Issue: How to fix Windows Script Host error?
Hello. Every time I load my Windows PC, I get a Windows Host Script error. I did not do anything in particular that I think could be causing this – it just started happening randomly. Any idea on what it is and what is causing it? Would be nice if I could get rid of this popup for good.
Windows Host Script error is something that you might come across at any time when using Windows, regardless of which version of the operating system you are using. As evident, such an unexpected appearance of errors indicates that something is not going well within the operation of the system, and a Windows Host Script error fix should be applied.
However, it is very common for users to be confused about the message that is provided within the error itself. There could be several different instances, such as:
- The system cannot find the file specified
- Object expected
- Expected statement, etc.
Within the message, users are also often pointed towards which VBS script failed to run, although this does not give much of a resolution to the problem. The confusion is understandable because the Windows Host Script error is not reliant on the software installed on the device but is rather an error line within a script, which is a part of the operating system itself.
That being said, the reason for this issue to occur can vary, although are most commonly indicate a malware infection. Therefore, the very first step in an effort to fix Windows Host Script error, you should perform a full system scan with reliable anti-malware software.
However, malware infections are not always a reason for the error to show up, as they can also be caused by corrupted system files, registry problems, or other issues. Therefore, below you will find several solutions for this error, so make sure you follow each step carefully.
Fix 1. Scan your PC for malware
While there are plenty of third-party security applications on the market, you don't have to pay for the comprehensive security of your device, thanks to Windows Defender. Even though Microsoft's Defended didn't do too well upon its release, the software is currently on par with many other established security vendors out there.
That being said, third-party apps can offer you an additional layer of security where Windows Defender fails, so it is up to you what you choose. As for now, you need to perform a full system scan and ensure that malware is eliminated, in case it is the reason for the Windows Host Script error to show up in the first place.
If you are using Windows Defender and nothing was flagged, you should try running Windows Defender offline scanner:
- Right-click on Start and pick Settings
- Go to Update & Security
- Pick Windows Security on the left side and click on Virus & threat protection
- Select Scan options
- Scroll down and pick Microsoft Defender Offline scan and press Scan now
- This will restart your PC and run a deep system scan.
Fix 2. Repair the VBS error automatically
Since Windows Host Script error might be the direct result of damage done to Windows system files by malware infection, RestoroMac Washing Machine X9 could serve you as a perfect solution to fix corrupted system files automatically. Its patented technology replaces corrupted system data with a brand new one from an internal database which consists of more than 250,000 legitimate, up-to-date Windows files.
Besides, by employing this tool, your system can easily recover from other errors, BSODs, DLL missing files, and much more – all just within a few minutes.
Fix 3. Run SFC and DISM scans
System File Checker can diagnose and repair problematic or corrupted Windows system files:
- Type in cmd in Windows search
- Right-click on Command Prompt and pick Run as administrator
- In the new window type in sfc /scannow and press Enter
- Wait till scan finishes and reboot your PC.
- If the SFC scan did not find anything or could not fix the found integrity violations, you should perform Windows image repair with DISM. Simply open Command Prompt as admin once again and run the following commands, pressing Enter after each:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Fix 4. Restore the default value of VBS via registry
Warning: Modifying Windows Registry incorrectly could result in errors, system file corruption, and OS destruction. Make sure you backup the Registry database before you proceed with the steps below.
- Type in regedit in Windows search and press Enter
- If User Account Control shows up, click Yes
- Navigate to the following location:
- Double-click on Default key on the right
- Ensure that key's value is set to VBSFile and click OK.
Fix 5. Disable Windows Script Host via registry
Windows Script Host was introduced with Windows 98 – it enables more programming languages to be run on the computer. Unfortunately, if malware manages to break into the computer, it might abuse this and gain access to more internal functions. Thus, disabling Windows Script Host altogether if it is not used is a good security practice that would also stop error related to it to show up.
- Type in regedit in Windows search and press Enter
- Go to the following location in the Registry Editor:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings\
- If you can't see Enabled key on the right, create it as follows:
- Right-click on an empty space within the right window and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value
- Double-click the key and set its value to 0
- Now go to the following location, and repeat the steps above:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings\
Note: Each time a VBS file would be attempted to launch, you would receive an error “Windows Host Script access is disabled on this machine.” You can re-enable it by changing the key value of the mentioned registry keys back to 1.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Access geo-restricted video content with a VPN
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
Don’t pay ransomware authors – use alternative data recovery options
Malware attacks, particularly ransomware, are by far the biggest danger to your pictures, videos, work, or school files. Since cybercriminals use a robust encryption algorithm to lock data, it can no longer be used until a ransom in bitcoin is paid. Instead of paying hackers, you should first try to use alternative recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data. Otherwise, you could also lose your money, along with the files. One of the best tools that could restore at least some of the encrypted files – Data Recovery Pro.
- ^ Chris Hoffman. What Is VBScript, and Why Did Microsoft Just Kill It?. How-To Geek. Site that explains technology.
- ^ Malware. Wikipedia. The free encyclopedia.
- ^ A Guide to Avoid Being a Crypto-Ransomware Victim. Webroot. Security White Paper.