Issue: How to fix wfs.exe missing in Windows?
Hello. I got a brand new Windows 11 laptop and I keep getting an error message that says wfs.exe is missing. What is it and how do I fix it?
The wfs.exe file is a component of the Windows Fax and Scan feature in the Windows operating system. It is a built-in feature in Windows that allows users to send and receive faxes, as well as scan and save images and documents to the computer.
The Windows Fax and Scan feature will not function properly if the wfs.exe file is missing, and users may be unable to send or receive faxes, or scan and save images and documents to their computer. This has the potential to have a significant impact on individuals and businesses that rely on this feature for day-to-day operations. There are several potential solutions to the missing wfs.exe problem.
To restore the missing file, one option is to use the Windows System File Checker (SFC) tool. Reinstalling the Windows Fax and Scan feature via the Control Panel or the DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) tool is another option. In some cases, the missing “wfs.exe” file may be the result of a corrupted or damaged Windows installation, and a clean installation of the operating system may be necessary to resolve the problem.
In this guide, you will find 4 steps that should help you fix wfs.exe missing in Windows. However, the manual troubleshooting process may be lengthy. You can use a maintenance tool like RestoroMac Washing Machine X9 that can fix most system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, and registry issues. Otherwise, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Solution 1. Fix Corrupted System Files
Use Command Prompt commands to repair system file corruption:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- Reboot your system
- If SFC returned an error, then use the following command lines, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Solution 2. Install the Windows Fax and Scan
Use the Settings app:
- Press the Windows key + I to open Settings
- Select Apps and navigate to the right pane and click Optional features
- Click View features
- On the Add an additional feature window type scan in the search bar
- Check the box for Windows Fax and Scan (8.87 MB)
- Click Next and Install
Use the Control Panel:
- Right-click on Start and select Run
- Type appwiz.cpl in the Run box
- In the Programs and Features window click on the link Turn Windows features on or off
- Find Windows Fax and Scan and check the option
- Select OK
- If prompted, restart your computer
Use the Command Prompt:
- Click on the Search button
- Type cmd in the search box
- Right-click on the Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
- When the User Account Control prompt appears, choose Yes
- In the Command Prompt window type the following command and hit Enter:
dism /Online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:Print.Fax.Scan~~~~0.0.1.0
Solution 3. Copy wfs.exe from Another PC
- Insert a flash drive into a computer that has WFS.exe
- Press the Windows key + E to open File Explorer
- Browse to this location C:\WINDOWS\system32\WFS.exe
- Copy the file and paste it onto the flash drive
- Eject the flash drive and insert it into your computer
- Copy the WFS.exe file from the flash drive
- Browse to the location C:\WINDOWS\system32
- Paste the WFS.exe file into the directory
Solution 4. Repair Install Windows
- Visit the official Microsoft website to download Windows 11 or Windows 10 Installation Media
- Run the Media Creation Tool and select Create Installation Media for another PC
- Select your USB drive
- Let the Process complete of writing the Installation files to the USB drive
- Click Finish
- On the PC you wish to upgrade, Press Windows + E to open the File Explorer
- Open the Removable drive and click Setup.exe
- Accept the license terms on the next screen
- Confirm the Upgrade options – Files, apps and Settings are kept
- Click Install, and the upgrade should start
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.
- ^ DISM - Deployment Image Servicing and Management. Microsoft. Documentation.
- ^ Chris Hoffman. Everything You Need To Know About the Blue Screen of Death. Howtogeek. Tech Insight Magazine.
- ^ Tim Fisher. What Is the Windows Registry?. Lifewire. Software and Apps.