Issue: How to fix “This device isn’t eligible for the requested build” error in iTunes?
I cannot install updates via iTunes due to the “This device isn't eligible for the requested build” error. How to fix it?
“This device isn't eligible for the requested build” is an iTunes error that might pop up when users try to update Mac, iPhone or iPod. This problem occurs when the device cannot access Apple update servers. The error might be followed by one of these error codes:
- Error 17;
- Error 1639;
- Errors between 3000 and 3020;
- Error 3194;
- Other errors between 3100 and 3999.
There might be many causes for “This device isn't eligible for the requested build” error. Most of the time, necessary updates cannot be installed due to available iTune updates, poor internet connection or other problems that can be solved quite easily. Ways to get rid of that are described below:
Method 1. Update iTunes to fix “This device isn't eligible for the requested build” error
Start fixing the error by trying the easiest option – updating iTunes on your Mac:
- Open iTunes.
- Click iTunes option in the top right menu bar.
- Click “Check for Updates…”
- If there are any available updates, iTunes will offer you to download them by delivering a message: “A new version of iTunes (number of the version) is available. Would you like to download it now?”
- Click “Download iTunes” to install them.
Once the update is installed, you should try to update your device again. If you still receive “This device isn't eligible for the requested build” error, try the second method.
Method 2. Check hosts file for the “This device isn't eligible for the requested build” fix
This method is the hardest one. However, it can help you fix “This device isn't eligible for the requested build” error. Make sure you follow every step in exact order:
- Go to Applications -> Utilities > and open Terminal;
- Copy and paste this command into the terminal:
sudo nano /private/etc/hosts
- Press Return. Terminal will deliver you a warning message:
Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss…
It means that you should follow the instructions carefully to avoid any possible damage to your data;
- Enter your system password and click Enter. Now you should see the hosts file;
- Search for “gs.apple.com” entry;
- Once you find it, add # and space to the beginning of the entry;
- Click Control-O to save the changes;
- When a request for the filename appears, click Return and then Control-X;
- Restart Mac.
Method 3. Check Internet connection and router issues
Sometimes updates cannot be installed due to poor internet connections or when a router blocks access to Apple servers. In order to check the status of internet connection on Mac, follow these steps:
- Go to System Preferences.
- Open Network tab.
- Check if your connection options are correct and working.
If everything is right, you have to take care of the router:
- Connect your computer to modem directly using an ethernet cable. In this way, you will bypass router’s connection.
- Restart the modem.
If this did not help to fix “This device isn't eligible for the requested build” error, you should follow another step.
Method 4. Turn off the security software
Sometimes antivirus, anti-malware, and other security tools can block Apple’s servers. It’s hard to explain such activity. However, you can try to disable your Mac’s protection temporarily (or even uninstall a program) to check if it was an issue. Additionally, you can adjust your antivirus settings and make sure that it does not interfere update installation process.
Now try to install necessary updates through iTunes. However, if nothing has worked, it might be the problem with Mac. Thus, try to install updates using another device.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: