Issue: How to fix Windows update error 0x80072eff?
Hello. When I try to install Windows updates, I get the 0x80072eff error code. Is there a way to fix this?
When attempting to update their operating system, users frequently run into Windows update errors. Usually, this indicates a connection issue between the user's machine and the Windows Update servers. The fundamental problem might have to do with a server, network connectivity, or third-party security software incompatibilities.
0x80072eff error can significantly impact users by preventing them from installing critical updates, security patches, and feature enhancements provided by Microsoft. If this problem is not fixed, the system can become less stable and more susceptible to security flaws. Users can also lose out on new features and performance enhancements included in the most recent releases.
An interruption in the internet connection is one potential reason for error 0x80072eff, as it prevents the user's device from communicating with Microsoft servers. Third-party firewalls or antivirus programs could also be a factor, as they can interfere with the connections required for Windows Update to operate correctly. This error may also be caused by server-side problems on Microsoft's end, particularly during periods of high update traffic or when their servers are experiencing trouble.
To resolve this issue, users can explore various solutions, such as checking and restoring their internet connection, disabling or configuring third-party security software, and ensuring that Windows Update services are running correctly. In this guide, you will find 7 steps that should help you fix Windows update error 0x80072eff.
You can also try a maintenance tool like FortectMac Washing Machine X9 that can fix most system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, registry issues, or clear cookies and cache automatically. Otherwise, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Method 1. Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Press the Windows key + I to open Windows Settings.
- Within the Windows Settings, navigate to the System tab.
- Scroll down the options in the System tab and locate Troubleshoot; click on it.
- Inside the Troubleshoot screen, find and select the Other troubleshooters option.
- A list of various troubleshooters will be displayed.
- Look for the Windows Update troubleshooter in the list.
- Click on the Run button associated with the Windows Update troubleshooter.
- Allow the troubleshooter to complete its process.
- Once the troubleshooter finishes, check your computer to determine if the issue has been resolved.
Method 2. Fix Corrupted System Files
Use Command Prompt commands to repair system file corruption:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- Reboot your system
- If SFC returned an error, then use the following command lines, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Method 3. Restart the Windows Update Service
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog.
- Type services.msc into the Run dialog's input box.
- Click OK or press Enter.
- The Services window will appear.
- Scroll through the list of services to locate the Windows Update Service.
- Right-click on the Windows Update Service from the list.
- Choose Restart from the context menu.
Method 4. Reset Windows Update Components
- Click on Search and type cmd.
- Select Run as administrator.
- When User account control appears, click on Yes.
- Copy and paste the following commands, one at a time, then press Enter after each:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\*.*”
rmdir %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution /S /Q
rmdir %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 /S /Q
regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll
regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dll
regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll
netsh winsock reset
netsh winsock reset proxy
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
Restart your PC.
Method 5. Disable Proxy
- Press the Windows key + I to open the Settings app.
- Navigate to Network & Internet > Proxy.
- Locate the Use a proxy server toggle.
- Disable the toggle to turn off the proxy server.
Method 6. Try Clean Boot
- Open the Search menu, type in system configuration, and press Enter.
- Under the Services tab, tick the Hide all Microsoft services box.
- Click on Disable all button.
- Head over to the Startup tab and click on Open Task Manager.
- Select a third-party program and click on Disable at the top.
- Repeat this step to disable all third-party apps and programs.
- Restart your PC to enter the clean boot state and see if the issue persists.
- If the issue disappeared in the clean boot state, then you can be certain that a third-party app is causing it.
- Go through all recently installed apps or programs and remove them one by one.
Method 7. Update Windows Manually
Whenever Windows updates fail to install automatically, you can always try doing it manually. First, you need to find out which KB number is relevant to you.
- Right-click Start button and pick Settings.
- Go to Update & Security.
- On the right, locate and click View update history.
- From the list, note the KB number that fails to install with the error code.
- Go to Microsoft Update Catalog page, type in the KB number, and press Search.
- Download the update and install it manually.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.