Issue: How to fix ms-settings:personalization-background error?
Hello, I get an error when trying to open Windows Display Settings and I think this issue is related to the fact that I updated from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Everything runs okay, but right-clicking on the Desktop leads to ms-settings:personalization-background error. What can I do to fix it? Is there something that I did so this error now occurs?
This ms-settings:personalization-background error appears on the screen when Personalize or Display settings get selected after a right-click on the desktop, as users report. Unfortunately, the issue is most likely associated with Windows 10 updates because most of these user complains involve upgrading to Windows 10 from the earlier operating system.
The message of this error can differ and state about various Microsoft settings and issues regarding particular programs or actions. Generally, this Windows error appears while trying to open Display settings and personalize them. In most cases, the error occurs because Windows cannot access the program.
It might seem that you need to install a program that is creating an association with ms-settings:personalization-background error. However, this suggestion from the system itself is confusing because this is the process involving default programs that have never created such issues before.
The full ms-settings:personalization-background error pop-up can state the following:
This File does not have a Program Associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.
How to fix ms-settings:personalization-background error
It is unfortunate but the ms-settings:personalization-background error is caused by a bug in operating system updates. It also can display
ms-settings:notifications error besides the personalization-background error message. We cannot provide one solution for all these issues or say that you can use one tool or step and fix the error entirely. You should run a system scan with a tool like Reimage to ensure that malware is not involved, and then try to solve the problem with manual methods listed below or check for more recent Windows updates, restore the system to a previous working point.
Reset Windows Store cache
- Press the Windows button and R keys at the same time to open the Run box.
- The type WSReset.exe and press Enter.
- Close the window and try to launch the personalization settings.
Create a new Account to fix ms-settings:personalization-background error
- Open the command box and type control userpasswords2.
- Once the window opens, select the Add button and create the new account.
- Sign in without a Microsoft account.
- On the screen that opens choose Local account.
- When the main window appears, select Properties and click Group Membership tab.
- Select Administrator and press OK to exit.
- Try to launch Personalization or Display settings again.
Run DISM tool and System File Checker to fix ms-settings:personalization-background error
- Open Command Prompt and type SFC /SCANNOW.
- Reboot the machine when the scan finishes.
- Open CMD yet again and then type Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth
- When the system gets repaired with DISM tool, restart the device.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: