.
- Expand Network Adapters section and right-click on your network card and select Update driver.
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software and wait for the update to be installed.
If that did not help, you might need to reinstall the network card.
- You should repeat the steps provided above to access Network Adapters.
- Once there, right-click on your network card and select Uninstall.
- Upon successful driver removal, click Action tab at the top of Device Manager.
- Select Scan for hardware changes. The system should automatically detect the missing driver and download its latest version. In case it failed to do that, navigate to the manufacturer's website of the driver and download the newest version compatible with your system (32-bit or 64-bit).
Method 4. Reset TCP/IP4
- Open Network and Sharing Center.
- Select Change adapter settings.
- Locate for your Network Connection provider in Local Area Connection or Wireless Connection and select Properties by right-clicking on the icon.
- In the newly opened window, opt for the Internet Protocol (4 TCP/IPv4) and click Properties.
- In the new window, mark the Use the following DNS server addresses option.
- Then, type in 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168.
- After you are done with these steps, click OK and close the remaining windows.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services like Netflix, BBC, Disney+ and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless where you are
Recover your lost files quickly
Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is a recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of important documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.