Issue: How to Fix Windows 10 Update Error Code: 0x80242ff?
Windows 10 Update service end up with a failure each time I try to run KB4010672 update. In fact, none of the pending updates, including Flash Player, Microsoft Edge, and Windows Defender, are installed. Windows Update service throws an error code: 0x80242ff all the time. How should I fix that?
Microsoft releases updates for Windows 10 on a regular basis. Cumulative updates show up approximately once a week and there are loads of software and driver updates emerging separately. The installation of available updates is a must to maintain a proper PC’s performance, prevent security loopholes and stick to the latest Windows 10 innovations. However, Windows Update is a complicated service, which frequently crashes or fails to work properly. The list of issues related to Windows updates consists of a near-hundred of errors. Each day we come up with a new Windows Update service issue, so this time we are going to describe Error Code 0x80242ff.
In general, its specificities are analogous to the other Windows Update bugs that we have already described in our blog. Usually, it harasses those Windows 10 users who have recently upgraded from older Windows versions. Nevertheless, according to other victims, it gets clear that 0x80242ff error may also show up for people who are using Windows 10 for a long time. The problem might have been fostered by malware, incomplete download of preceding updates, damaged files/registry entries and so on. Since the exact trigger hasn’t been detected, to concentrate one solution method is not enough. In this post, we will provide four 0x80242ff error fixes that turn out to be the most effective.
Method 1. Run a system scan with a powerful anti-malware
No need to expand in terms of the consequences that virus or malware infections may lead to. Therefore, if you start encountering any error on Windows 10, including the failure of Windows Update service, it’s highly advisable to run a complete system scan with a professional anti-malware. Ugetfix team recommends using Reimage due to the fact that it combines system’s optimization, virus/malware removal, prevention of infections, and system errors.
Method 2. Restart Windows Update service
- Click Win key + R, type services.msc, and click Enter.
- Locate Windows Defender service.
- If the status of Windows Defender is not indicated (the column is blank), right-click on it, and select Start.
- It might be that force start of Windows Defender ends up with an error. In this case, find the option Startup Type, and set it to Automatic.
- Finally, restart the system and try to run the update.
Method 3. Run DISM and sfc / scannow tools
- Click Win key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Type sfc /scannow command and press Enter.
- Then type the following commands and hit Enter after each of them:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Close Command Prompt and reboot the system.
Method 4. Check the status of Windows Firewall
It often comes out that the Windows Update errors, including 0x80242ff bug, are triggered by Windows Firewall clash with the third-party anti-virus. If you are using one (Norton, Avast, Avira, etc.), try to disable it temporarily and perform the following steps:
- Click Win key + R, type Firewall.cpl, and press OK.
- Select Turn Windows Firewall On or Off option.
- Go to Private network Settings and select Turn off Windows firewall (not recommended).
- Once done, navigate to the Public network Settings and select Turn off Windows firewall (not recommended).
- Click OK to save the changes.
Once done, navigate to the Windows Update and check if the service works fine. If it’s not, then our last recommendation would be to try using a System Restore Point. This last solution would work if the update service has been working properly and crashed as if out of nowhere. A System Restore should fix Windows Update Error 0x80242ff completely.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
This patented repair process uses a database of 25 million components that can replace any damaged or missing file on user's computer.
To repair damaged system, you have to purchase the licensed version of Reimage malware removal tool.