Issue: How to Fix "The specified module could not be found" Error on Windows?
Lately, I’ve been dealing with an error on startup that states “The specified module could not be found.” What is it and what should do I do about it?
“The specified module could not be found” error usually shows on Windows startup and warms. However, this alert might pop up when working with various programs or trying to connect to the Internet. Just like the majority of Windows errors, this one might be caused by a bunch of reasons, starting from virus attack and finishing with corrupted system files.
The most common issues that trigger “The specified module could not be found” alert:
- missing or corrupted DLL files;
- damaged Windows registry entries;
- incorrect installation of programs;
- outdated Windows drivers;
- malware attack.
In order to fix “The specified module could not be found” error, you have to find out what caused it. Usually, the alert explains the problem. For instance, you might receive a pop saying that:
There was a problem starting C:\\Program
The specified module could not be found.
Usually, the error provides a full path to the DLL files or program that were unable to start. Therefore, write this name down and start solving this problem.
Fixing “The specified module could not be found” Error on Windows
First of all, you should check if your computer is not infected with malware. You can do it by scanning the system with Reimage or another security software. If it's not the case and your computer is virus-free, you have to prepare for a quite challenging procedure.
The first step requires identifying and memorizing the program that causes this error. Once it’s done, you can follow these steps and fix “The specified module could not be found” error:
- Click on Start and open Control Panel.
- Look up for Folder Options and open it.
- When in Folder Options, go to View tab.
- In the Advanced settings box, find and tick Show hidden files and folders.
- Then find and untick Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) option.
- Click OK.
Now you have to reboot the computer to Safe Mode with Networking:
- Open Start and click the arrow next to the Shut Down Button (or Lock Button) and click Restart.
- Before Windows logo appears, you have to press and hold the F8 key as the computer restarts.
- Advanced Boot Options screen appears. Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode with Networking option, and click Enter key.
- Log into your PC as an administrator.
When in Safe Mode follow these steps:
- Open Windows Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) keys together.
- Go to Process tab.
- In the list of processes, find entries that are associated with “The specified module could not be found” error and click End process.
The last steps include modifications in Windows registry. In order to avoid accidental damage to the Registry or deletion of wrong keys, you should backup registry. Once it’s done, follow these steps to fix “The specified module could not be found” error:
- Click Windows + R keys and type regedit in the Run box.
- Open Registry Editor.
- Find and delete these registry entries:
- Restart the computer
If you have followed these instructions carefully and attentively, they should have helped to solve the problem that caused “The specified module could not be found” error message.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: