Issue: How to Fix .NET Framework Error 0x800736B3 on Windows 10?
I’ve recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. About a week after that I tried to run a game and got an error saying that I don’t have .NET Framework 3.5 installed. Then I tried to install the .NET Framework 3.5, but each time ends up with the error message saying: Reference assembly not installed in the system, error 0x800736B3. Have no ideas what should I do. Could you please help? Thanks!
.NET Framework is a software framework developed by Microsoft, which encompasses a class library known as Framework Class Library (FCL). It consists of thousands of pieces of shared code, which serve software developers so that they can use the code to perform some common functions. Microsoft explains .NET framework as a “technology that supports building and running the next generation of applications and Web services.” Earlier Windows versions, including 7, 8, 8.1 and others did not have this technology pre-installed, so people had to install it manually if needed. Windows 10 OS come with .NET Framework 3.5 by default, but it sometimes happens that .NET software fails to install during the upgrade or update of the operating system. Consequently, a PC’s owner receives an error code “Reference assembly not installed in the system. Error Code: 0x800736B3.” If you recently encountered an error 0x800736B3 when, for example, trying to launch a game, you can try to perform the following fixes:
How to Fix .NET Framework Error 0x800736B3 on Windows 10?
Method 1. Uninstall Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 updates
- Right-click on Windows key + I to open Settings app.
- Select Updates and Security and click Update history.
- At the top of the page, click on Uninstall updates and look through the list of installed updates.
- Find the latest cumulative update the installation of which triggered the error 0x800736B3.
- Right-click on it and select Uninstall.
NOTE: It’s not advisable to have an outdated operating system due to the risk of infections and various malfunctions. This method can be applied only as a temporary .NET Framework 3.5 error 0x800736B3.
Method 2. Use Group Policy Editor
- Press Windows key, type gpedit.msc, and press Enter.
- Once Group Policy Editor opens, navigate to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System.
- Look for Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair option on the right pane.
- If it is set to Not Configured, double-click on it, and set Enabled.
- After that, enable Contact Windows Update directly to download repair content instead of Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) and close everything.
- Once done, try to install .NET Framework 3.5.
Method 3. Use the inbox Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool
- Press Windows key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or press Allow.
- Copy and paste DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and press Enter.
- If the Windows Updates service that provides required files is corrupted, you should use a Windows installation media or use a Windows side-by-side folder from a network share as a repair source. Insert the media and run the following command to the Command Prompt window:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess
IMPORTANT: instead of C:\RepairSource\Windows type the location of your repair source.
- The type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
- Then close Command Prompt and run Windows Updates.
TIP: when you fix 0x800736B3 error, it’s advisable to run a thorough system scan with Reimage. Using an optimization tool is highly recommended to maintain Windows registry, system files, security, and other problematic cases the damage of which may lead to further errors.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
This patented repair process uses a database of 25 million components that can replace any damaged or missing file on user's computer.
To repair damaged system, you have to purchase the licensed version of Reimage malware removal tool.