Issue: How to fix "This device is not present" (Code 24) error in Windows?
Hello. I keep getting the “This device is not present” message with Code 24 error on my Windows PC. How do I fix this?
“This device is not present” (Code 24) is a Windows error that can occur for a variety of reasons. When a device is unplugged from the PC without being properly uninstalled, this is a common cause. This may cause the device's driver to be left behind, resulting in conflicts and issues when attempting to use the device again.
Another possible cause of the Code 24 error is the use of outdated or incorrect device drivers. This can occur when the device's driver is not updated to the most recent version, or when the driver installed is incompatible with the version of Windows currently installed on the PC.
The Code 24 error can have a number of consequences for users. For starters, it can prevent the device from functioning, rendering it useless. This can be inconvenient, especially if the device is required for work or daily use. Furthermore, the error can cause system instability and crashes, which can result in data loss or PC damage. In some cases, the error can also prevent other devices from functioning properly, causing a cascade of problems throughout the computer.
Users can try a variety of solutions to resolve the Code 24 error. One option is to reinstall the device, which entails uninstalling the device's driver and reconnecting it to the PC. Another option is to uninstall the device and then reinstall the driver from Device Manager. Users can also attempt to update the device's driver, which entails downloading the most recent driver from the manufacturer's website and installing it on the PC. In some cases, restoring the system to a previous point in time can also help resolve the problem.
In this guide, you will find 5 steps that should help you fix “This device is not present” (Code 24) error in Windows. If you want to avoid a lengthy manual troubleshooting process, you can try using a system repair tool like RestoroMac Washing Machine X9 that can fix most system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, and registry issues. Otherwise, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Solution 1. Repair Corrupted System Files
Use Command Prompt commands to repair system file corruption:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- Reboot your system
- If SFC returned an error, then use the following command lines, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Solution 2. Install Windows Updates
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run box.
- Type ms-settings:windowsupdate in the text box and press Enter.
- Click the Check for updates button.
- If a new update is available, click the Download & Install all button.
- Restart your computer after the process is finished and check to see if the problem is fixed.
Solution 3. Update or Reinstall the Driver
- Click on the Windows button located on the bottom left corner of your screen.
- Type Device Manager in the search bar.
- Click on Device Manager in the search results to open the Device Manager window.
- Scroll down the list of devices and click on the affected device.
- Right-click on it.
- Select Update driver from the context menu that appears.
- In the Update Drivers window, select Search automatically for drivers.
- Windows will now search for the latest drivers for your graphics card and install them if available.
- Wait for the update process to complete, and then restart your computer if prompted.
- Your device driver should now be updated to the latest version available.
- If the issue persists after updating the driver, click on Uninstall device instead.
- Restart your PC.
You can also use a dedicated utility like DriverFix that can find the best drivers for your machine and install them automatically.
Solution 4. Use System Restore
System Restore is a feature in Microsoft Windows that allows users to revert their computer's state to a previous point in time. This can be helpful if you have made changes to your system that are causing problems.
- Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run box.
- Type SystemPropertiesProtection and press Enter.
- Go to the System Protection tab.
- You will see the System Restore… button. Click it to run System Restore.
- Follow the prompts until you can select a restore point.
- Select the one you want (ideally before the issue started occurring) and go ahead with the process.
Solution 5. Repair Install Windows
- Visit the official Microsoft website to download Windows 11 or Windows 10 Installation Media.
- Run the Media Creation Tool and select Create Installation Media for another PC.
- Select your USB drive.
- Let the Process complete of writing the Installation files to the USB drive.
- Click Finish.
- On the PC you wish to upgrade, Press Windows + E to open the File Explorer.
- Open the Removable drive and click Setup.exe.
- Accept the license terms on the next screen.
- Confirm the Upgrade options – Files, apps and Settings are kept.
- Click Install, and the upgrade should start.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.
- ^ Device driver. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
- ^ Chris Hoffman. Everything You Need To Know About the Blue Screen of Death. Howtogeek. Tech Insight Magazine.
- ^ Tim Fisher. What Is the Windows Registry?. Lifewire. Software and Apps.