Issue: How to fix Microsoft 365 activation error "Trusted Platform Module has malfunctioned"?
My Microsoft Office keeps prompting me to enter my password whenever I attempt to use my Office 365 account. When I do, I receive an error “Your computer's Trusted Platform Module has malfunctioned. If this error persists, contact your system administrator with the error code 80090030.” How do I fix this?
If you are a Microsoft 365 user and experiencing an activation error, such as “Trusted Platform Module has malfunctioned,” you are not alone. This error can occur on both Windows 10 and 11, preventing users from accessing Microsoft 365 applications, such as Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel. It can also be shown with specific error codes, e.g., 80090016, 80090030, 80284001, and others.
The Trusted Platform Module, or TPM, is a security chip that stores sensitive information like passwords, certificates, or encryption keys. The TPM also ensures that your system's bootloader is not tampered with, protecting it from malware.
If you're encountering the “Trusted Platform Module has malfunctioned” error, the first solution is to clear the TPM keys on your computer. This process can be done easily by accessing the Settings application in Windows. If clearing the TPM keys doesn't resolve the issue, you may need to disable specific Windows components.
It's worth noting that the recent Microsoft PC Health Check app may be causing this error. The app checks whether your PC is compatible with Windows 11 and may trigger it during the process.
In addition to the above solutions, resetting Microsoft 365 activation state, or deleting TokenBroker data, may also fix the issue. Among other solutions, you will also find how to re-connect to Microsoft Azure and enable Memory Integrity.
If you want to fix the “Trusted Platform Module has malfunctioned” error in Windows, you can likely solve it by following the manual instructions below. If you would like to attempt resolving the issue automatically, you can employ a comprehensive PC repair utility RestoroMac Washing Machine X9.
Fix 1. Prepare the TPM
- Press Win + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog.
- Here, type tpm.msc, and press Enter or click OK.
- On the right side of the window, click Prepare the TPM…
- Follow on-screen prompts to finalize the process and restart your system once done.
Fix 2. Clear the TPM
- Open System Tray and click Windows security.
- Go to the Device Security section.
- Pick Security processor details and then select Security processor troubleshooting.
- Here, click Clear TPM.
- In the confirmation prompt, click Clear and restart.
Fix 3. Reset Microsoft 365 activation state
- Open your browser and navigate to the official Microsoft download page for Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant.
- Open the file and click Install when prompted.
- Select Office and click Next.
- Pick the apps you are having problems with, if applicable.
- When prompted, pick the I've installed subscription version of Office, but I can't activate it.
- Finally, click Restart your reboot your PC.
Fix 4. Clear Office credentials
- Type Credential Manager in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select Windows Credentials on the right.
- Look at the Generic Credentials section.
- Find the apps to which you are having problems logging in, click them, and select Remove.
- When the confirmation prompt shows up, click Yes.
- Restart your PC.
Fix 5. Delete TokenBroker data
The AAD token broker plugin file, BrokerPlugin.exe, enables accessing virtualized applications from different devices. However, the file's data may become corrupted, resulting in activation errors when using Microsoft 365. To resolve this issue, you can delete the corrupted Broker plugin data and reinstall it.
- Press Win + E to open File Explorer.
- At the top, go to the View tab and mark the Hidden items checkbox.
- Next, navigate to the following locations and delete all contents there:
- Restart your system and use Support and Recovery Assistant to activate Microsoft 365.
Fix 6. Enable Memory Integrity
- Open Windows Security once again.
- Go to Device Security and scroll down to the Core isolation section.
- Click Core isolation details.
- Under Memory integrity, make sure the switch is set to the ON position.
Fix 7. Reconnect to Azure Active Directory
To enable key attestation support, Azure AD necessitates the use of a TPM with HMAC and EK certificates. If you experience activation errors due to TPM malfunction, you can try fixing the issue by disconnecting from and then reconnecting to Azure AD.
- Click Start and pick Settings.
- Navigate to Accounts > Access work or school.
- Select the Azure AD connection.
- Click Disconnect and restart your PC.
- Navigate to the Access work or school page again.
- Select Join this device to Azure Active Directory.
- Enter your account credentials and select Let my organization manage my device.
- Restart your device once done, and try activating Office 365.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Access geo-restricted video content with a VPN
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
Don’t pay ransomware authors – use alternative data recovery options
Malware attacks, particularly ransomware, are by far the biggest danger to your pictures, videos, work, or school files. Since cybercriminals use a robust encryption algorithm to lock data, it can no longer be used until a ransom in bitcoin is paid. Instead of paying hackers, you should first try to use alternative recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data. Otherwise, you could also lose your money, along with the files. One of the best tools that could restore at least some of the encrypted files – Data Recovery Pro.