Issue: How to Fix Microsoft Edge Saving Downloaded Files in .txt Format Issue on Windows?
I have a really annoying issue. Microsoft Edge browser saves downloaded files as .txt files. Reloaded the browser, restarted the computer. Nothing worked. Should I go for System Restore? I hope this issue does not require reinstalling Windows…
Microsoft Edge Saving Downloaded Files in .txt format might be the result of a missing counters2.dat file. There is also a possibility that the very browser might contain errors. Some users also discovered that the issue might be related with certain Windows user accounts.
Fortunately, there are several solutions for this program. You can perform System Restore and then reinstall the browser. However, the former option might take some time. It solves the issue but you should try other workarounds.
In addition, Microsoft Edge error to save downloaded files in .txt format might be the result of incorrectly installed Windows update. Make sure that all latest updates are installed properly. If necessary, reinstall them. You can do so directly from your PC settings or from Windows Update Catalog.
Option 1. Create a new Windows user profile
If you noticed the issue only on a certain user profile, follow these steps:
- Launch Microsoft Management Console. Click on Start and type mmc in open space or in the search bar (on Windows 7) into the search box. Press Enter. Enter administrator password, if required.
- In the left pane, opt for Local Users and Groups.
If you don't see Local Users and Groups, it's probably because that snap-in hasn't been added to Microsoft Management Console. Follow these steps to install it:
- In Microsoft Management Console, choose File menu, and opt for Add/Remove Snap-in.
- Select Local Users and Groups, and then Add.
- Choose Local computer, click Finish and OK.
- Click on Users folder.
- Select Action section, opt for New User.
- Type the required details in the dialog box, and the finish the action by clicking on Create.
- Once you are finished, select Close.
- Reboot the PC.
Here are the instructions for Windows 10 users:
- Click on Start button, go to Settings, Accounts, then Family & other people. Click on Add someone else to this PC.
- Enter the necessary information and follow the instructions.
In order to copy the existing files from the corrupted account, follow this guide:
- Log on to the corrupted account.
- Go to My Computer and then My Documents folder.
- Opt for the View tab, and then choose Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
- Remove the checkmark from Hide protected operating system files check box. Click Yes and then OK.
- Find the C:\\Users\\Old_Username folder (where your user data is located).
- Mark all of the files and folders in this folder, except the following files:
Right-click on the marked files and choose Copy command. Find the C:\\Users\\New_Username folder. Right-click on a blank space and choose Paste function. Log off, and then log back to the newly created account.
Option 2. Rename the system file
Note that this is applicable only to selected users who have Old Timer TFC software. It meddles with Microsoft Edge files in Windows 10, so if you intend to upgrade, consider whether the latter software is necessary.
- Open File Explorer. Go to the following location (in order to get into Appdata folder, click on Windows key+R, type %AppData%) – C:\\Users\\AppData\\Local\\Microsoft\\Windows\\NetCache
- Find counters2.dat file. Right-click on it. Select Properties and rename the file format into a random one. This method is not verified and might workout only to some users.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services like Netflix, BBC, Disney+ and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless where you are
Recover your lost files quickly
Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is a recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of important documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.