Issue: How to fix “USB Device not recognized” error on Windows?
I need your help!!! I’ve been using an external drive (ADATA Nobility NH92) for about a half of the year, and everything worked fine. However, since yesterday, when I plug the device into my Dell laptop running Windows 10 OS, I receive an error “USB Device not recognized: One of the devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognize it.” I tried to reconnect the device and rebooted my PC, but that did not help. Is it possible to fix that? Would highly appreciate your help. Otherwise, I will lose all backups…
Portable storage devices are extremely helpful because they allow storing backups of important personal files or transmit data from one PC/laptop to another. Unfortunately, but USB drives should not be depended as a one and only storage for backups because they may start malfunctioning and delivering the following error “USB Device not recognized: One of the devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it.” Such notification shows up right after plugging the USB drive into the PC. The portable storage is not recognized, so none of the files stored in it can be opened. In most of the cases, Windows stops recognizing the USB due to the following reasons:
- The USB is not working properly;
- Windows OS lacks for updates, which is why OS collides with the USB external hard drive.
- Unstable USB controllers;
- USB is entering selective suspend;
- Outdated drivers;
To find out if the problem is related to the malfunction of the USB drive, we would recommend you to plug it into another PC. If the USB works, then the problem is obviously related to the settings of your PC. Therefore, the following methods may help you to fix “USB Device not recognized” error. If the USB is not recognized by multiple devices, the culprit is the USB drive itself. Therefore, you may need the help of professional IT who would know how to reset the external drive to the factory settings. Unfortunately, the latter solution will cause data loss.
How to fix “USB Device not recognized” error on Windows?
If your PC does not recognize USB driver, but it can be connected to other devices, then the culprit is related to the incorrect settings of the PC. In this case, try the following fixes:
Method 1. Uninstall the USB Driver via Device Manager
- Right-click on Windows key and select Device Manager.
- Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers category and find the USB device, which is not recognized by Windows.
- Right-click it and select Uninstall.
- Reboot your PC and try to reconnect your USB drive.
Method 2. Update the USB driver
For this purpose, you can either use third-party software that would update drivers automatically or navigate to the PC manufacturer’s website and download the latest USB drive compatible with Windows 10 or another Windows version.
Method 3. Change the USB Selective Suspend Settings
- Right-click on Windows key and select Control Panel.
- Select Power Plan and open Power Options.
- Click Show additional plan and select Change settings.
- Select High performance and click on Change plan settings.
- Click Change advanced power settings and select Change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Expand USB settings category and click on USB selective suspend setting.
- Disable On battery and Plugged in settings.
- Click Apply to save the changes and reboot the system.
Hopefully, these methods helped you to fix “USB Device not recognized” error when plugging in the USB drive. If the process failed, then the only solution would be to ask a professional IT specialists for the help.
TIP: Don’t forget to keep your PC optimized. Since its difficult to maintain all system files, programs, and settings, our recommendation would be to rely on a professional tool that would do that for you. Our recommendation would be Reimage.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
This patented repair process uses a database of 25 million components that can replace any damaged or missing file on user's computer.
To repair damaged system, you have to purchase the licensed version of Reimage malware removal tool.