Issue: How to fix “Hard drive not detected” on Windows 10?
Please help! I upgraded to Windows 10 recently, and the process was fairly smooth, but right now Windows doesn't recognize my second hard drive. It is recognized in BIOS but not in Disk Management. I had no issues before what is the problem and can I solve it? Thank you a lot!
The hard drive not detected error is an issue that has been bothering mostly Windows 10 OS users for some time now. Some people are convinced that this problem is related to the recent Windows 10 updates that have been causing issues with drivers and other system components.
However, the hard drive not detected error can occur at any time anywhere and might not be always related to Windows 10 updates. If you ever run into this problem, the bug will display one of two particular informative messages. It can look like this:
“We couldn't find any drives. To get a storage driver, click Load driver.”
Or you can be provided with this type of text:
“No drives were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation.”
This time, the upgrade might have caused a hard drive problem which somehow cannot be detected by the system but it does not have to refer exactly to the Windows 10 upgrading activity. After all, some good news is that it doesn’t mean that the missing drive on the Windows machine has been lost permanently along with the data stored on it.
In most of the cases, the particular Windows Anniversary Update bug regarding Hard drive not detected error occurs on PCs that have several different drives installed on the same system, e.g. PATA, SATA, SDD, M.2, etc. This problem emerges because the Windows system skips the secondary drive during the upgrade which is why it disappears from the list.
To put it simply, the issue with not found hard drive can be fixed by bringing back to the surface the hidden hard drive and re-enabling it. It’s not difficult to perform this task on Windows 10, even if you are not considering yourself an IT specialist or advanced computer user. To fix the hard drive not found error, we’ve prepared a few solutions down below.
How to fix “Hard drive not detected” on Windows 10?
The main reason Windows 10 displays error “Hard drive not detected” or doesn't show the HDD with Disk Management is the OS updates. However, there is always a possibility of intruders or corrupted software, files. These issues are not easily detectable, so you need to scan your device before attempting any manual fix. Our suggestion would be to download and install a tool such as Reimage.
Having in mind how many bugs related to Windows 10 update have caused issues to users these days, software that is capable of detecting and fixing drivers and similar components automatically would be a great solution. If you have never tried a PC repair software before, then you have to know that these programs are designed to clean up registries, fix startup problems, take care of the updates, protect from malware, and so on. Next, go thru the following steps:
Step 1. Fix Hard drive not showing in Windows issue by using Disk Management
The main thing that you have to do in order to get rid of the “Hard drive not detected” error is to re-enable the missing hard disk using Disk Management. Complete each step exactly as shown in the instructions in order to achieve the best results possible:
- Right-click the Windows key at the left bottom corner and select Disk Management.
- Now, you should see the list of drives that are connected to your PC/laptop. Pick the one that cannot be detected by your machine. It should be indicated as Unallocated partition.
- Right-click on it and select Change drive letter and paths.
- Click on Add to open the Add Drive Letter or Path window.
- Choose Assign the following drive letter and click the letter to name your drive.
- Finally, click OK and close all active windows.
- Reboot your PC and navigate to This PC section. Check if the drive has been added to the list.
Step 2. Reconnecting the external hard drive to get Windows 10 recognize the main drive
You can fix the hard drive not detected on Windows 10 issue by uninstalling and reconnecting the external hard drive:
- Go to the Start menu and select Device Manager.
- Double-click to expand Disk Drives.
- Right-click on each of them and select Uninstall.
- Reboot the computer after the uninstalling is finished and plug in the hard drive again
Step 3. Checking the status of the hard drive
- Press the Windows Key and R on your keyboard at the same time.
- Then type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
- Expand Disk Drive and right-click on the drive.
- Go to Properties and check the status.
Step 4. Update the driver and fix the hard drive not detected error
- Go to Device Manager.
- Expand Disk drives, find the second disk drive and right-click Update driver software.
- Follow the provided instructions.
Step 5. Updating Windows to a new bug-free version
If a “broken” Windows version has been somehow installed on your computer system, you can opt for all new updates that are in the pending items' list. Take a look at these steps for a clearer view of the process:
- Locate to Windows updates and check if there are any pending.
- Install updates and check if the issue is still occurring.
Step 6. Reinstalling USB controllers to make the second hard drive recognized
- Locate to Device Manager.
- Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
- Right-click on each of the drives and choose Uninstall.
- Reboot the computer and USB controllers will install automatically.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services like Netflix, BBC, Disney+ and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless where you are
Recover your lost files quickly
Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is a recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of important documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.