Issue: How to fix NSc.exe Bad Image error in Windows?
Every time I load my computer, I receive an error NSc.exe – Bad Image. This is not going away for a while now, and I doubt it will on its own, so I'm seeking help with this…
Norton, developed by Symantec Corporation, is a well-known computer security software that serves to protect devices from various threats such as viruses, malware, and phishing attacks. With a comprehensive suite of protective utilities, including antivirus, anti-spyware, and firewall features, Norton has carved out a significant space for itself in the cybersecurity landscape. As much as it is essential to keep one's computer protected against potential threats, using such security software is almost a necessity in today's digitally interconnected world.
However, even the best protective tools can occasionally run into problems. Some users may encounter a specific issue known as the NSc.exe Bad – Image error when launching Norton on their Windows computers. The NSc.exe file is a part of Norton's software setup, responsible for numerous functions within the application. It plays a vital role in maintaining the software’s operability and interaction with the system.
The Bad Image error associated with NSc.exe is primarily due to a bug within the Norton software itself. This error may prevent the application from starting properly, causing inconvenience and potentially leaving your system vulnerable. Although the main reason behind this error tends to be a Norton bug, there may be other contributing factors. These could include system compatibility issues, other software conflicts, or Windows updates that may corrupt or damage the NSc.exe file.
Despite these complexities, it is crucial not to panic when such an error occurs. A number of solutions can address this problem, ranging from simple software updates to more comprehensive system checks and fixes. Detailed instructions on how to fix this issue and resume the smooth operation of your Norton security software will follow below. Remember, while software issues can be frustrating, they are usually fixable with the right knowledge and a little patience.
Fix 1. Install all Windows updates
Windows updates could also resolve issues with third-party applications, so it's important to install them:
- Type Updates in Windows search and hit Enter.
- Click on Check for Updates.
- If updates are available, install them (don't forget to install optional updates).
- Restart your device.
Fix 2. Update Norton
Many users said that they have managed to fix the NSc.exe Bad Image error by updating Norton to the latest version. This is because it has been several times identified by Norton experts that the issue lies within the software itself, hence they release hotfixes to remediate the situation.
- Open Norton Security's main window.
- Under Device Security, click LiveUpdate.
- Wait till the installation is finished and click OK.
- Reboot your system.
Fix 3. Run SFC and DISM
To ensure that system files aren't damaged, use commands via the elevated Command Prompt:
- Type cmd in Windows search.
- Right-click on the Command Prompt result and select Run as administrator.
- The User Account Control (UAC) window will ask whether you want to allow changes to your computer – click Yes.
- Next, copy and paste the following commands, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
(Note: if you get an error executing the last command, add /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess to it and try again.)
- Restart your system.
Fix 4. Use Media Creation Tool
In some cases, the issue might be a bit deeper, and usage of the Media Creation Tool might be required. It will update your system to the latest version and repair any damages that couldn't be fixed otherwise.
- Visit the official Microsoft website and download Windows 10 installation media (Windows 11 version).
- Double-click the installer, select Yes when UAC shows up, and agree to the terms.
- Select Upgrade this PC now and click Next.
- Windows will start downloading the needed files.
- Agree to the terms once again and click Next.
- Before installing, make sure that you are happy with your choices (otherwise, you can click Change what to keep option).
- Finally, click Install to begin the upgrade process.
Fix 5. Reinstall Norton
If updating didn't solve the problem, completely uninstalling and then reinstalling Norton can work. This is because some of the Norton files on your system, like NSc.exe, might be corrupt or not working as they should.
- Visit the official Norton website and download the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool.
- Run the tool on your system and follow the prompts – this will uninstall Norton.
- Restart your computer.
- Revisit the Norton website and download the latest version of the software.
- Install the downloaded software.
- Once installation is complete, restart your computer and check if the error has been resolved.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.