Issue: How to Fix “Service Registration Is Missing or Corrupt” Error on Windows 10?
Windows Update says that there are no more updates needed, but I’ve updated my system a couple of months only. So, I downloaded and ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter, which reported an error “Windows Update: Service Registration Is Missing or Corrupt.” The troubleshooter did not fix it, so I guess I should do something to fix it. Could you please help?
Outdated operating system is more vulnerable to virus infections and encounter errors/fatal crashes more frequently. That’s a fact. Each OS has its own way of updating, but most of them receive the latest updates automatically. So does the Windows 10 OS too. While earlier versions did not have the automatic updating feature, the latest version does have it. It’s known as Windows Update and can be found under Windows Settings.
Unfortunately, Windows Update service or rather Windows Update Troubleshooter may fail with an error “Service Registration Is Missing or Corrupt.” Actually, Windows Update service stop working quite frequently and you can find tens of articles Windows Update errors in our blog. The worst part is that when Windows Update stops downloading/installing updates, the OS is left out-of-date. If the user does nothing to solve the problem, he/she risks getting malware infection or experience fatal system’s crashes like BSOD, Stop errors, and so on.
Windows Update “Service Registration Is Missing or Corrupt” error may occur due to a variety of issues, including damaged registry entries, incompatible software, stopped Windows Update services, and so on. While experts claim that the Windows Update Troubleshooter (an in-built tool) can fix this error, people reported that the troubleshooter returns this error and cannot remove it. Therefore, you may need to fix “Service Registration Is Missing or Corrupt” manually by following the steps given below.
Instructions on How to Fix “Windows Update: Service Registration Is Missing or Corrupt” Error on Windows 10
- To start with, create a backup of the Registry. For this purpose, press Windows key + R, type regedit, and hit Enter.
- Now click File at the top-left corner of the window and select Export.
- Select the location where you want to save the backup.
- Enter the name for the backup in the File Name field and click Save.
- Now you’ll have to remove the value ThresholdOptedIn. Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\WindowsSelfHost\\Applicability.
- Find the ThresholdOptedIn value on the right pane. If it’s there, click it, and remove.
- Now close Registry Editor.
- Right-click on Windows key and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Copy and paste the following commands in the Command Prompt windows:net stop
net stop wuauserv
net stop msiserver
net stop bits
ren C:\\Windows\\System32\\catroot2 catroot2.old
ren C:\\Windows\\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
net start cryptSvc
net start wuauserv
net start msiserver
net start bits
net stop cryptSvc
- Close Command Prompt and reboot the system.
- After that, try to Check for Updates.
If these steps did not help to fix Windows Update error “Service Registration Is Missing or Corrupt,” let us know and we’ll try to figure out what other fixes can be applied for this issue.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: