Issue: How to fix "The specified procedure could not be found" error in Windows?
Hello. When I try to launch specific programs I receive the same “The specified procedure could not be found” error on my Windows PC. Is there a way to fix this?
The “The specified procedure could not be found” error message is a common error message that can occur in Windows when a program or application attempts to call a procedure from a DLL file that is missing, corrupted, or incompatible with the version of Windows currently being used. This error can occur for a number of reasons, including improper program or application installation, corrupted or missing system files, and so on.
Depending on the application or program affected, this error can affect users in a variety of ways. It can, for example, prevent users from running specific applications or programs, cause system crashes, and result in data loss or corruption. It can also prevent users from carrying out specific tasks, such as installing new software or updating existing programs.
Repairing or reinstalling the affected program or application, updating the system and drivers, restoring the system to a previous restore point, scanning the system for viruses and malware, and performing a clean boot to identify and resolve any conflicts between system services and applications are all possible solutions to the “specified procedure could not be found” error in Windows.
The specific solution, however, will be determined by the underlying cause of the error and should be approached with caution to avoid causing additional problems. This guide will walk you through 6 steps to resolve the “The specified procedure could not be found” error in Windows. Step-by-step instructions are provided below.
Method 1. Fix Corrupted System Files
Use Command Prompt commands to repair system file corruption:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- Reboot your system
- If SFC returned an error, then use the following command lines, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Method 2. Perform a Malware Scan
It is possible that a malware infection may be the cause of “The specified procedure could not be found” error in Windows. It is important to run a comprehensive security scan to rule out this possibility and ensure that the computer is not infected. This can help to prevent further issues with the Windows operating system and ensure that it is functioning properly.
If you have access to a security scanner, or if your organization pays for one, you can use it to scan your entire system to check for a virus infection. Otherwise, you can use Windows Defender to scan your system:
- Click on the Windows Start menu or press the Windows key on your keyboard
- Type Microsoft Defender in the search bar and click on Microsoft Defender Antivirus to open the application
- Click on the Virus & threat protection option in the left-hand menu
- Click on the Quick scan or Full scan option, depending on your preference
- If you choose Quick scan, Microsoft Defender Antivirus will scan the most vulnerable and commonly infected areas of your computer
- If you choose Full scan, Microsoft Defender Antivirus will scan your entire computer, including all files, folders, and programs
- Click on the Scan now button to start the selected scan type and wait for the scan to complete
- The time it takes will depend on the size of your hard drive and the number of files being scanned
- Once the scan is complete, you will be informed of any detected threats, and you can choose to quarantine or remove them
- If no threats are found, Microsoft Defender Antivirus will inform you that your device is secure
Method 3. Use System Restore
System Restore is a feature in Microsoft Windows that allows users to revert their computer's state to a previous point in time. This can be helpful if you have made changes to your system that are causing problems.
- Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run box.
- Type SystemPropertiesProtection and press Enter.
- Go to the System Protection tab.
- You will see the System Restore… button. Click it to run System Restore.
- Follow the prompts until you can select a restore point.
- Select the one you want (ideally before the issue started occurring) and go ahead with the process.
Method 4. Reinstall the Problematic Program
The installation of the app you are trying to run may be corrupted so you can try to uninstall it and reinstall it to see if it helps.
- Open the Control Panel on your computer.
- Select Uninstall a program from the list of options.
- Find the problematic application from the list of installed programs.
- Click on the application to select it.
- Click the Uninstall button.
- Confirm that you want to uninstall the application by selecting Yes in the confirmation box.
- Restart your computer to complete the uninstallation process.
- Reinstall the program from its official site.
Method 5. Use a System Repair Tool
The FortectMac Washing Machine X9 system repair utility for Windows is a reliable option because it can replace missing and corrupted DLL system files with new ones. DLL (Dynamic Link Library) files are crucial components of the Windows operating system that allow multiple programs to share the same functionality, which can lead to issues if they become corrupted or missing.
The utility can scan your system to identify any missing or damaged DLL files and then replace them with new ones from its extensive database. By doing so, it can help fix issues that may be causing system crashes, BSOD errors, and other problems, ultimately improving the overall performance and stability of your Windows system.
Method 6. Reset Windows
If none of the previous solutions resolve the issue, consider resetting Windows. Keep in mind that this is a time-consuming process, as the Windows reset will remove all your apps and require reinstallation.
- Press the Windows key + I to open Windows Settings.
- Press on Update & security.
- Click on Recovery in the left pane.
- In the right pane, click on Reset PC next to Reset this PC.
- Click on either Keep my files (if you want the computer to be reset without losing any of the user data stored on it) or Remove everything (if you want the computer to be reset and any and all user data stored on it to be deleted.
- If presented with a warning, simply click on Next.
- When prompted to do so, click on Reset.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Access geo-restricted video content with a VPN
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
Don’t pay ransomware authors – use alternative data recovery options
Malware attacks, particularly ransomware, are by far the biggest danger to your pictures, videos, work, or school files. Since cybercriminals use a robust encryption algorithm to lock data, it can no longer be used until a ransom in bitcoin is paid. Instead of paying hackers, you should first try to use alternative recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data. Otherwise, you could also lose your money, along with the files. One of the best tools that could restore at least some of the encrypted files – Data Recovery Pro.