Issue: How to fix “Hard drive not detected” on Windows 10?
Please help! I upgraded to Windows 10 recently, and the process was fairly smooth, but right now Windows doesn't recognize my second hard drive. It is recognized in BIOS but not in Disk Management. I had no issues before what is the problem and can I solve it? Thank you a lot!
The hard drive not detected error is the issue that has been bothering Windows 10 OS users for some time now. Some part of users are convinced that this problem is related to the recent Windows 10 updates that have been causing issues with drivers and other system components.
This time, the upgrade caused a hard drive problem which somehow cannot be detected by the system. In other words, after upgrading Windows 10, you may find out that you can't detect either the primary or the secondary hard drive. Luckily, it doesn’t mean that the missing drive on the Windows has been lost permanently along with the data stored on it.
In most of the cases, the particular Windows Anniversary Update bug regarding Hard drive not detected error occurs on PCs that have several different drives installed on the same system, e.g. PATA, SATA, SDD, M.2, etc. This problem emerges because the Windows system skips the secondary drive during the upgrade which is why it disappears from the list.
To put it simply, the issue with not found hard drive can be fixed by unhiding hidden hard drive re-enabling it. It’s not difficult to perform this task on Windows 10, even if you are not considering yourself an IT specialist. To fix hard drive not found error, we’ve prepared a few solutions down below.
Methods to fix hard drive not detected after Windows 10 Anniversary Update
The main reason Windows 10 displays error “Hard drive not detected” or doesn't show the HDD with Disk Management is the OS updates. However, there is always a possibility of intruders or corrupted software, files. These issues are not easily detectable, so you need to scan your device before attempting any manual fix.
Having in mind how many bugs related to Windows 10 update have caused issues to users these days, software that is capable of detecting and fixing drivers and similar components automatically would be a great solution. If you have never tried a PC repair software before, then you have to know that these programs are designed to clean up registries, fix startup problems, take care of the updates, protect from malware, and so on. Next, go thru the following steps:
Fix Hard drive not showing in Windows issue by using Disk Management
The thing that you have to do is to re-enable the missing hard disk using Disk Management.
- Right-Click Windows key at the bottom left corner and select Disk Management.
- Now you should see the list of drives that are connected to your PC/laptop. Pick out the one that is not being detected by the system. It should be indicated as the Unallocated partition.
- Right-click on it and select Change drive letter and paths.
- Click on Add to open Add Drive Letter or Path window.
- Choose Assign the following drive letter and click the letter that to name your drive.
- Finally, click OK and close all windows.
- Reboot your PC and navigate to This PC. Check if the drive has been added to the list.
Reconnecting the external hard drive to get Windows 10 recognize the had drive
You can fix the issue with not detected hard drive by uninstalling and then reconnecting the external hard drive:
- Go to Start menu and select Device Manager.
- Double-click to expand Disk Drives.
- Right-click on each of them and select Uninstall.
- Reboot the computer after uninstalls and plug in the hard drive again
Checking the status of the hard drive
- Press Windows Key and R at the same time.
- Then type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
- Expand Disk Drive and right-click on the drive.
- Go to Properties and check the status.
Update the driver and fix hard drive not detected issue
- Go to Device Manager.
- Expand Disk drives, find the second disk drive and right-click to Update driver software.
- Follow the instructions of the updates.
Updating Windows to a new bug-free version
- Locate to Windows updates and check if there are any pending.
- Install updates and check if the issue is still occurring.
Reinstalling USB controllers to make the second hard drive recognized
- Locate to Device Manager.
- Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers
- Right-click on each of the drives and choose Uninstall.
- Reboot the computer and USB controllers will install automatically.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: