Issue: How to fix Update Error Code 0x80240fff in Windows 10?
I bought a new computer with Windows 10 OS. I tried to check whether there are some updates available, but I just received error code 0x80240fff. It seems that computer cannot even search for the updates. What might cause this error and how to install Windows updates?
Error Code 0x80240fff is quite common for Windows 10 users, especially those who use Windows 10 build 10240. Inability to install updates not only prevents users from using all the latest features and improving their work. It may also lead to serious issues and even put our computer at risk. Malware and viruses of the uses flaws in the security, outdated software or system to launch the attack. Therefore, you should not ignore any update errors and install them as soon as they are available. Talking about the 0x80240fff error prevents the system from searching for the available updates. As a result, users cannot download and install them.
Microsoft explains that this error might be related to the matching Product and Category names. For example, when a user creates a product within System Center Updates Publisher (SCUP) named “Tools,” it may arise an issue. When evaluating the category, there’s two same names – the product named “Tools” and an update classification under the same name. To fix Update Error Code 0x80240fff, you may need to find and decline (or modify) that custom content which has a matching product name with Category name.
How to fix Update Error Code 0x80240fff?
Method 1. Microsoft’s Support engineers suggest two options that might help to solve Update Error Code 0x80240fff. The first one offers to use Windows Update troubleshooter by following these steps:
- Press Windows + X and select Control Panel.
- In the search bar type troubleshooter. When Troubleshooting appears on the list, click it.
- Click Fix problems with Windows Updates which is under the System and Security.
NOTE. Your computer must be connected to the Internet.
Method 2. Try restarting the Background Intelligent Transfer Services. Follow these steps:
- Press Windows + R and type services.msc in the box.
- In the list look for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS), right-click on it and select Properties.
- Make sure that Automatic (Delayed Start) is selected on the General tab, which is next to Startup type. If it isn‘t, select it and click Apply.
- Next to the Service status, check to see whether the service has started or not. If not, click Start.
However, many users who tried these methods reported that they are not working. If they did not help you too, below you will find additional methods that should fix this error.
Note. Fixing Error Code 0x80240fff includes different steps for Windows 10 Pro users and Windows 10 home users.
Method 3. Suitable for Windows 10 Pro users.This issue may be solved by checking the box against Defer upgrades option. Basically, this method allows changing the servers from which Updates are installed.
- Go to Windows Update Settings.
- At the bottom of the page look for Advanced Options and click it.
- Select Defer Updates.
- Try installing updates again. Hopefully, you won’t receive a 0x80240fff error.
Method 4. Suitable for Windows 10 Pro and Windows Home users.
Windows Home version users cannot use Defer Upgrades option. You have to use Media Creation Tool and download necessary updates on your device.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: