Issue: How to fix "Task Host is stopping background tasks" error after Windows update?
I updated Windows 10 on my PC, and the error alert comes up repeatedly. The task host window is stopping the background tasks is the message. I need some help here because I don't known if this is really linked to the upgrade and am afraid I might cause additional issues if I try to fix this myself. Help!
“Task Host is stopping background tasks” error after Windows update is the issue that users have been reporting in online forums. The problem is appearing on shutdown, and the error is keeping the machine from the proper shutdown. This is the problem related to the taskhost.exe file, which is the generic host process for Windows 10.
The software needs to be closed one at a time when you turn off the machine. However, sometimes these programs may hang up, and users are unable to shut down the machine. The particular process can interrupt the procedure because it checks of all the running programs were closed to avoid any corruption or data loss.
Generally, this is the main job of the Task Host process – to interrupt the shutdown to check for the issues regarding these applications that need to be closed. “Task Host is stopping background tasks” error after Windows update appears when some Word files or other processes that use DLL files are not closed in time of the shutdown.
The problem with these errors is fixable, and there are some different reasons behind the problem. It is possible that the Windows Update you were installing before the appearance of the error is troublesome, and those installation files prevent the machine from upgrading or even shutting down.
You need and can fix “Task Host is stopping background tasks” error after the Windows update properly on the system, and that might include upgrading the machine again or triggering the scan for corrupted file repair. You can use ReimageMac Washing Machine X9 and take care of those pieces that are corrupted or damaged due to malware leftovers or faulty OS updates. Other solutions are listed for you.
Fix 1. Turn Off Hybrid shutdown/fast startup
- Press Win+R to open the Run window and type the command powercfg.cpl hit OK.
- Among the options on the left-hand side, select Choose what the power button does.
- Click on the option Change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Uncheck Turn on fast startup.
Fix 2. Check for Updates
- Press the Windows key + I to open settings.
- Click on Updates & Security.
- Select Windows update on the left pane.
- Click on Check for updates.
- You can pause updates or install any pending ones.
Fix 3. Restart InstallService service
- Right-click on the taskbar and click on the task manager.
- Go to the Services tab.
- Look for Installservice. Sort by name and navigate to I for easier findings.
- Right-click on the service and click Restart.
Fix 4. Scan for affected files
- Search for
cmdon the search bar and Run as administrator.
- Type the following command and press Enter after each command:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restore Health
- Run scans and wait.
Fix 5. Reduce shutdown time
- Press Win + R to open the Run window and type the command regedit.
- Press Enter to open the registry editor.
- Go to the path:
- Right-click WaitToKillServiceTimeout in the right pane and change the value to 5000.
- Go to:
- Again, right-click WaitToKillServiceTimeout in the right pane and change the value to 5000.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.