Issue: How to fix missing AC Adapter driver in Windows?
So until recently, my laptop was working perfectly fine, but now, after the Windows update, it won't power up unless it is connected to the power source. The battery also doesn't seem to charge when the laptop is turned on. I went ahead and checked the Device Manager for problems and found out that the AC adapter driver is missing from the list entirely. How do I resolve this?
AC adapters are essential components in laptops, providing the necessary power to charge the device's battery. This functionality is crucial, especially for users who rely on their laptops in environments without direct power sources. Batteries, when efficiently charged, allow users the freedom to work remotely, ensuring productivity is not tied down to a fixed location. However, issues with AC adapters can severely impact the performance and reliability of a laptop's battery.
A common problem encountered by some Windows users is the disappearance of the AC adapter driver from their system's driver list. This issue often comes to light when users attempt to troubleshoot battery-related problems.
For instance, individuals have reported scenarios where their laptop refuses to charge unless it is shut down, or it fails to power on without being connected to an AC power source. While this problem can emerge suddenly, a significant number of users have noticed that it often follows a Windows update.
The root cause of the missing AC adapter driver can vary. It might be due to a general bug within the system, a faulty Windows update, or other related software issues. To address this, you might consider several approaches, including scanning your hardware for changes that can sometimes rectify the problem by prompting Windows to recognize missing drivers.
Running the built-in power troubleshooter provided by Windows can also be helpful, as it can automatically identify and suggest fixes for power-related issues. Additionally, repairing corrupted system files or uninstalling recent Windows updates could potentially restore the functionality of the AC adapter driver.
In situations where these steps do not yield results, or if you prefer a more straightforward approach, utilizing a specialized PC repair tool FortectMac Washing Machine X9 can be advantageous. These tools are designed to diagnose and resolve underlying Windows issues automatically, potentially saving time and effort in troubleshooting complex software problems.
Fix 1. Install Windows updates
Windows updates often include patches for various bugs and improvements for system stability. Updating Windows can resolve issues caused by outdated or malfunctioning drivers, including the AC adapter driver.
- In Windows search, type Updates and click Enter.
- Click on Check for updates.
- If updates are available, click Install now and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Make sure you install all optional updates as well.
- After the updates are installed, restart your system.
Fix 2. Run Power troubleshooter
The Power troubleshooter is a built-in tool in Windows that helps diagnose and fix power-related issues. It can resolve problems related to battery charging and power management.
- Type Troubleshoot in the Windows search bar and press Enter.
- Select Additional troubleshooters/Other troubleshooters.
- Find and click on Power, then select Run the troubleshooter/Run.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
Fix 3. Scan for hardware changes in the Device Manager
Scanning for hardware changes allows Windows to detect and install missing drivers, which might include the AC adapter driver.
- Right-click the Start button and select Device Manager.
- In the Device Manager, click on Scan for hardware changes button.
- Wait for the process to complete and check if the AC adapter driver appears.
Fix 4. Install the driver using alternative methods
Sometimes, the standard methods for installing drivers through Windows Update or Device Manager might not work. In such cases, using alternative methods to manually install or update the AC adapter driver can be effective. These methods include downloading the driver from the manufacturer's website or using a third-party driver update tool.
- Visit the laptop manufacturer's website.
- Look for the support or download section on the website.
- Search for your laptop model.
- Find the drivers section and look for the AC adapter driver.
- Download the latest driver compatible with your Windows version.
- Run the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.
- Restart your laptop after the installation is complete.
- Download a reputable third-party driver update tool, such as DriverFix.
- Install and run the tool.
- Follow the tool's instructions to scan for outdated or missing drivers.
- If the tool identifies the AC adapter driver as missing or outdated, select the option to update or install it.
- Restart your laptop once the update is complete.
Fix 5. Run SFC and DISM scans
System File Checker (SFC) and Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) are tools that repair corrupted system files, which could be causing the AC adapter issue.
- Type in cmd in Windows search.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- In the User Account Control window, click Yes.
- In the Command Prompt window, paste the following command and hit Enter:
- Next, use the following commands, pressing Enter each time:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
(Note: if you get an error executing this last command, add /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess to it and try again).
- Reboot your computer.
Fix 6. Try System Restore
System Restore can revert your system's settings to a previous state where the AC adapter was functioning correctly.
- Type Create a restore point in the Windows search bar and open it.
- Click on System Restore.
- In the new window, click Next or Choose a different restore point.
- If available, mark the More restore points checkbox.
- Select the point in time when the issue did not exist and click Next.
- Finally, click Finish.
Fix 7. Uninstall the faulty Windows update
If the issue started after a specific Windows update, uninstalling it might resolve the problem.
- Type Control Panel in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select Programs > Uninstall a program.
- Click on View installed updates on the left side of the window.
- Sort all the updates by date.
- Right-click on the most recent update and select Uninstall.
- Proceed with on-screen instructions.
- Then, type Updates in Windows search and press Enter.
- Click Pause the updates for 7 days (in Windows 11, you can pick a different time period).
Fix 8. Use Media Creation Tool to repair Windows
The Media Creation Tool can be used to upgrade or reinstall Windows, which can fix deeper system issues including driver problems.
- Visit the official Microsoft website and download Windows 10 installation media (Windows 11 version).
- Double-click the installer, select Yes when UAC shows up, and agree to the terms.
- Select Upgrade this PC now and click Next.
- Windows will start downloading the needed files.
- Agree to the terms once again and click Next.
- Before installing, ensure you are happy with your choices (otherwise, you can click the Change what to keep option).
- Finally, click Install to begin the upgrade process.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Access geo-restricted video content with a VPN
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
Don’t pay ransomware authors – use alternative data recovery options
Malware attacks, particularly ransomware, are by far the biggest danger to your pictures, videos, work, or school files. Since cybercriminals use a robust encryption algorithm to lock data, it can no longer be used until a ransom in bitcoin is paid. Instead of paying hackers, you should first try to use alternative recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data. Otherwise, you could also lose your money, along with the files. One of the best tools that could restore at least some of the encrypted files – Data Recovery Pro.