Issue: How to fix Roblox error "Failed to create directory" in Windows?
I am unable to start Roblox because of “Failed to create directory, error = 3.” I have been trying for several days but it keeps failing. Please advise on what to do.
Roblox stands as one of the most prevalent online games, renowned for its unique blend of player engagement and creative expression. Instead of being just a simple game, Roblox is more of a platform that offers a lot of interactivity and user-generated content, which more younger players tend to appreciate a lot, although there are plenty of adults who engage in this world.
As a result, Roblox has amassed more than 70 million daily active users, as well as over 214 million monthly users – numbers that are nothing but staggering. Particularly important is the compatibility with various platforms, including Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, and more.
Despite its popularity, Roblox players do not always avoid technical issues, and “Failed to create directory” is one of them. Whenever players attempt to launch the game, they receive an error which reads as follows:
An error occurred while starting Roblox. Details: Failed to create directory ‘C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Roblox\Downloads\roblox-player’, error=3″
“Failed to create directory” error can be present temporarily, which other players can't seem to get rid of, no matter how many times they try. There are several reasons why you might be facing this issue as well – it mainly means that something is preventing the game's startup process.
One of the more common reasons for the “Failed to create directory” error is related to insufficient permissions on Windows. Third-party security software might also block the startup of the game, so disabling it might help.
However, the solution that helped most people to fix “Failed to create directory” error in Roblox was rather unconventional. According to many users' accounts, they managed to bypass the error after adding a particular folder to the game-related folder location. We explain in more detail below.
Before proceeding, we recommend trying a powerful PC repair tool FortectMac Washing Machine X9 – it is designed to fix various Windows issues automatically, potentially remediating most of the common errors, crashes, and other problems on a PC.
Fix 1. Run Windows Store Apps troubleshooter
This solution involves utilizing a built-in Windows tool designed to identify and resolve issues with Windows Store apps, including Roblox. To use it, follow these steps:
- Type in Troubleshoot in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select Additional Troubleshooters/Other troubleshooters.
- Pick Windows Store Apps from the list and click Run the troubleshooter/Run.
- Wait till the scan is finished, and then apply the recommended fixes.
- Restart your system.
Fix 2. Run Roblox as administrator
Running Roblox with administrator privileges can resolve issues related to insufficient user permissions, which might be causing the “Failed to create directory” error.
- Right-click on the Roblox shortcut or executable file.
- Choose Properties from the context menu.
- Go to the Compatibility tab.
- Check the box next to Run this program as an administrator.
- Click Apply, then OK.
- Launch Roblox again to see if the issue is resolved.
Fix 3. Create a Downloads folder in AppData directory
This fix involves manually creating a folder in the AppData directory, which Roblox may be unable to generate automatically due to various reasons, such as permissions issues.
- In Windows search, type %localappdata% and press Enter.
- Double-click the Roblox folder to access it.
- Right-click in the folder and select New > Folder.
- Name the new folder Downloads.
- Close down File Explorer and try launching the game again.
Fix 4. Reinstall Roblox
If none of the above solutions helped, reinstalling the game should be able to solve the issue. Make sure you delete AppData files, as explained below:
- Right-click on Start and pick Apps and Features.
- Scroll down to find Roblox from the list.
- Click Uninstall and then confirm with Uninstall.
- Follow the prompts to remove the app.
- Next, press Win + E on your keyboard to open File Explorer.
- Navigate to the following location (make sure Hidden files are visible):
- Access the Roblox folder, press Ctrl + A to mark everything, and then Shift + Del to delete it all.
- Restart your computer.
- Launch the Microsoft Store and install the game again.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.