Issue: How to fix “There is insufficient disk space to complete operation” error?
I cannot save Word document on my computer because it gives an error “There is insufficient disk space to complete an operation.” But I can see about 10 GB available on my disk, and this file is not that big. So, what’s wrong with my PC?
“There is insufficient disk space to complete operation” error on Windows generally means one of the three things: actual lack of space on the drive, file corruption or problems with device drivers. Fortunately, these programs can be solved quite easily.
Sometimes, it’s enough just to close other programs or windows. For instance, close the browser or music player and try to save your Word file. Moreover, “There is insufficient disk space to complete operation” error might be caused by antivirus program installed on the PC. Though, temporarily disable it to see if it was the issue.
However, if these simple solutions cannot help you, we have prepared a guide how to fix “There is insufficient disk space to complete operation” error which will explain how to fix corrupted files or disk.
Available methods to fix “There is insufficient disk space to complete operation” error on Windows
Many Windows can be solved by rebooting a computer. Hence, you should save information on Google Drive or other cloud storage platform, and restart your PC. If it does not solve the issue, try the following methods.
Option 1. Reboot the computer to Safe Mode
When you boot a computer to Safe Mode, you will be able to see if some computer drivers are causing the problem. This mode runs computer only by using most important files and drivers.
- Click the Start button and navigate to Settings.
- Choose Update & Security.
- Click Recovery from the left menu.
- Click Restart now button under Advanced startup section.
- In the appeared Choose an option screen. Click on Troubleshoot option.
- Click Advanced options and navigate to Startup Settings.
- Click Restart.
- When your computer boots up, you will see the list of available options. Click 4 or F4 to boot in Safe Mode.
If the “There is insufficient disk space to complete operation” error does not come up, it means that the problem is not related to computer’s default settings or basic drivers.
- Type run in the Windows search box.
- Open Run program and type regedit and then click OK.
- Find and delete add-in keys in the following locations:
Option 2. Try a clean boot
This method helps to fix issues with apps and services that are launched during Windows startup that might be the source of “There is insufficient disk space to complete operation” error.
- Log in to a computer as admin.
- In Windows search box type msconfig.
- Open System Configuration.
- Navigate to Services tab and mark the checkbox near Hide all Microsoft services option at the end of the window.
- Click Disable all option.
- Open Startup tab and click Open Task Manager link.
- Close Task Manager and click OK.
- Restart the computer and check if it helped to fix “There is insufficient disk space to complete operation” error.
Option 3. Modify the normal.dot template
Corrupted normal.dot template is one of the common reasons for insufficient disk space error.
- In the Windows search box enter normal.dot. However, it’s a hidden file, so you have to check Search hidden files option if available. If not, go to Folder options and make sure that show hidden files option is enabled, or try searching for *.dot.
- Once you find normal.dot, rename it to old.dot.
- Restart the computer.
- Open a program/file. It should create a new normal.dot template.
Option 4. Run Disk Cleanup
If your computer actually runs out of space, run Disk Cleanup tool and delete files or programs you do not need:
- Open Start.
- Navigate to All Apps > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup.
- In the appeared Select Drive pop-up, choose the drive you want to clean up and click OK.
- Mark entries you want to clean in the Disk Cleanup tab.
- Click OK.
Option 5. Clean %temp% folder
- Open Run by right-clicking Start and choosing it from the menu.
- Type %temp% in the Run window and click OK.
- When in File Explorer in the TEMP folder, select all files by pressing Ctrl + A keys.
- Click Delete.
Note. If you receive an error that some files cannot be deleted because they are in use, skip them.
Once it’s done, try to save a file. Hopefully, it helped to fix “There is insufficient disk space to complete operation” error on Windows.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
A VPN is also crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that you are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speed.
Therefore, to stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will prevent the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can decide to reboot the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost.
Additionally, you might also be attacked by malware that can corrupt your Windows or encrypt files with a robust encryption algorithm, and ask for a ransom in Bitcoin for the decryption tool. Cybercriminals might not deliver what they promised, however, so it is better to attempt alternative file recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data.
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.