Issue: How to fix Windows could not start the remote desktop service error?
Hello. I tried to connect to another computer remotely but I got an error “Windows could not start the remote desktop service.” How do I fix this? Any tips would be appreciated.
Windows is one of the most popular operating systems in the world. People love it for its user-friendly interface, customization abilities, built-in troubleshooters, and much more. However, it relies on thousands of processes running in the background to work smoothly. If even one of these processes goes rogue, people can experience issues when trying to use a Windows machine.
Recently, users have reported a “Windows could not start the remote desktop service” error. Remote desktop service is one of the components of Microsoft Windows that allow a user to initiate and control an interactive session on a remote computer or virtual machine over a network connection. The error may appear when users are trying to connect to another device remotely. The error is known to appear on Windows 10 and Windows 11.
In this guide, you will find 6 steps that could help you fix Windows could not start the remote desktop service error. However, troubleshooting can be a lengthy process, so you can also scan your machine with a maintenance tool like ReimageMac Washing Machine X9. It can fix various system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, and registry issues. Otherwise, follow the instructions below.
Solution 1. Repair Corrupted System Files
Use Command Prompt commands to repair system file corruption:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- Reboot your system
- If SFC returned an error, then use the following command lines, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Solution 2. Run System Restore
- Launch Control Panel, select System and Security
- Click on System from the list
- Choose System Protection
- Head over to System Protection tab and click on System Restore
- Follow the on-screen instructions to proceed. Your screen should display a confirmation prompt, choose Recommend Restore
- Once the process is completed, your operating system will move to a previous point in time
Solution 3. Disable IPv6 Protocol
- Use the shortcut, Windows Key + X to open the Control Panel
- Open Network and Internet
- Open Network and Sharing Center
- Click Change Adapter Settings
- Right-click your connection and go to Properties
- Uncheck the box next to Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) to disable it
- Select OK to confirm the change
Solution 4. Enable Remote Assistance
- Right-click on the This PC icon on your desktop and then click Properties
- Click Remote settings
- In the System Properties window, go to the Remote tab and make sure the Allow Remote Assistance connections to this computer check box is checked
- Next, click Advanced
- If you clear the Allow this computer to be controlled remotely checkbox, the helpers can see your screen, but not take control of your PC
- Click OK to save your changes
Solution 5. Disable Custom Scaling
- Press Windows key + I to open the Settings
- Click on System from the options to your left and then click on Display
- Select Turn off custom scaling and sign out
- This will sign you out and the new settings will be saved
Solution 6. Create a new User Account
- Right-click the Windows Start menu button
- Select Control Panel and go to User Accounts
- Click on Manage another account
- Select Add a new user in PC settings
- Use the Accounts dialog box to configure a new account
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.