Issue: How to Fix .NET Framework Error 0x800736B3 on Windows 10?
I’ve recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. About a week after that I tried to run a game and got an error saying that I don’t have .NET Framework 3.5 installed. Then I tried to install the .NET Framework 3.5, but each time ends up with the error message saying: Reference assembly not installed in the system, error 0x800736B3. Have no ideas what should I do. Could you please help? Thanks!
.NET Framework is a software framework developed by Microsoft, which encompasses a class library known as Framework Class Library (FCL). It consists of thousands of pieces of shared code, which serve software developers so that they can use the code to perform some common functions.
Microsoft explains that:
.NET framework is a technology that supports building and running the next generation of applications and Web services.
Earlier Windows versions, including 7, 8, 8.1 and others did not have this technology pre-installed, so people had to install it manually if needed. Windows 10 OS come with .NET Framework 3.5 by default, but it sometimes happens that .NET software fails to install during the upgrade or update of the operating system.
Consequently, a PC’s owner receives an error code “Reference assembly not installed in the system. Error Code: 0x800736B3.” If you recently encountered this issue when, for example, trying to launch a game, you can try to perform .NET Framework Error 0x800736B3 fix as explained below.
Because .NET Framework 3.5 is required for most modern games to run or even start and is a standalone component, installing it anew should fix 0x800736B3 error. However, many users reported that they struggle with the installation of it, as it drops the same error. Therefore, please perform steps 1 to 3 if you are having problems with the installation of .NET Framework 3.5.
Method 1. Uninstall Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 updates
- Right-click on Windows key + I to open Settings app.
- Select Updates and Security and click Update history.
- At the top of the page, click on Uninstall updates and look through the list of installed updates.
- Find the latest cumulative update the installation of which triggered the error 0x800736B3.
- Right-click on it and select Uninstall.
NOTE: It’s not advisable to have an outdated operating system due to the risk of infections and various malfunctions. This method can be applied only as a temporary .NET Framework 3.5 error 0x800736B3.
Method 2. Use Group Policy Editor
- Press Windows key, type gpedit.msc, and press Enter.
- Once Group Policy Editor opens, navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System.
- Look for Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair option on the right pane.
- If it is set to Not Configured, double-click on it, set Enabled.
- After that, enable Contact Windows Update directly to download repair content instead of Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) and click OK.
Method 3. Use the inbox Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool
- Press Windows key and type Command Prompt or cmd into the search box.
- Select Command Prompt from search results, right click on it an pick Run as administrator.
- If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or press Allow.
- Copy and paste DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and press Enter.
- If the Windows Updates service that provides required files is corrupted, you should use a Windows installation media or use a Windows side-by-side folder from a network share as a repair source. Insert the media and run the following command to the Command Prompt window:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\\RepairSource\\Windows /LimitAccess
IMPORTANT: instead of C:\\RepairSource\\Windows type the location of your repair source.
- The type sfc /scannow and press Enter. Let the scan complete.
- Then close Command Prompt and run Windows Updates.
TIP: when you fix 0x800736B3 error, it’s advisable to run a thorough system scan with Reimage. Using an optimization tool is highly recommended to maintain Windows registry, system files, security, and other problematic cases the damage of which may lead to further errors.
Method 4. Reinstall .NET Framework 3.5 entirely
Once you completed Method 3, you should try to reinstalling .NET Framework and see if it fixed .NET Framework Error 0x800736B3:
- Go here to download the executable of .NET Framework 3.5
- Pick your language and click on Download
- Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the installation
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
A VPN is also crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that you are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speed.
Therefore, to stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will prevent the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can decide to reboot the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost.
Additionally, you might also be attacked by malware that can corrupt your Windows or encrypt files with a robust encryption algorithm, and ask for a ransom in Bitcoin for the decryption tool. Cybercriminals might not deliver what they promised, however, so it is better to attempt alternative file recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data.
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.